How AirPlay 2 and the Apple TV App Work on a Samsung TV

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 16, 2019.

1. LarryJoe33 macrumors 65832

LarryJoe33

Apple TV 4K does a lot more than just provide the TV App.

2. firewire9000 macrumors 6502

Not working, already tested.

3. SpringKid macrumors newbie

SpringKid

Updated and tried it out on my 2018 Q9F. I'm not impressed.

The app loads noticeably slower than on my Apple TV, and whenever I want to continue watching a movie I've bought, it starts from the beginning. Playing it from my Apple TV, it continues where I left off, as expected. This alone makes it pretty much unusable for me.

AirPlay works fine, but since I already have this functionality both in my surround receiver and Apple TV, for me there's not much to gain having it play via my TV over ARC to the receiver.

And as silly as it sounds, I really miss having the Apple TV screensavers displayed while playing music.

4. BuffaloTF macrumors 6502a

You've got it right. It's going to come down to use case, in my eyes. If the apps you need are available, why not use the ones built in?

At the other end, the speed and functionality comes into play too -- the Apple TV is the fastest for sure. That much itself won't mean much unless you're comparing it to some older Roku's or Fire Sticks, and (while it's improving) Android TV... which themselves are functional, just not always the prettiest or fastest.

5. alexandr macrumors 6502a

alexandr

loud and clear! no wonder you've got 2. :)

6. AppleHeadPhx macrumors newbie

Does it support the ability to stream a 4K video recorded on an iPhone to the TV?

7. jeffbax macrumors member

Kind of rich that you can buy things from Apple through Apple's app on other platforms, but we can't just buy Kindle books or Amazon Rentals on iOS.

8. Mr Lizard macrumors member

Mr Lizard

There’s no way I’d buy a smart TV and connect it to the internet. Those things are a privacy disaster.

I’ll stick with the Apple TV box.

9. brandiop macrumors newbie

Thanks for this! Very helpful! I really need this for my Samsung TV since I'm having a hardtime using the Apple TV app on it.

10. ksec macrumors 6502a

Thanks, I will wait for another generation before getting a "Smart" TV. Hopefully things will be faster then, I hate UI sluggishness.

11. dwalnut macrumors newbie

dwalnut

12. jessejessjesjej macrumors newbie

I have the 50'' nu6900 which is on the list. I contacted Samsung and they won't say when they're rolling out the update. They just say soon. It's kind of annoying. If anyone has any advice on updating or if you have an update for the 6 series let me know.

13. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

What country do you live in, it is possible it has not be rolled out in all countries. I live in California and have it on my Series 6 however for how I watch TV, it's of no value to me.

14. jessejessjesjej macrumors newbie

UN50NU6900BXZA

That’s my model number. I’m in Oregon so I imagine it’s the same country region unless they’re going by SW and NW. I just have movies on iTunes I’d like to watch. Did you have to update manually or did it just appear ?

15. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

I went to Samsung's Download Center ( https://www.samsung.com/us/support/downloads/ ) , located the Firmware, downloaded to a Flash Drive installed on my computer. Then plugged the Flash Drive into the TV and turned on the TV and let it update.

Also, you can just follow the instructions on Samsung's site https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00062224/ to install. It's all pretty simple as long as you follow the advice from Samsung.

16. Vince034 macrumors newbie

Vince034

Hello guys
    I’m French and have a q6f2018, qled, with last update. Apple TV app works fine but I have a problem with AirPlay 2 and can’t find any solution here..
    My iPhone and tv are in the same network and when try to use AirPlay from iPhone, my tv shows a code. When I enter the code on my phone, it says impossible to connect. I’ve tried a lot of things, change network, try ethernet, WiFi, unplug everything in my house, change tv name.... no result.
    I’ve called Samsung, Apple... still waiting...
    I’ve red some other people had the same trouble but nothing new.
    iPhone iOS 12.3, tv 1251.0..
    Can someone help me ?

17. jmurphyau macrumors newbie

Sorry if that has already been asked and answered there was so many pages I did not got through every single post.

Can you stream from these AirPlay enabled TVs to a HomePod? I love using the HomePod when watching movies and if I could also use it when watching regular free to air TV that would be awesome.

18. Keane16 macrumors 6502a

Keane16

Looks like it and it's a great move.

Reminds of SJ releasing iTunes on Windows. A huge move which people questioned (as you are with this). But it was a masterstroke.

19. Dedek macrumors newbie

I am based in London UK and have a Samsung Series 7 4K TV (UE49MU7000).
    I have upgraded manually to the newest firmware but I cannot find the Apple TV app. I understand that my TV might be too old for Airplay 2 but I can't see why it could not access an app to download, rent or buy content.
    The Samsung support team on the phone has told me that my TV should be a NU model and not an MU, but when I check online I can see that the NU model is not meant to be as good as the MU one. Really confusing...

20. fede777 macrumors newbie

fede777

The list says UHD 6 series, but as far as I know the 6 series are from 2017.

I have a MU6100 model, which I'm pretty sure is from 2017, firmware version 1270.3 with no Apple TV app or AirPlay.

Will I get it?

21. Dedek, May 20, 2019
    Last edited: May 20, 2019

Dedek macrumors newbie

If I didn't get it with my Series 7 UE49MU7000, I doubt you will, unless they are planning to deal with older models at a later stage.

I understand the Airplay 2 requirements but I don't get why we could not access an app to rent or buy movies or series.

22. Alien1280 macrumors newbie

Alien1280

Canadian model UN55NU6900 here (firmware 2151). Was told by support last week that it would only be a few days until the update, but still nothing on my end :(
    Contacted them again just now and they told me “soon”. Anyone else still waiting? Was hoping to load up some of my Apple content over the weekend, but alas :(
    To those above asking about MU (2017) models, last I heard, Samsung has no plans to support these models with either the app, or airplay sorry :(

Attached Files:

23. firewire9000 macrumors 6502

Short answer: no.

Long answer: also no, sorry.

24. PastaPrimav macrumors 6502

A TV today is also useless without an Apple TV. The fake smart apps notwithstanding.

25. randyhudson macrumors regular

As an added benefit, your Samsung TV features a proper remote control that isn't a POS