Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edry.hilario

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
For those that have received a replacement, how long has it taken for you to receive them?

for me the first took me two weeks but according to my rep this third one is going to take longer because the supplies are on back order, F me right ?

AngelGuy7

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2006
New York
for me the first took me two weeks but according to my rep this third one is going to take longer because the supplies are on back order, F me right ?

Damn. My iMac had a yellowing\uneven screen so I sent it back on Friday. They told me that it wouldn't be too long because "replacement orders are bumped to the front of the line". But now with what you said I'm not sure how or when I'll get my replacement.

This sucks.

edry.hilario

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
Damn. My iMac had a yellowing\uneven screen so I sent it back on Friday. They told me that it wouldn't be too long because "replacement orders are bumped to the front of the line". But now with what you said I'm not sure how or when I'll get my replacement.

This sucks.

welcome to my life

burninggarlic

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2012

This sucks.

My replacement was placed 27/12/12. Here is the status:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-01-07 at PM8.03.46.png
    Screen Shot 2013-01-07 at PM8.03.46.png
    32.8 KB · Views: 61

AngelGuy7

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2006
New York
welcome to my life

FYI - It looks like Apple just sent out my replacement! This is a lot sooner than I expected. Here's a timeline of events:

Jan. 2nd, 2013 - Called Apple on the 2nd, explained the issue and asked for a replacement.
Jan. 4th, 2013 - USPS picked up my old iMac.
Jan. 5th, 2013 - Old iMac arrived at Newgistics
Jan. 7th, 2013 - Old iMac departed Newgistics
Jan. 8th, 2013 - Received shipment email for new iMac (via FedEx)
Jan. 11th, 2013 - Expected arrival date

I'm not sure if certain configurations are shipping sooner than others though. Here's my config:

3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
8GB RAM
1TB Fusion Drive
680MX Video Card

edry.hilario

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
FYI - It looks like Apple just sent out my replacement! This is a lot sooner than I expected. Here's a timeline of events:

Jan. 2nd, 2013 - Called Apple on the 2nd, explained the issue and asked for a replacement.
Jan. 4th, 2013 - USPS picked up my old iMac.
Jan. 5th, 2013 - Old iMac arrived at Newgistics
Jan. 7th, 2013 - Old iMac departed Newgistics
Jan. 8th, 2013 - Received shipment email for new iMac (via FedEx)
Jan. 11th, 2013 - Expected arrival date

I'm not sure if certain configurations are shipping sooner than others though. Here's my config:

3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
8GB RAM
1TB Fusion Drive
680MX Video Card
hmmm that was extremely fast mine its the core i7 thats the only difference mine still processing WTF.

Chuckstones

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2012
For those with the yellow screen issues. Try giving the screen a good clean before you do anything else!

I cleaned mine for the 1st time today. And boy was it hard work!
There seems to be some sort of wax coating so you really have to buff it with a lint free/optical cloth.
But when i had finished, i kid you not. the screen just seemed brighter. The whites seem cleaner and the colours more vivid!!

Its worth a try!!:)

kidwei

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2007
For those with the yellow screen issues. Try giving the screen a good clean before you do anything else!

I cleaned mine for the 1st time today. And boy was it hard work!
There seems to be some sort of wax coating so you really have to buff it with a lint free/optical cloth.
But when i had finished, i kid you not. the screen just seemed brighter. The whites seem cleaner and the colours more vivid!!

Its worth a try!!:)

Are you sure that "wax" wasn't some sort of intended anti-glare coating applied to the screen? I'd be wary of scrubbing a brand new screen to the point of removing something from it.

I've got the same exact config as AngelGuy7 and I actually called for a replacement the same day - go figure - and I'm still waiting for my replacement to ship. I called Apple this morning and they said it should be any day and I didn't need to ship my old one back until I received the new one. There's always variability with shipping times, so hopefully it won't be too much longer.

Chippy99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Looks pretty normal to me for this sort of IPS panel with max backlight (I'm guessing). I wouldn't bother getting a replacement.

