How AirPlay 2 and the Apple TV App Work on a Samsung TV

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 16, 2019.

1. luiss macrumors newbie

luiss

I have a 2018 Series 7 and 2018 Series 6. They both had the latest firmware (1251) long before the announcement day. The Series 7 started showing up as an Airplay device about 2 days after the announcement. I'm still waiting for the series 6 to enable it's Airplay support. Its a NU6950, which is explicitly listed as compatible on Samsung's site.

2. ksec macrumors 6502a

One Basic Question, With the Apple TV Apps and Support of AirPlay 2, what are the missing features or functions as compared to Apple TV 4K, apart from Gaming?

3. ActionJacksonHern macrumors newbie

ActionJacksonHern

I called Samsung, they said the firmware update will be released “soon, in a few days”. Version 1251.0 is still the current version.

4. lantree macrumors member

Guys check the release dates of your Series 6 tv's , it could well be a 2017 model.
    Looks like my QE55Q6FAMT was orginally released in 2017
    Just done a manual firmware update from the Samsung web site with no luck.
    Looks like I will have to stick with the apple tv

5. Sebosz macrumors newbie

Is it possible to use Home Collection feature using this app? I mean I would like to watch a movie that I manually added to my iTunes library.

6. BarrettF77 macrumors regular

BarrettF77

The SoC in a Samsung isn’t gonna be close to the A10. Sorry bud, there’s too many games, and other functions that Apple goes into the Apple TV that they aren’t gonna hand over to any 3rd parties.

7. Seoras macrumors 6502

Seoras

I don't think they can. They will always need a fall back but more importantly, to retain a strong negotiation position of strength, they can't leave themselves at the mercy of the TV makers for getting Apple content on screen. Samsung and others can now sell their TV's with the incentive of "save money on an Apple TV by getting it built in". No ATV and there's no sweetener in the sale anymore.
    Apple did well to persuade so many to include it in their TVs.

Remember that an ATV box only needs to be sold at cost price by Apple. The money is made in services and consumables. It's like the ink jet printers which were sold dirt cheap only for us to be price gouged for the ink refills. So it doesn't matter if they don't make a profit on ATV, we know they do from their services business.

8. BarrettF77 macrumors regular

BarrettF77

Do we know if you can Airplay from the television to the Apple HomePods from the tv natively? I know this works from the Apple TV box itself, but not from the TV sets. Case and point, hooking an xbox one to a tv and it airplay’s the sound to the HomePods.

A feature I’d really be interested in and if they went to 5.1 wireless. They have the horsepower inside to do it

9. alexandr macrumors 6502a

alexandr

i guess the games are a good point. it's ok, i'm not involved in any way - let them keep 'em i say)))

10. s15119 macrumors 68000

s15119

Where did you get the idea that they are phasing it out? I sure hope they are not. Wonderful device.

11. alexandr macrumors 6502a

alexandr

sony's doing it too. i think eventually all of the makers will want to implement this in order to not limit their audience.
    also, are you saying that the atv costs $180, or however much they are to make?? or did i misunderstand you?

12. rkaufmann87, May 16, 2019
    Last edited: May 16, 2019

rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

In order to get the update you have to navigate to the Samsung Firmware update Center and download and then install the firmware update on your TV. I used a USB flash drive to update my TV.

Then you should be able to get the Apple TV App on your TV. Please verify that your Samsung is a 2018 or 2019 model. Samsung is VERY clear which TV's they support this feature on if you have been keeping up to date with MacRumors and Samsungs press releases.

The Apple TV app works perfectly on my 2018 Samsung QN65Q6FNAFXZA . I also have an 4 Apple TV and have several 3rd generation AppleTVS.

13. s15119 macrumors 68000

s15119

It's about the size of a hockey puck. And even these Samsung TVs do not have all the functions of the ATV.

14. alexandr macrumors 6502a

alexandr

just the impression that i got from the keynote. i guess it's just me :)

15. twolf2919 macrumors regular

Samsung's not Apple's competitor in the streaming field - and what valuable part of Apple's ecosystem is being commoditized? Sure, Apple will sell a few less Apple TV set top boxes, but they weren't selling those like hotcakes in the first place. In return they'll get the opportunity to upsell their content to millions of people that aren't yet in the Apple ecosystem. And, if anything, it enlarges the Apple ecosystem to more devices - I, as an Apple iPhone user, appreciate now being able to AirPlay to a number of TVs now. Maybe in the near future, I won't even have to bring my Apple TV box when I stay in hotels.

16. alexandr macrumors 6502a

alexandr

yes, i was already presented with the hockey puck comparison)

not yet.. ;)

17. benshive macrumors regular

There's no new firmware update available. It's a 2018 6 Series. It's been on every list of compatible TVs I've seen so far.

18. AMTYVLE, May 16, 2019
    Last edited: May 16, 2019

AMTYVLE macrumors 6502a

AMTYVLE

How do you find out the year of the TV? I own the Samsung 4k Curved UHD 55" Model #UN55NU7300FXZA Bought last summer. Google search or Samsung's website doesn't even have the year...

Edit: Never mind. Got home and checked my TV. I now have Apple TV and Airplay. Software Version is 1251.

19. twolf2919 macrumors regular

Does anyone know whether the TV itself can AirPlay to other Apple devices? E.g. will the Samsung be able to AirPlay its sound to a pair of HomePods? I currently do this with the Apple TV box - a 'poor' man's sound bar.

20. bigdog5142 macrumors 6502a

bigdog5142

My Samsung series 7 upgraded at some point this week...I'm kinda torn. I'm really considering selling my AppleTV 4k...do we know that all the content that plays via the app on the TV is going to be 4K content?

21. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

If it is a 2018 6 series (mine is) the most up-to-date firmware is V1251 which is what makes the TV compatible with the Apple TV App. What is the latest firmware available for your TV and are you dead positive it is a 2018 or later model. it is possible you have firmware 1251 but have not added the Apple TV app on your TV yet.

22. sos47 macrumors regular

sos47

Air Playing music to a tv makes no sense. Air Playing to good speakers makes sense. That means Apple TV is always the best choice... for little money

23. Seoras macrumors 6502

Seoras

Yes. This was covered by the tech press shortly after the ATV 4K launched.
    https://www.idownloadblog.com/2019/02/04/apple-tv-4k-homepod-selling-at-cost/
    https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/02/01/apple-rumored-to-sell-apple-tv-4k-homepod-at-cost
    Google for "apple tv 4k build cost" for more articles.

Same for the HomePod. I think the estimate was it sold for less than what it cost to build it.

MR covered both of these stories. Go look in the archives.

Apple makes money not from the hardware it sells to you but from the services you subscribe to on top of it.

24. prasand macrumors 6502

prasand

I have a very expensive Sony Bravia Android TV, and the app experience sucks in comparison to the TvOS experience. For that reason all of my TVs have an Apple TV 4K attached to them.

An Apple TV app, does not replace nor is it a substitute for the TVOS experience. It is simply a method for those without Apple TVs to access Apple content. That would be like thinking that making Apple Music available on other platforms means “Apple is phasing out the iPhone”. Many will still want the full experience and the Apple device. Seems you don’t really understand the value of Apple products.

25. and 1989 others macrumors regular

I'm kinda glad I did get an Apple TV (4K) use it every day and it streams to my 2017 Samsung TV model, superb quality and picture.

And the best bit I can take it to relatives houses or on holiday.

26. alexandr macrumors 6502a

alexandr

no no, i totally get the concept, it's just mind-boggling to me that it cost that much to make these devices. i'll read the articles, thanks!