Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattyj2001

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2015
This is awesome. I don't use 1password because they store the passwords and have already had major breaches. But Enpass, which I use, stores passwords locally only (well really on cloud drives) and they have said they will support this. I don't know why it's taken the industry so long to do this.

You can put your 1Password vault in iCloud ...

AGKyle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2012
And the sherlocking continues.

This is the opposite of Sherlocking. Apple added features for us, so we could better integrate with Safari (and associated Web Views) and apps. This is actually a massive gift from Apple to apps like 1Password. It provides even more integration with iOS than before and makes the process incredibly seamless.

This is Apple working with other developers (like us) to make things better for users.

Users can now use 1Password the same way they use iCloud Keychain, across the entirety of iOS rather than just apps that integrate direct support.

MrPeripatetic

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2009
Hate these subs, no thanks, the built in keychain does a good job for most of us.

Agreed about subscriptions. Long time 1Password full price user that recently jumped ship after their latest release charge and subscription model.

The two substitutes that I found that do not have subscriptions, that are relatively inexpensive, claim to never go to a subscription model, and have basically about the same feature set as 1Password, and in some ways even more features are:

Enpass
Myki

AGKyle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2012
Hmm, what about macOS? This is the feature that has kept me from seriously considering 1Password. I enter passwords into non-browser places too often.

This is not available for macOS at this time. Perhaps with 10.15.

Our new 1Password 7 for Mac adds a couple features you might appreciate though. For many apps (like the App Store and iTunes for instance) if you press CMD+\ it'll bring up 1Password with the Login items that match the app. It won't fill into the app, but it does make getting to that data a lot easier. We have some ideas for how we can improve this further though to help in situations like you're describing.
[doublepost=1534975534][/doublepost]
Agreed about subscriptions. Long time 1Password full price user that recently jumped ship after their latest release charge and subscription model.

The two substitutes that I found that do not have subscriptions, that are relatively inexpensive, claim to never go to a subscription model, and have basically about the same feature set as 1Password, and in some ways even more features are:

Enpass
Myki

We sell licenses for 1Password 7, both Mac and Windows. Don't want to use our subscription product? You can purchase a license instead. Nothing has changed in that regard.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I hope LastPass gets the same integration.

Yep, would be good...

Actually, i had to re-read the article because i thought filling in login info into apps is "going to be supported" yet i can already do this in Dropbox app. Pull up the share sheet and select Lastpass app. Tap"more" if not shown

Reactions: scottcampbell

AGKyle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2012
Blatant pushing of 1Password by Apple. Personally I will stick with LastPass which I think is unbeatable in the field of password managers.

These features are available to any app developer, including LastPass. Want to make your own password manager and have this feature? You can do it. This is not specific to 1Password, though we were the first to provide it in beta apparently, which is causing all of the Apple media to pick up on it. But don't mistake this as any sort of favoritism, we were just there first and got the media coverage. Certainly something we're thankful for, but I'm not going to claim we're the only password manager that will support this.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
Blatant pushing of 1Password by Apple. Personally I will stick with LastPass which I think is unbeatable in the field of password managers.

Nonsense. AgileBits very actively engages Apple for this type of integration, the same way Parallels does despite Apple offering Bootcamp. Yet still VMware Fusion and Dashlane exist. As for Lastpass, as a former user both personal and corporate, I am still concerned about their breaches a couple of years back and prefer 1Pass for my workflow. Obviously YMMV depending on various factors.

DamFu

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2007
I have been using 1Password for years and love it. I use it for so much more than just passwords. If you are bagging on the sub because of the passwords alone, then you don't know enough about the product to make an informed opinion, Wish I had known about the beta earlier though. I would have liked to try it out.

Reactions: Mr. Heckles

mattyj2001

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2015
I generally dislike subscriptions, too, but there is a valid reason why it is happening. It does provide a continuing stream of capital to implement new features and products. It does help deal with piracy somewhat. And it is does lower the cost of entry for some people who need the product for a short period of time.

I wonder if they have the pricing model right, though. Lots of people seem to be ok with $.99 but balk at $2.99 for whatever reason. I wonder "if they could make it up in volume" . . . but I assume they know their modeling better than I do. And it does include 24/7 support; is available for Mac, iOS, Windows, Android, and browsers; and has a year's worth of password history you can retrieve.

The "market" will settle the right pricing . . .

$2.99 is essentially three times $.99, so a steep number. The $.99 per app price/standard was somewhat arbitrary to begin with, but that's what we're all used to. :)

$2.99 a month is essentially $36 a year, which is definitely a price people would balk at. Software subscriptions are a thinly-veiled plot (generally) to stealthily get more revenue for the same amount of work. I don't feel like 1Password has increased the frequency of releases or improved the product commensurate to the added revenue they're theoretically getting.

