Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mbell1975

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2012
Seriously?

Yep, seriously. There are $50 android phones with bigger displays, 4g, SD cards, bigger batteries and an OS that does a lot more out of the box. I consider that a real phone, not one with a tiny screen, outdated 3g, poor radios and a closed OS you need to hack to even somewhat customize.

404 tech junkie

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2012
Yep, seriously. There are $50 android phones with bigger displays, 4g, SD cards, bigger batteries and an OS that does a lot more out of the box. I consider that a real phone, not one with a tiny screen, outdated 3g, poor radios and a closed OS you need to hack to even somewhat customize.

I have to agree with you to a point. If the iPhone were in the Android world, it would be considered an upper low-end device. In its current state, it lacks several things you'd come to expect out of even a mid-tier phone. Heck there are dual-core mid level phones out there with more features. But since Apple gets to play in its own field (iOS), they aren't necessarily held to the same standard. They can get away with releasing a device like that, because people will buy it simply because it's an iPhone. There's a measuring stick for the iPhone, and then there's a measuring stick for other Android phones. That's why I tend to compare Android phones with other Androids, rather than comparing them to the iPhone. Until the iPhone catches up, I don't think there's much reason to compare phones to it. I can understand an iPhone owner making comparisons to see how they stack up, but there's not reason for other phone owners to make comparisons to the iPhone.
Note: To those who might get emotional about my statement, this isn't intended as shot. More so pointing out that what's considered acceptable in the iPhone world, isn't acceptable outside Apple's ecosystem.

applefanDrew

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2010
Yea, I mean expecting Apple to produce a superior product to some $150 LG phone is expecting far too much right? :rolleyes: That LG phone has 4G, a larger screen, SD card slot, removable battery...

Sd card slot, removable battery....including these is not progression of tech. Let go of antiquated stuff. Move on. Apple is moving on.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
The iPhone 4S is not "massively" outdated. There are only a few phones that have quad core processors, none of which have been released in US (US versions are dual core). The iPhone was released around 9 months ago. It runs just fine without any lag.

Apple will use a processor that the iPhone NEEDS. They will have LTE (new revision) that does not destroy battery life.

Honestly who cares who implements technology on their device first. What matters is who is the first one to fully utilize such technology in an optimized way. Software is very important.
Read a little more about the snapdragon s4 if you don't think the iphones hardware is outdated. It destroys the a5 in benchmarks and uses much less power because its on a 28nm process.

404 tech junkie

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2012
Sd card slot, removable battery....including these is not progression of tech. Let go of antiquated stuff. Move on. Apple is moving on.

I agree those things aren't progression. However, LTE, HSPA+ 42, NFC, larger screens, and many other things are. Fortunately, the iPhone is likely to get at least a couple of these things. Unfortunately, it will likely still be missing some other things current high-end phones have, as Apple tends to not give everything at once.

Catdogchicken

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2011
Sheffield UK
Read a little more about the snapdragon s4 if you don't think the iphones hardware is outdated. It destroys the a5 in benchmarks and uses much less power because its on a 28nm process.

So that's the point of owning an Android, so you can run benchmarks all day and yell, JEEZ I haz 0.04 more microjisms than j00r iPhone!!

All that matters is the end user. The majority of people with Android devices use it to phone and text, and are just to complex to use. Likewise with the iPhone only a tiny fraction realise what a JB is or actually have it jailbroken.

404 tech junkie

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2012
So that's the point of owning an Android, so you can run benchmarks all day and yell, JEEZ I haz 0.04 more microjisms than j00r iPhone!!

All that matters is the end user. The majority of people with Android devices use it to phone and text, and are just to complex to use. Likewise with the iPhone only a tiny fraction realise what a JB is or actually have it jailbroken.

What you said doesn't make sense...the majority of people with Android devices use it to phone and text, yet it's too complex to use? So how are they making calls and texting? You really think making a phone call is difficult to do? You think sending a text message is hard?