Black viewing angles are just poor on this new iMac, and that's just the way it is. Turn your backlight up, and move left and right in front of your screen when it's black. You'll see the bleed disappear when it's directly in front of you. Shame. My 2009 27" iMac was leagues better in this regard.

I have no idea why the world is so enamoured with IPS panels. I think they are pretty much garbage to be honest. Lousy black levels, poor uniformity and bleed. OK so they have a wide colour gamut, which is pretty much irrelevant unless you have a colourspace-aware app (which Aperture is not, btw) and shoot in AdobeRGB colourspace.

You get a much better overall picture with a S-PVA panel imho. Much, much, much better black level (3 muches), no clouding and no bleed. And they are cheaper. And you can still get 100%+ of the sRGB gamut which is all that matters for most people.

IPS is fine for colour-critical work on a £1,500 monitor where they can selectively pick the very best panels and also employ local dimming techniques to even out the non-uniformities. And where black levels are not that important.

But for general purpose viewing of movies, games and photos in a domestic environment? Rubbish.

Last edited:

Chuckstones

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2012
Are you sure that "wax" wasn't some sort of intended anti-glare coating applied to the screen? I'd be wary of scrubbing a brand new screen to the point of removing something from it.
Well if it is the anti-glare coating, apple have done a pretty poor job of applying it!!
No. I just used a wet optical cloth and buffed with a dry one.
You have to as it just leaves terrible streaks everywhere!:eek:

But it really did make a difference to screen clarity etc!

If you think you have it clean. Just shine your desk lamp on screen and you will see what I mean about streaks!!

larzy

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2008
Denmark
Got my replacement today, and I'm still annoyed by the fan noise :-( I think it's too loud - sounds like an old external harddrive / ps3 where the fan is running all the time. And this is the entire time the machine is on - no hard work or applications running.

AngelGuy7

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2006
New York
Got my replacement today, and I'm still annoyed by the fan noise :-( I think it's too loud - sounds like an old external harddrive / ps3 where the fan is running all the time. And this is the entire time the machine is on - no hard work or applications running.

That sucks. My old iMac (with a yellow\discolored screen) was near silent. I even did some Handbrake encoding and never heard the fan. I'm hoping that my replacement does not have a fan issue.

Are you going to ask for another replacement since your fan issue does not sound normal?

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
Well if it is the anti-glare coating, apple have done a pretty poor job of applying it!!
No. I just used a wet optical cloth and buffed with a dry one.
You have to as it just leaves terrible streaks everywhere!:eek:

But it really did make a difference to screen clarity etc!

If you think you have it clean. Just shine your desk lamp on screen and you will see what I mean about streaks!!

I was in the Apple Store today and noticed that all of the new iMacs, both 27 and 21.5, had streaks from cleaning. They looked horrible because of the steaks. So, I know what you mean.

edry.hilario

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010

besides the loud fan, how is the machine, screen? housing etc ??

larzy

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2008
Denmark
No dead pixels or errors in the housing. Colors seems fine on the screen.

So just the exact same issue with the machine sounding like when you attach an old external harddrive to your computer.

Could be fan noise - or could be the fusion drive (seagate barracuda). I'm confused - as well as very sad and annoyed

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
No dead pixels or errors in the housing. Colors seems fine on the screen.

So just the exact same issue with the machine sounding like when you attach an old external harddrive to your computer.

Could be fan noise - or could be the fusion drive (seagate barracuda). I'm confused - as well as very sad and annoyed

That is how the iMac I returned sounded as well. It was quiet at idle, but I could always hear the fan, and it sounded exactly like my Western Digital My Passport external drive.

edry.hilario

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
Update

My imac order just changed to preparing for shipment by the looks of it it's gonna get shipped tomorrow this is according to past reference. Lets see what kind of crappery awaits me

kidwei

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2007
My imac order just changed to preparing for shipment by the looks of it it's gonna get shipped tomorrow this is according to past reference. Lets see what kind of crappery awaits me

Haha, edry, it's funny to see your spirits getting crushed further and further ;) jk. Really hope your next one turns out okay.. My replacement is preparing to ship too, so with luck, I'll get it by the weekend! And hopefully all will be well!

