How can I uninstall Snow Leopard or Vista ll?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by 3goldens, Aug 29, 2009.

1. 3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens

I want to go back. How do you uninstall, reinstall with original disks? Will that wipe out everything?

This OX is for the birds!

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

There is nothing dramatically wrong with Snow Leopard. Maybe your system has other issues or something happened during the install. Apple can't possibly test every possible configuration. Maybe some software you have installed is the problem.

S-

4. 3goldens thread starter macrumors 68000

3goldens

There seem to be a lot of people having the same problem and are not very happy.

I am ussually a happy adopter but I know enough about what I am doing to have checked every possible thing that could be affecting this and my other Apple.

Too much of a coincidence for me!

5. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

A lot of people? Or a few people but we just hear about every one of them. I bet if you did a poll asking if people had install issues, the vast majority would say no.

My install went perfect and continues to go perfect. No install problems, no crashes, freezes, etc.

I am not saying the problems you are experiencing aren't real. But labeling the OS "Vista II" is over the top.

S-

6. sonspot macrumors member

easy fella, if someone wants to go back, thats their choice and not ours to say this OS is great, good or whatever, so far i've seen no benefit to this upgrade but thats does not mean there's no benefit for someone else

7. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Care to elaborate? Just going off your technical skills, or lack thereof, what exactly in you mind makes SL "for the birds." All SL is for the most part is 10.5 tweaked. Are you really going back to Tiger?

8. iFanboy Guest

I have no words for the OP in this thread.

Vista II? *Sigh* :(

9. mcbean macrumors newbie

TiVo!!!

Since installing Snow Leopard, I no longer have access to TiVo Transfer, part of a Roxio Toast package. I also can't use my Epson WorkForce 600 printer. I downloaded and installed the recommended printer driver from the Epson website, but I still get the message that the driver isn't installed. Is it possible to go back to Leopard???? This sucks!

10. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

Hah... :p

11. mcbean macrumors newbie

Pebkac

Okay, maybe I'm doing something wrong. Perhaps you could help, instead of trying to be funny. Not all of us are Mac experts, you know.

12. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

How about you explain what problems you're having before calling it Vista II?

The subject of this thread makes me wonder just how much you know about technology.

Edit: All the posts I've found of the OP ranting about how 10.6 is Vista II have been responded to with a "Did you try an erase-and-install?" with no response from the OP. Seems like someone is fishing for attention.

13. mcbean macrumors newbie

Not Vista II

I really do need help -- I'm not the one calling it Vista II. My issues are up above under "McBean." My problems are with TiVo Transfer (using Toast) and my Epson WorkForce 600 printer driver. I downloaded the new printer driver from the Epson site -- it's supposed to be compatible with Snow Leopard -- but I still get the message that I need to install the printer driver.

Really, I'm not an expert and don't claim to be. Just thought this might be a good way to get a little advice from people who know a lot more than I do.

I do know a lot about other stuff. I could even sew you a shirt with a pocket protector. Just need a little help with the Mac, that's all.

14. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Have you gone into System Preferences:print & Fax and made sure the Epson is using the right driver. The driver gets dropped in /Library/Printers, but unless the installer added a new printer or modified the old one to use the new driver, you are not actually using it.

PM if you need more help.

15. Macmel macrumors 6502

Truth is, Windows had released something like SL, we would be kicking their asses off, but being Apple... If I have to be computer skilled to make my installation of SL work as opposed to "just upgrade" as advertised, it is Apple to blame, not me.
    "Apple cannot test every possible configuration". And MS can? Because again, they have several thousand configurations more to test (not only because they have way more hardware available but also because they have more software to put on it).
    So, given the proportions, I would say that yes, SL is a little bit like Vista was for MS. By the say, Vista has been running on my computer for weeks now without restarting (last time was an update) and I'm having no problems on a $600 computer.
    And still waiting for my copy of SL to install it on my MBP early 2008

16. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Ummm... wow. Apple gets held to higher standards than MS does because people expect OS X to be a rock.

Anyone who went through Vista's launch knows that it was a mess. There was no way to do an upgraded installation and there were far more issues with hardware and application compatibility. For months people had to run their applications in XP compatibility mode to have any hope of them working correctly. People who load OS X and do a 15 minute migration of their applications and files have no idea what it's like to migrate OS on an MS platform. They have no idea how good they've got it and would rather sit around here whining that the OS install didn't detect their 100 system hacks and 10 year old software and patch them up so they work perfect.

