Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xXriderXx7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
Lake Elsinore, California
I know the thread said music, but I decided to share my entire media collection:

Music first, movies second, and tv shows last;

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    7.1 KB · Views: 591
  • Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    6.5 KB · Views: 592
  • Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    7.1 KB · Views: 597

RamenBooko

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Forgot to post mine, duh!

I am at about 16,300 songs. Movies is another story (DVD's...no digital). I also have the 3 latest episodes of about 6 video podcasts. Then there is my TV shows, but that's going off topic.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I have 7500-8000 or so songs. Somewhere in the 48-50GB range along with another 450+GB of movies and tv shows, though it is 95% movies.

carfac

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
Just hit 250 gigs... just CD rips.

Well north of a TB of videos, and that is JUST childrens videos (don't trust my kids to use DVDs yet, so they can pull anything up on my media center from the ripped library by pushing a couple of buttons on a remote rather than handling the actual DVDs).

natw308

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2008
i have about 8200 songs (quite a lot from limewire) but i only have 1200 on my iphone

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
How do you accumulate all this music, most I've ever had in iTunes is 100ish songs.

I've been buying records and cds for 22 years. My collection of LPs is 1/3 of what it could have been, I've sold about 1000 over the years.

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
Perhaps... but his collection will always be more impressive and say a lot more about his commitment to music (and his opinion of its worth) than yours.

Not necessarily.

I used to think this way too; that a person's physical collection somehow meant they valued music more.

Then I came to understand that the physical manifestations of someone's interests (whether in book libraries, film libraries, or music libraries) rarely had anything to do with a person's inner appreciation of said interests.

Simply put, I love music.

But I also cherish simplicity.

I don't need to be able to point to my music collection to demonstrate my appreciation of it any more than I need to have my parents in the same room with me to love them.

Inevitably, the things we own end up owning us; possessions and the trappings of wealth are just a form of imprisonment without bars.

I resolved to never collect physical treasures again--not books, not films, not music.

For me, containing my favorite records on an iPod or hard drive is worth infinitely more for my peace of mind than having them occupy space in the physical world.

If someone gave me the chance to have my entire collection on LPs or CDs, I would thank them, and happily decline.

I'd much rather have my music fit in the palm of my hand than in two hundred pounds of plastic and vinyl in a corner of my room.

Simplicity is the way.

DaftUnion

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2005
Wisconsin
Still got about 400 cd's to import...but it's getting there...the huge year...or two year project.

Attachments

• Music.PNG
    Music.PNG
    1.2 KB · Views: 402

rouxeny

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2008
So, of the people with massive music collections, how much do you actually listen to?

I've bought maybe 250 CD's in my life, I can honestly say that I listen to maybe 20-30 of them. My iTunes collection isn't large, at most 3-4 GB, but again, I probably only listen to 100 songs consistently.

I guess I have the rest around "just in case," but I'm not sure in case of what.

But then again, I only really use the iPod when I'm exercising. I've noticed that some people wear them basically all the time, I've even had a few face to face conversations while the other person is rocking out with the headphones on.

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
Mine's not massive by any stretch (roughly 5500 songs and dropping), but I listen to all of it. About 5% of them are unplayed, and most of those are actually my (as in me the musician) songs.

I've spent the last two months getting rid of things I realized I no longer listened to, and my collection is much more satisfying as a result. I don't want the just-in-case stuff. I want the can't live without stuff. It results in fewer songs, but it feels good knowing I'm not hanging on to albums because I'm afraid to get rid of them.

With regards to listening time, I pretty much listen to music all day. During school, my iPod went everywhere with me, and when I got back to my room, I listened to stuff while studying and getting work done. Now that it's summer, I don't use the iPod much, but whenever I'm at the laptop, my headphones are running.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
I have 6933 songs, 44.34GBs.

I keep about 900 songs on my iPod Touch (8GB) and will be able to bump that to 1500 when I get my 16GB iPhone 3G next week. Every one of my songs is rated, so I use Smart Playlists (based on rating + playcount) to fill all of my iPods, and will do the same with my two new iPhones.

Nosoforos

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2008
close to 12.000 songs, approaching 80GB of diskspace. I like to have a real library, where I can actually look things up, discover songs I forgot I even had them. For relaxed music listening I do however nearly always use the original cd, or preferably even the LP (about 5000 of the songs are old jazz and blues)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.