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009

The only phone that has an excuse to have a non removable battery is the razr maxx with it 3400 mah battery. The iPhones puny 1400mAh is hardly an excuse.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
If one were so inclined, they could also build a more powerful computer for about half the price of an iMac... yet many of us here will gladly buy a computer from Apple because it's not all about the specs.

I still fail to see the need for all of these threads comparing and mocking Apple and those of us who choose to use their products and I really don't understand why some of you who are clearly not fans of Apple or the iPhone are even here in the first place.

Catdogchicken

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2011
Sheffield UK
What you said doesn't make sense...the majority of people with Android devices use it to phone and text, yet it's too complex to use? So how are they making calls and texting? You really think making a phone call is difficult to do? You think sending a text message is hard?

They use them just to phone and text. The difficult part is the OS, I've seen people who didn't know about the drop down menu etc. my wife's dad (73 yo) nearly smashed his £80 Samsung as he couldnt turn off a reminder let alone start flashing roms.

The vast majority of Android users don't know what GHZ (and probably don't care) their processor is or what version of Android it is. Simply put iOS is far more intuitive than Android, and no amount of cores or the latest java benchmark will change that

404 tech junkie

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2012
They use them just to phone and text. The difficult part is the OS, I've seen people who didn't know about the drop down menu etc. my wife's dad (73 yo) nearly smashed his £80 Samsung as he couldnt turn off a reminder let alone start flashing roms.

The vast majority of Android users don't know what GHZ (and probably don't care) their processor is or what version of Android it is. Simply put iOS is far more intuitive than Android, and no amount of cores or the latest java benchmark will change that

If they couldn't turn off a reminder, then they just aren't very technologically literate. When a reminder goes off, there are only two options, snooze or dismiss. So if they couldn't figure out which one to hit, that says more about them than it does about the device. As for iOS being "intuitive", I really tire of that buzz word being used. There are some things that are more intuitive on iOS, just as there are more things that are more intuitive on Android. For example, on iOS, if a notification comes in and I tend to it, I can't just hit back and go back to where I was prior to the notification. That's not very intuitive. What is intuitive is being able to hit the back key and be back on the screen I was on prior to addressing whatever notification I dealt with. Both OS' have their pluses and minuses. I think one of the biggest myths is the "intuitiveness" of iOS being greater than other OS'. I think you're confusing simplicity with intuitiveness. iOS is more simple than Android, which is both it's biggest advantage and biggest shortcoming, and vice versa.

As for your example, regarding the person not knowing about the notification panel. If they couldn't figure out how to pull it down on Android, then they certainly would not in iOS, when the notifications disappear and aren't even static. They wouldn't even know it's there then. That goes back to what I was saying about some things being more intuitive on Android.

lannisters4life

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2012
Sydney
Yes. I've been to 9 different countries. In my country, learnt is not a word. I didn't know you were from somewhere else.

And it's "airplane".

Wow, you are so knowledgable in the language of your own country that your expertise surpasses Webster's (I know, he was a bit of a nut, right?). For your aid, chiefly is an adverb, and it does not imply exclusivity.

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
You know how Android / Linux 'fans' called Apple fanboy's the worst for evangelism, seems like the tables are turning a bit, the amount of Android people who are desperate to drive home the fact they bought a better product is just staggering.

Seems to have all turned nasty the past week or so... not sure why they need to come and slag off beta products so much?? Can't we all just...get along? :)

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK

If he couldn't turn off the notification means that he shouldn't have a smartphone

B777Forevar

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2011
Chicago, IL
The next iPhone doesn't need to do anything spectacular to catch the spotlight. I guarantee you that millions people will be ordering it the minute Tim Cook & Co announces it.

mbell1975

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2012
The next iPhone doesn't need to do anything spectacular to catch the spotlight. I guarantee you that millions people will be ordering it the minute Tim Cook & Co announces it.