I mean, I use 1Password (don't subscribe), I like it a lot, it's very well designed and engineered, and I expect it to continue that trend, but the argument that this stuff costs money might not always fly with me unless I actually see something getting better. And in the case of 1Password, there's really not a whole lot of room for improvement, honestly.

I had the pleasure(?) of hearing Carl Bass speak earlier this year and he flat out said that the 'best thing I ever did for Autodesk's bottom line was switch to a subscription model'. It was all about revenue, and this is a sample size of one, but software subscriptions have not yet proven to be beneficial to the average consumer, that's for sure.

Traditionally most paid software gives you a short trial, so I'm not even sure I'm buying the advantage that subscriptions benefit users that need it for a short amount of time.

BTW, you rarely see software subscriptions implemented on software that's doing badly. In other words, the original idea behind it was that a company, like Autodesk, was seeing stagnant growth and found a way to squeeze more money out of the consumer without giving them anything in return. You don't usually see subscriptions on software that nobody wants in the first place, it's normally software that's already well established, essential to business process, a particularly addictive game, etc. There's a reason why the myriad solitaire apps in the app store don't try to get you to subscribe ...

So I guess what I'm trying to say that software subscriptions are consumer-unfriendly and are purely a method of increasing revenue on the same number of sales/users to benefit someone's bottom line.

Reactions: Bin Cook

the johnmc

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2017
iPhone: 38.551970,-121.698453
Our official response to those is here

https://support.1password.com/kb/201702a/

Note that we fixed those months before they were ever disclosed to the public. It also does not apply to our 1Password.com service and were specific to our Android application. These do not qualify as a breach either.

Android app? Eww. Gross. I have a cow-orker who gets to handle those.

cwanja

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Texas
$2.99 is essentially three times $.99, so a steep number. The $.99 per app price/standard was somewhat arbitrary to begin with, but that's what we're all used to. :)

$2.99 a month is essentially $36 a year, which is definitely a price people would balk at. Software subscriptions are a thinly-veiled plot (generally) to stealthily get more revenue for the same amount of work. I don't feel like 1Password has increased the frequency of releases or improved the product commensurate to the added revenue they're theoretically getting.

I mean, I use 1Password (don't subscribe), I like it a lot, it's very well designed and engineered, and I expect it to continue that trend, but the argument that this stuff costs money might not always fly with me unless I actually see something getting better. And in the case of 1Password, there's really not a whole lot of room for improvement, honestly.

I had the pleasure(?) of hearing Carl Bass speak earlier this year and he flat out said that the 'best thing I ever did for Autodesk's bottom line was switch to a subscription model'. It was all about revenue, and this is a sample size of one, but software subscriptions have not yet proven to be beneficial to the average consumer, that's for sure.

Traditionally most paid software gives you a short trial, so I'm not even sure I'm buying the advantage that subscriptions benefit users that need it for a short amount of time.

BTW, you rarely see software subscriptions implemented on software that's doing badly. In other words, the original idea behind it was that a company, like Autodesk, was seeing stagnant growth and found a way to squeeze more money out of the consumer without giving them anything in return. You don't usually see subscriptions on software that nobody wants in the first place, it's normally software that's already well established, essential to business process, a particularly addictive game, etc. There's a reason why the myriad solitaire apps in the app store don't try to get you to subscribe ...

So I guess what I'm trying to say that software subscriptions are consumer-unfriendly and are purely a method of increasing revenue on the same number of sales/users to benefit someone's bottom line.
If they do not continue to get revenue, how do you expect them to pay the developers between releases to get said "frequency of releases or improved the product"?

TheMadCow

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2008
Reno, Nevada

Apple in iOS 12 introduced a new Password AutoFill API for apps like 1Password and LastPass, designed to allow password management apps to provide stored usernames and passwords for not only websites but also third-party apps.

1Password has introduced support for Password AutoFill in a beta capacity ahead of the launch of iOS 12, giving us a look at just how simple and easy Password AutoFill makes entering login details.

Article Link: How Apple's iOS 12 Password AutoFill Feature Works With 1Password

They always mention the wallet apps that have been breached like 1Pass. You want rock solid security? Get Codebook from Zetetic. It's cheaper and it works like a charm. And yes, they're going to support this, too.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013

Right. Are these developers just supposed to develop applications for our use and pleasure? Do you work for free? I work on a subscription model too. I come into work for 2 weeks and get paid at the end.