edry.hilario

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
Update

my imac shipped it says " package receive after fedex cutoff" just wondering why this stuff never goes smooth with, Yes i am gonna get it i know but why is there always some sort of hold back or hassle, things never go smoothly... F ME right ?? oh well its gonna get here eventually, all i care is that i finally receive a well working machine.

edry.hilario

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
update

i got my third replacement imac, it feels like they just sent me the first one back.. this is stupid, the screen on this one is wonderful perfect no yellow tinting and some bleeding but no hots spots with im happy with, however the rattling sound is back... theres a rattling sound like my first imac, im sick and tired of this so im just gonna keep this one i will eventually get used to that sound i guess its better that than a crappy screen. so there you go.. i dont know what to say i guess im keeping it, it sucks but... i really dont want to deal with this crap anymore i just want to move on.. good luck you guys.

kidwei

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2007
i got my third replacement imac, it feels like they just sent me the first one back.. this is stupid, the screen on this one is wonderful perfect no yellow tinting and some bleeding but no hots spots with im happy with, however the rattling sound is back... theres a rattling sound like my first imac, im sick and tired of this so im just gonna keep this one i will eventually get used to that sound i guess its better that than a crappy screen. so there you go.. i dont know what to say i guess im keeping it, it sucks but... i really dont want to deal with this crap anymore i just want to move on.. good luck you guys.

what's the rattling coming from? can you tell? how loud is it?

my replacement is at my house.. gonna open it up in a couple hours.. i'll post back.

edry, you may want to at least ask them to give you a discount or some sort of compensation.. sorry to hear about that.. i'd personally rather have a perfect screen and a rattle than a a silent ugly screen.. but that's just me

kidwei

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2007
what's the rattling coming from? can you tell? how loud is it?

my replacement is at my house.. gonna open it up in a couple hours.. i'll post back.

edry, you may want to at least ask them to give you a discount or some sort of compensation.. sorry to hear about that.. i'd personally rather have a perfect screen and a rattle than a a silent ugly screen.. but that's just me

well.. my replacement mac's backlight bleed is worse than the first.. and the screen yellowing is much more significant than my last one, chiwhc was only slight. looks like i might be going around the merrygoround again.. but i don't know if i could stomach more than one more go around. sigh. are there any good screens out there?!

edry.hilario

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
well.. my replacement mac's backlight bleed is worse than the first.. and the screen yellowing is much more significant than my last one, chiwhc was only slight. looks like i might be going around the merrygoround again.. but i don't know if i could stomach more than one more go around. sigh. are there any good screens out there?!

I know right !!.... im just so sick and tired of it. the rattling noise seems to be coming from the fan. it bothers me a lot but i feel that once i get use to it it might not be as bad.. it is indeed an issue though.. maybe when they start doing repairs ill get this machine in for a fan replacement but i dont want to send it out because the chances of me getting this good of a screen an no more issues seems to be pretty slim at this day in time.. it sucks good luck man. as far as compensation .. im just so sick and tired of this i dont want to deal with anything i just a fracking computer.. ugh oh well. btw this one doesnt have any yellow at all i compared it to my 2nd replacement and the screen on the new its far better. also the bleeding is not as bad its more even and there isnt any hotspots.. in other words there are some good screens out there..

kidwei

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2007
I know right !!.... im just so sick and tired of it. the rattling noise seems to be coming from the fan. it bothers me a lot but i feel that once i get use to it it might not be as bad.. it is indeed an issue though.. maybe when they start doing repairs ill get this machine in for a fan replacement but i dont want to send it out because the chances of me getting this good of a screen an no more issues seems to be pretty slim at this day in time.. it sucks good luck man. as far as compensation .. im just so sick and tired of this i dont want to deal with anything i just a fracking computer.. ugh oh well.

I'd take a good screen anyday :)

I think I'm willing to do one more replacement.. This one unfortunately has a bad backlight bleed on the left-bottom edge and right-top edge. Honestly, it only really bothers me when watching movies. But this machine should do everything I paid for it to do, right? Especially at the $2600 premium price.

I'm now thinking if a mac mini might be the way to go.. but I wish it had a better graphics chip..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.