how are the screens lately (week 47+?)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by godisjustpreten, Dec 14, 2007.

1. godisjustpreten macrumors member

I am waiting for Touch screen quality to improve. I had problems with various weeks while involved in an exchange game with Apple a few weeks ago. I haven't heard too much lately, so I'm wondering how things are going. In particular, could people who have recent week numbers comment on the following?....

1) How do these screen tests look? (http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/small/) In particular, I'm interested in the first test (Quick gamma/contrast test), the contrast test, and the white saturation test.

2) How about stuck pixels? You can test for them at http://appleservedup.com/pixeltest.html

3) Flickering screen at lowest brightness setting (with auto-brightness turned off). I noticed while browsing in a dark room that when I set the brightness all the way down, the screen flickered. It was only noticeable in very dark rooms.

Thanks.

2. Draythor macrumors 6502

Draythor

There hasn't been any widespread problems with weeks 38 +
    You'll be fine.

3. godisjustpreten thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, but that just *isn't* the case. Besides, I had two week 43s, a week 40, and a week 38. They all had different problems, and I didn't have the time to keep exchanging. I'll have a little more free time soon, and I'm hoping the newer weeks are having less problems.

Please, this thread is asking some specific questions to people who have newer units. I appreciate the thought, but saying that I'll be fine is ignoring my question, and ignoring the experience of many people on this forum.

4. cjmal macrumors 6502

The last iPod I bought was a week 47 which had audio problems and a bad screen.

5. Draythor macrumors 6502

Draythor

My bad... Sorry I can't give a better answer.

6. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

My journey continues...still haven't found an iPod touch without stuck pixels. This one is a week 47 I believe, John Lennon box.

3 stuck pixels right in the middle of the screen.

I think this is my seventh or eighth one...luckily we opened a few of those in the store together so I didn't have to drive there 8 times...lol. They're ALL defective.

7. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

i beg to differ, mines great, no stuck pixels, but it hates to sync with the computer.... guess you cant win them all.....

8. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Bad cable?

I was at Walmart and saw the new John Lennon boxes - looks like the screens got even cheaper...

9. lena macrumors newbie

Can you elaborate (about the 'cheap' screens)?

10. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Ummmm, screens with lots and lots of problems... compared to my iPhone 4Gig screen which is flawless...

11. godisjustpreten thread starter macrumors member

Strange. I had 3 numbered items to start this post, yet it appears people have only responded to 1 of them. #1 and #3 above.....
    "cheap" and "great" aren't really addressing these concerns.

I'll understand if you are relatively happy and don't want to look closer.

12. MayaTlab macrumors member

As far as I am concerned, I can't tell you my opinion concerning the most recent iPods since I never had a week 47 or after (I had a week 38, a week 39, a week 42 and now a week 45).

However, all my iPods touch had a flickering screen at low levels of brightness. It seems that this flickering depends on the application I am using, since it is more noticable when loading a web page. I would guess that it comes from the software, and maybe Mac Os X, because all the MacBooks I had were flickering, in a more or less noticable extent (all of them were bearable). Perhaps the power managment ? Anyway, it's weird.

I doubt that Apple will correct the problem, because very few consumers notice it and / or use their iPods at low levels of brightness.

Considering the stuck pixels, I have never experienced it in an iPod. I discovered the first one of all my life last month on a nintendo DS' screen. A thrilling experience : my first stuck pixel ! Champagne !

And finally, I wonder if Apple has really corrected the negative blacks issue since my week 45 presents the problem (well in fact not, because it has been upgraded to 1.1.1, but has a very low contrast now). All my previous iPods touch had no issue concerning their contrast / black rendering.

13. godisjustpreten thread starter macrumors member

Good to know. Thanks. My first Touch had slight flickering when loading a web page on lowest brightness. One of my exchanges, however, had the flickering on lowest brightness - even when the page was done loading.

Very frustrating.
    Thanks.

14. AZYUMA86 macrumors newbie

I originally purchased a week 38, which, according to the internet, should have had a fine screen. It seemed good enough and I was fine with it for two months. Only recently did I notice 2 problems. The first being a piece of dust that got trapped under the screen and the second being noticeable artifacts during movie playback on white screens (I attributed this to video conversion).

I replaced it yesterday and received a week 48. I was immediately blown away by the details I had lost with my week 38. I don't care what anyone says, but 38s aren't that great (The white compression blocks which I thought were due to compression are gone now)! However, there is one problem with my week 48. The contrast on the unit seems a little high. I'm actually losing some white details (Only on very bright scenes). It isn't horrible but it is something I have read about and supposedly a good amount of people with the Lennon Box Touch are experiencing it. Hopefully Apple will correct it with an update, or I'll simply have to wait until the SDK is released and someone gives us a tool to change contrast.

15. godisjustpreten thread starter macrumors member

So how does this look: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/small/ ?

Do you see columns 1 and 2 on the contrast ratio?

16. Brianstorm91 macrumors 65816

Brianstorm91

17. LordEntropy macrumors regular

Is anyone else finding that the best viewing angle for the touch is as the stand holds it? With the top edge leaning slightly back?

I find looking at it straight on is not great with some levels of black.Would be interested what other people are experiencing.

18. Draythor macrumors 6502

Draythor

Christ!
    This thread has got me worried.
    Mine is most likely gonna be a week 47. I've had it shipped from America, so I can't know for sure yet. Will I be able to exchange it if theres a problem?

19. GoodBoy macrumors 6502

Hi I have week 47 and it is great! no problems at all! This is my 4th swap :)
    Previously I had week 42, 45 and 46. All of them had bad screens.

20. godisjustpreten thread starter macrumors member

UPDATE: I bought a new unit from Amazon.com ($269.99, free 1-day shipping), and it's a week 47. So far, it seems like most of the problems I had are much better. The screen passes the contrast tests *so* much better than the week 43 and other replacements I had. There may be a few minor screen quirks, but I think it's a keeper. I'll use it more in the next few days and have a better opinion of it.

21. Draythor macrumors 6502

Draythor

good to here. My one upstairs (Christmas Present still wrapped up) has a John Lennon artwork. What week would that make it?

22. sgtboy macrumors 6502

I took the plunge last night and bought a Week 46 Lennon box, PERFECT screen, way way better than my Macy Gray 37

23. LordEntropy macrumors regular

Interestingly enough the laptop I am writing this post on cannot display the first 2 columns all that well and it is brand new!!

I did the tests on all three LCD screens I have at home and they were all different so it is not just Touch screens that are variable in quality.

24. starwars246 macrumors member

mine has one dead pixel, while it is not much of a problem can i return it because of it, btw mine has been engraved by apple so would this affect any returns

25. sgtboy macrumors 6502

if it's engraved you might as well learn to love that pixel :(