I’m not trying to be overly snarky here but people do have a right to charge for their labor. The market will determine if their pricing model is the right one or not.

Reactions: Kaibelf

mattyj2001

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2015
If they do not continue to get revenue, how do you expect them to pay the developers between releases to get said "frequency of releases or improved the product"?

They were doing fine for a decade before they introduced subscriptions. The software industry as a whole had been doing fine for decades before the idea behind subscriptions came along.

At least they gave the option of not subscribing. Most software companies don't have the courtesy. I don't want to make it sound _too_ much like I'm bagging on AgileBits, I like them, but software subscriptions are akin to software rentals, which is just an absurd idea.
[doublepost=1534978818][/doublepost]
Right. Are these developers just supposed to develop applications for our use and pleasure? Do you work for free? I work on a subscription model too. I come into work for 2 weeks and get paid at the end.

I’m not trying to be overly snarky here but people do have a right to charge for their labor. The market will determine if their pricing model is the right one or not.

AgileBits charged for their software, and I paid for it, for years before subscriptions came along.

I'm not sure how, from my comment, you got from 'software subscriptions are evil' to 'I deserve free software'. I never implied anything of the sort.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
They were doing fine for a decade before they introduced subscriptions. The software industry as a whole had been doing fine for decades before the idea behind subscriptions came along.

At least they gave the option of not subscribing. Most software companies don't have the courtesy. I don't want to make it sound _too_ much like I'm bagging on AgileBits, I like them, but software subscriptions are akin to software rentals, which is just an absurd idea.

And in those halcyon days you refer to, developers charged $80, $100 or even $150 for their software. Even for upgrades. The $0.99 and free app phenomenon began with the introduction of the App Store. I’d argue we get a heck of a lot more utility per dollar spent now than we ever have before.

[doublepost=1534978818][/doublepost]

AgileBits charged for their software, and I paid for it, for years before subscriptions came along.

I'm not sure how, from my comment, you got from 'software subscriptions are evil' to 'I deserve free software'. I never implied anything of the sort.

One obvious reason the subscription model didn’t work before was that the major OSes didn’t support it before. No support, no subscription.

Last edited by a moderator:

mattyj2001

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2015
One obvious reason the subscription model didn’t work before was that the major OSes didn’t support it before. No support, no subscription.

Software has had paid licensing long before the app store existed ...
[doublepost=1534979810][/doublepost]
And in those halcyon days you refer to, developers charged $80, $100 or even $150 for their software. Even for upgrades. The $0.99 and free app phenomenon began with the introduction of the App Store. I’d argue we get a heck of a lot more utility per dollar spent now than we ever have before.

My memory might not be the best, but I'm pretty sure I upgraded to 1Password 6 for about $40 two years ago. A subscription for that amount of time would be over $70. I have no problem paying for software. I have no problem paying a fair price for useful software. But I'll always stand by my assertion that software subscriptions are not consumer friendly, they're revenue generators for the publishers.
[doublepost=1534980067][/doublepost]

Software, in the context we're talking about, is a commodity, not a service. Imagine the subscription model being applied to other commodities. Aside from cars, I guess, which is the only other commodity I can think of that has that option. But again, as with AgileBits, it is a choice, and there is a reason why the vast majority of consumers opt to buy their cars rather than lease.

DailySlow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2015
NOVA
As my avatar says - daily slow, and skeptical. I use one of the web's many secure password generators, opting for an odd number length (21, 29, 41, et. al. with scope options of alphanumeric characters to implement) then COPY that to notes...and work with that. I use a password safe app and don't really care about this one password thing, at least at this point. My password app provides services this does not, as far as I can tell. Cringing depending so much on Apple here. If anything bad happens, as I tell my non-techie bro, "we're Fu***d"

rembert

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2009
Amsterdam area, Netherlands
I do understand a company needs to have some sort of income to be able to maintain the software. Apple suggests to use the subscription model here instead of the one-time purchase. Apple is appearantly not able to understand many people just don't like subscriptions at all, probably because of the accumulating recurring payments. Another model is to just buy a license to the software where one will only need to pay for major upgrades or choose to stick to the old one. A third model also requires buying the license but now it comes with unlimited upgrades for, say, a year: at the end of the year the user can choose to extend the upgrade subscription for another year - for some fee. Apple doesn't support the latter two models even though I expect these models couuld be more interesting for several software developers as well as Apple itself.