Millions order Justin Bieber albums right away too...still crap.

mbell1975

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2012
I wouldn't go as far as calling the iPhone crap. It's a decent phone for what it is, it just has a lot of room for improvement.

Well it's not complete crap but come on. A supposed high end device still running 3G with a tiny screen, no SD slot, tiny battery you can't remove or upgrade and an OS that trails years behind its main competitor? Pretty sad actually.

404 tech junkie

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2012
Well it's not complete crap but come on. A supposed high end device still running 3G with a tiny screen, no SD slot, tiny battery you can't remove or upgrade and an OS that trails years behind its main competitor? Pretty sad actually.

Much of that stuff is why I said, if the iPhone were in the Android world, it would be considered an upper low-end phone. It benefits from being in it's own ecosystem, so it isn't necessarily subject to the same expectations as other phones. What's acceptable in an iPhone isn't acceptable in the Android arena. Put it this way, if you put iOS on the Galaxy S3 it would sell, but if you put Android on the iPhone, it would not (not to mention it would either be free or $50).

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
I think the biggest point that is being missed here is that enthusiasts & power users do not influence the movement of a device in to the "spotlight" as much as the millions of people whose current device is 10x more smartphone than they already need.

So, spouting on about a faster OS, etc is irrelevant to this conversation. People who do not even know how to properly close their apps or never take the packaging film off their screen out of the box are out their asking when the next iPhone will be out.

As long as the iPhone meets the mundane needs of the the most common user, the brand familiarity will keep it comfortably in the "spotlight".

Just take a look at the sales success of the 4s. I doubt that even a fifth of the consumers who bought it made their decision because it had a faster processor.

404 tech junkie

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2012
I think the biggest point that is being missed here is that enthusiasts & power users do not influence the movement of a device in to the "spotlight" as much as the millions of people whose current device is 10x more smartphone than they already need.

So, spouting on about a faster OS, etc is irrelevant to this conversation. People who do not even know how to properly close their apps or never take the packaging film off their screen out of the box are out their asking when the next iPhone will be out.

As long as the iPhone meets the mundane needs of the the most common user, the brand familiarity will keep it comfortably in the "spotlight".

Just take a look at the sales success of the 4s. I doubt that even a fifth of the consumers who bought it made their decision because it had a faster processor.

You are absolutely right. The iPhone sells because of it's name, not necessarily because of what it is. The average person has no clue what processor it has, or what it is or is not capable of, nor do they care. People tend to go with what's popular, and at the present time, that's what's popular. I can't tell you how many times over the last couple of years, a person has asked me if my phone was an iPhone. When I tell them it is not, they would respond "you should get one, because it's the best". When I ask them why it's the best, not one person had a reason to back it up, their response was "that's what they heard".

thewaffle

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2012
Re:

years behind. So wait, we're talking about Research in Motion now? If so yes I agree. RIM is a bit behind it's main competitors. Otherwise if you're talking Microsoft or Apple being years behind Android then you're just randomly typing words on a screen. Last I checked usability was still very, very high, efficient and stable. I don't consider being able to add widgets to your screens, have live wallpaper and floating updates to be years ahead of anyone. For an OS that's how did you state it 'years behind' they sure do have a lot of support from app developers, third party vendors, accessory makers, etc. No way would I support a phone that's 'years' behind but for some reason these 3rd party vendors do. Weird huh?

Last edited:

Sebct

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2010
London, UK.

From your thinking, maybe we should just go back to outdated tech completely. Add one of those external Antennae ports, Polyphonic ringtones...It would be great!

Let's go through your points:

Bigger Display: Yes, by all means it will come eventually. However if you do want to look like a cock whilst on the phone, go get one Samsung things?

business-man-on-brick-phone-bkt_10780.jpg

4G: On it's way too....

SD Cards: Refer to picture above. Why do you need so much space anyway?

Bigger Batteries: Again, refer to picture above.

OS: What kind of things are you talking about? I've even trained mine to walk the dog...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.