You and others are completely blowing the problems out of proportion. Yes, a number of applications don't work, mostly older ones or 'system hacks' that you should know wouldn't work with a completely rewritten OS. Yes, there are a few bugs such as 10.6 shipping with an outdated buggy version of Flash.

Seriously though, what flipping planet do you live on to make it out to be a Vista like OS? The overwhelming majority of reviews of Snow Leopard have been positive (unlike Vista) and the fact is that if you have a stock system (or even a near stock system) SL works great!

Maybe Macrumors admins can build a new OS X sub forum for the 5% of SL whiners to get together and gripe and whine about how horrible it is.

17. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Why don't you wait until you've actually experienced it because now you're in the category of spreading FUD about SL and you haven't even tried it yet. Most of the issues people are having are installation concerns. Vista had issues with hogging memory, drivers and stability and wasn't compatible with a lot of hardware, these issues are very minimal on SL. It's true, a lot of people don't know what the hell they are doing and outside of an upgrade trying to do a reformat and install does require a person to be tech savvy. The average consumer doesn't even know how to open their email.
    I have 3 Macs, a white Macbook, a 13" Macbook Pro and a 24" iMac and all 3 had zero issues with installations. All 3 also run Snow Leopard beautifully with zero issues. I'm not the only one who's said that they are having great experiences but of course this forum LOVES drama over success and they will ignore people who say they are not having problems. :rolleyes:

Remember, we are all using the same computers and the same OS, if people are having problems it's usually their own doings or their own softwares, but of course they won't tell you the whole story because they refuse to take responsibility, it's easier to place blame on the system.

18. cmaier macrumors G3

The truth is, if Microsoft (not Windows) had released something like SL, it would be a welcome change. Instead of randomly changing UI paradigms, adding inconsistent metaphors, adding bloat so that new, faster hardware is required to keep up, and releasing a plethora of different and confusingly differentiated skus, Microsoft took 18 months or so to focus on cleaning up all the kludgey code and internal hacks to build a better foundation for the future? Sign me up.

As for the rest, the vast majority of folks have had no upgrade problems, using the regular upgrade procedure. I, myself, have done that on two macs with no problems whatsoever.

People who have no issues don't go posting on boards - it's only the people who have problems that you see.

19. mcbean macrumors newbie

#&^$!

Okay. I've looked in System Preferences and the driver is listed. Just to be sure, I went into the drop down menu and reselected the correct driver but whenever I try to print, I get the "Printer Ready" header with the "You need to install software..." I've checked for updates under the Apple menu, there is one, I've installed it, but it still doesn't work. I get the same message. I've restarted, and the printer always comes up with that stupid exclamation point in the triangle.

It's not the end of the world -- I have another MacBook Pro (about a year old) that prints just fine. I didn't install Snow Leopard on it. It's the unibody that I upgraded. It just would be nice if everything worked.

Should I completely uninstall the printer driver and try again?

20. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

You mean a bit like how QuickTime X's UI is totally out of place and right clicking anything on the dock is completely different to right clicking everywhere else in the OS?

21. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Has it occurred to you to delete all printers, reset the print system and then reinstall the print drivers and software (possibly from Epson)?

The built in drivers don't work properly with all printers. I had to hack and reload drivers to get my networked Canon MX860 to work properly but it really wasn't that big of a deal. Additionally Canon have now updated most of their printer drivers to be compatible with Snow Leopard so I wouldn't be surprised if Epson did the same.

22. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

That couldn't hurt.

Do this first:
    Go into System Preferences:print & Fax and right click on the printer and select "Reset Printing System."
    Trash this: /Library/Printers/Epson
    and trash this /Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources/Epson Workforce 600.gz

There may be multiples for the 600, trash all of them. Now reinstall the driver you got from Epson.

23. helix21 macrumors regular

[​IMG]

at Vista II

Snow leopard for me personally has been brilliant

My all-in-one printer scanner now works perfectly, unlike in leopard. I gained 13GB disk space back, I got a faster and future ready system. Not to mention the brilliance of preview(annotations), quicktime x,expose and of course 64 bit