I have bought most parts of 1Password twice over the last 8 years. AgileBits did complain back then Apple didn't support requiring a fee for software upgrades and therefore all licensees were required to just acquire the software again. Back then I did look at the competition and decided 1Password was still the way to go. Today the world is different with strong competitors like LastPass, Dashlane and Bitwarden - the latter might become my personal favorite. This said, I would probably have stayed with 1Password when paid software upgrades were possible for an acceptable cost. But switching to a subscription model is not in my book. My 1Password subscription would cost more than my Photoshop Lightroom CC subscription, a subscription which I try to ditch as well - I've put my hopes on the Luminar + Pixelmator combo. AgileBits did explain/offer I could buy to the standalone version 7 but that's not an upgrade, it's just the full price for the product - a non-acceptable cost as the competition is way stronger than back then.

AgileBits defends itself by explaining 1Password is a premium product. Well, it definitely is. But is it really that complex AgileBits needs to keep a fulltime staff of about 100 people? Even if it does, then I guess both other software models would easily bring enough money to support that staff. Pity Apple doesn't support those however AgileBits is quite well on speaking terms with Apple and they could have a chat, can't they? If Apple decides to support either of the other two models, Apple would make a lot of software developers as well as a lot of end users happy. However I'm afraid Apple will be entirely ignorant to all those users who just despise subscriptions, users who would probably gladly pay more for an upgrade than the accumulated subscription costs. That's some paradox.

So, as of now I'll stick to 1Password 6 for as long as it works. I do like the Bitwarden project but I just wait for the result of their security audit before moving to Bitwarden (which is an open source solution). Besides I don't plan to use their online vault as I happen to distrust those to store for instance my creditcard data. With Bitwarden it is possible to use an on-premise vault, just like 1Password. Unfortunately Bitwarden doesn't support storing the history of changed fields in a record yet but this feature is expected soon. And I would like to see the AutoFill feature to be added to Bitwarden as well similar to the 1Password integration as described here. This feature is already discussed on the Bitwarden forums and it already exists on the requested-features list. And I will pay for the full-blown Bitwarden license.

DailySlow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2015
NOVA
How can I use the built in password manager to generate a password, like when the browser doesn't recognize the password field?
Jeez. Go on web to secure password generator and you'll find a bunch...opt your parameters and generate, copy/paste to notes and work with that, then you also have that info to plug into any kind of password app you use. - OR save in contacts, at least for a little while,

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010

Right. Are these developers just supposed to develop applications for our use and pleasure? Do you work for free?

C'mon, there are payment models in the App Store other than just "subscription" and "free".
  1. I just paid $5 for an app that doesn't have a subscription model. Paying a fixed cost isn't "free".
  2. As for updates and new features, if you make a new version that's sufficiently better you can submit it as a new app and if it is truly worth it, people will pay to switch to it. That is not working for free either.
  3. A developer can also add the new feature in the same app via an update, and ensure revenue by charging for the new feature as an IAP. Again, people will pay for it if it is worth it to them. That is not working for free either.
#2 and #3 ensure that users get our money's worth from updates. A subscription model does not ensure this.

What the subscription model does is allow the developer to get ongoing money just for continued use, regardless of whether or not new features are compelling, or whether or not new features are even added at all.

Reactions: mattyj2001

mattyj2001

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2015
Jeez. Go on web to secure password generator and you'll find a bunch...opt your parameters and generate, copy/paste to notes and work with that, then you also have that info to plug into any kind of password app you use. - OR save in contacts, at least for a little while,

Here's what I do:

1. Clench both fists.
2. Mash keyboard 1x for each 6 characters of desired password length.
[doublepost=1534981960][/doublepost]
C'mon, there are payment models in the App Store other than just "subscription" and "free".
  1. I just paid $5 for an app that doesn't have a subscription model. Paying a fixed cost isn't "free".
  2. As for updates and new features, if you make a new version that's sufficiently better you can submit it as a new app and if it is truly worth it, people will pay to switch to it. That is not working for free either.
  3. A developer can also add the new feature in the same app via an update, and ensure revenue by charging for the new feature as an IAP. Again, people will pay for it if it is worth it to them. That is not working for free either.
#2 and #3 ensure that users get our money's worth from updates. A subscription model does not ensure this.

What the subscription model does is allow the developer to get ongoing money just for continued use, regardless of whether or not new features are compelling, or whether or not new features are even added at all.

This was much more eloquent than my ravings. Thanks. :)

Emphasis on the last point. Buying software outright gives you the option to not upgrade if you don't feel compelled to do so. If, say, the upgrade doesn't seem worth the cost. With a subscription model you are essentially paying for upgrades as you go along, whether or not the publisher has any.

Reactions: ActionableMango
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.