How AirPlay 2 and the Apple TV App Work on a Samsung TV

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 16, 2019.

1. loon3y macrumors 65816

loon3y

lol, they're definitely not phasing it out.

Your assumptions is correctly put "I don't need it because I'm ok with the functions on my Smart TV". Keyword 'I'.

Its one of the best streaming devices out there, miles better than my Samsungs Android/SmartTV OS and the Airplay feature.

it takes up room? I hardly believe that's the case for most, the thing is smaller than the palm of my hand. For me it takes up an HDMI port, which I solved with an HDMI HUB.

Not to mention the hardware makes it almost limitless in terms of what it can do compared to a roku, google chrome cast or a Smart TV.

You're literally going off your own perception of things.

2. alexandr macrumors 6502a

alexandr

if you only use your tv with the internet, yes, but not everyone does. tv's can still function perfectly well without an atv)
    --- Post Merged, May 21, 2019 ---
    your assumption is wrong - i do not own a smart tv) but it is true - i didn't take into consideration all of the reasons for the atv to exist, and after the last keynote i got the impression that the smart tv app was meant to phase out the box.

3. loon3y macrumors 65816

loon3y

I see, what do you use? I probably wouldn't have on either if I was still rooming with people or have a crappier Smart TV rather than a 4K Samsung.

But in terms of what my colleagues and friends use in several different cities, states, countries ( I travel a lot) and my own opinion of it being in the tech industry and (like the most of us in our generation) that grew up with technology I hardly see it phasing out not with APPLE trying to promote their original streaming productions.

I only see more people purchasing it, since especially in most 1st world nations most people own iPhones. Its much more convenient to stream to an AppleTV compared to any other device when using an iPhone. Not that its soo difficult to use the steaming features of a Smart TV or chrome cast but its just that much easier.

When I lived with a roommate we ran everything on the Smart TV. The OS and remote was such a pain we just used my PS4 to stream. Its much better with the newer Smart TVs but still its much more convenient to use the AppleTV than the Smart TV functions.

I don't see it phasing out, I actually see it making its mark with roku and amazon's fire stick. I also own a fire stick, that thing doesn't get used anymore.

I used a fire stick for one purpose and the purpose isn't relevant anymore with the influx of live sports on all the apps.

Not to mention ESPN MULTI CAST!!! we're in the future!!!

4. alexandr macrumors 6502a

alexandr

right, i have tons of dvd/brays, which i haven't phased out yet, so i have a sony b-ray which gives me most of the atv functions in addition to a usb slot for all of the digital content i have. one of my friends stayed with me for a while and we used his atv, which def has a better experience, but it just never made sense for me to buy one as it wasn't really going to add anything new for me.

maybe i'll reconsider)

5. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

I did it manually!

6. jessejessjesjej macrumors newbie

What?!

I tried that and it didn’t work it says no update. I have the version 1251, could you post the firmware link you used?

7. LikEth4t macrumors newbie

LikEth4t

Hello guys, i have very disappointing problem with AirPlay 2. When the code is entered, impossible to connect. I’ve called Samsung and Apple, but they can’t understand. I have a UHD 2018.

8. Vince034 macrumors newbie

Vince034

I’m exactly in the same situation with my qled 2018. I’ve made plenty of tests and called apple and Samsung in vain.
    I’ve tried AirPlay with my iPhone on a série 7 2018 and it worked perfectly at first attempt.
    Can’t understand why it doesn’t with my qled. I hope someone will find

9. KCMOJoe macrumors newbie

KCMOJoe

Does this mean I can access/stream movies saved to my iMacs HDD like I can on my Apple TV? Or is it just movies purchased via iTunes?

10. weup togo macrumors 6502

The situations are not remotely comparable. When iTunes came out for Windows to support the iPod, nobody but Mac users were buying Apple products. The iPod was the hardware Apple was trying to sell into a new market.

There is no new market here and nothing to sell except for Tim's illusory grasp for services revenue.

11. Moasem macrumors newbie

Wow Samsung 2017 model UHD 6 series apparently not smart enough for Apple TV app?? Only on 2018 2019 the only real difference is newer has better FPS