Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
There are many that need one for work and this is a better model than what they had before. I'm using 2014 + 2015 MBPs and looking at the 2019. Benefits for me would be more RAM, and longer battery life. I am not constrained by CPU or GPU performance. Of course carrying two laptops requires a bit of effort but I'm willing to put up with that. There are some downsides too but I could live with those.

My current problem: sitting on a huge AAPL profit and I don't really need anything from Apple at the moment. I wish that they made a Mid-Tower Mac with a GPU.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

NeroAugustus

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2019
there is an Apple hater who's sole purpose is to constantly bash the company no matter what they do (see Linus Tech Tips)

I agreed with everything you said until this point.

Why do people keep saying Linus Tech Tips are haters who just criticize everything Apple does?

Watch his latest MBP 15" video where his team praises the improvement in thermals of the 2019 15". Watch his airpods reviews. Watch his iPhone 11 pro max video (that one is literally titled "The iPhone 11 Pro Max is great"...).

Where is the blind hater everyone keeps talking about?

Linus has no problem saying he prefers windows/android, but he also has no problem giving credit where credit is due. He is precisely what we (the non fanatical Apple users) should be asking for, someone critical of Apple with a relevant audience, someone who won't be afraid of not receiving free review samples anymore.

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
Man oh man - me too.
I love my Hackintosh, but would love a normal Mac desktop again at some point.

I don't think it will ever happen though so -- oh well I guess.
Its like they over delivered with the mac pro lol. pretty frustrating. EVEN SO though, if they just had nvidia support so i could use CUDA i could convince my supervisor maybe to let me get a mac pro. but without it, its DOA.

ill probably build a linux box with my own hardware and ssh into that w/ the macbook. probably get way more for my money with that set up than with a mac pro alone

Reactions: turbineseaplane

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009

Why do people keep saying Linus Tech Tips are haters who just criticize everything Apple does?

Watch his latest MBP 15" video where his team praises the improvement in thermals of the 2019 15". Watch his airpods reviews. Watch his iPhone 11 pro max video (that one is literally titled "The iPhone 11 Pro Max is great"...).

Linus has no problem saying he prefers windows/android, but he also has no problem giving credit where credit is due. He is precisely what we (the non fanatical Apple users) should be asking for, someone critical of Apple with a relevant audience, someone who won't be afraid of not receiving free review samples anymore.
He's also wearing an Apple Watch in every video nowadays, lol.

Reactions: RedTheReader

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
I can't have an opinion on a situation or product unless I personally own and use it?
That's nonsense and you know it.

This forum would have almost no traffic and no opinions or dicussion if that were the bar for conversation
You can certainly have an opinion, but if I based my opinion just on what I read on this board, I would think this product was a disaster, rather than the best portable Apple has ever made (and as an owner of a 16” and a buttload of Apple portables from the 80s onward, I am fairly confident in stating that). This doesn’t mean it’s perfect, and Catalina is definitely its Achilles heel at the moment.

Reactions: Donnation

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
You can certainly have an opinion, but if I based my opinion just on what I read on this board, I would think this product was a disaster, rather than the best portable Apple has ever made

Luckily I have more than just this forum as my source of information.
;)

(for the record - that user and I have PM'd and we are all good - let's please not keep this going and clogging up the thread - thank you!)

RedTheReader

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2019

Wait, this opinion is common on MacRumors? People actually say that Linus is an Apple hater? I thought it was just the one guy. If that’s the case, then damn… guess I must be an Apple hater too.

-narcan-

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2011
I’ve seen Linus move between iOS and Android for his personal device for years (though not since the iPhone X). Just this year I’ve seen him praise the 2019 iMac and iPhone 11’s.

I think Linus tends to just pick whatever narrative will resonate with his audience best at the time.

He’s built his channel on overly opinionated takes than preach to the choir.

Pepe4life

Suspended
Nov 15, 2018
I went to exchange my 16” due to the garbage dim screen, as it turns out, all the display models in store were equally dim or worse than what I have right now. Let’s see if Apple fixes this with a software update. If not, it’s being returned at the end of the holiday return period.

sat24

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2019
I went to exchange my 16” due to the garbage dim screen, as it turns out, all the display models in store were equally dim or worse than what I have right now. Let’s see if Apple fixes this with a software update. If not, it’s being returned at the end of the holiday return period.
Have you tried calibrating the screen? OPTION + Calibrate for extra expert options.

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014

I quit watching his channel but see where he has given some favorable reviews to Apple products, which is nice to see. With that being said, what I said still stands true. There are reviewers on YouTube and elsewhere who go out of their way to bash Apple products regardless of what the product is and how well it performs.

I guess my entire point was that anyone being critical of iJustine just doesn't get what her channel is about. I honestly can't watch that fluff as her target audience seems to be teenage boys and girls but she has a large following so some people must enjoy it.

MRrainer

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
they definitely have experienced it because it shows up in final cut and they all harp night and day about video editing as if its the pinnacle of computing. and yet they dont mention it. which leads me to believe apple really pays them and thus none of their "reviews" can be based on any merit

Automotive reviewers get specially selected and triple-checked cars (sometimes with engines that are a little more powerful).

Do you think if Apple sends out a bunch of early review-units, it won't go over them with a microscope, given that the likes of iJustine, MKBHD et.al. have a double-digit million number of subscribers?
You might think that Apple are idiots, but they are certainly not.

With 10m subscribers, MKBHD alone probably moves sale-charts of products even by just thinking about them.

I don't think Apple pays anybody. If you have a early review or a "special interview" like Jonathan Morrison did with Phil Schiller, that alone is enough to boost your channel and that is real money.

zhy3213

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2018
Beijing, China
Every new MBPs got problems. This thread really reminds me of a year ago when I got my new 2018 MBP and to find it speakers crackling, CPU performance dropping, kernel panic and so on, and start to be anxious with other people in the forum. And there was a man saying the exactly the same thing like I'm saying now: every thing will be fine. Finally every problems were fixed, so just wait for updates from apple. If you cannot bare it then return it, but I strongly recommend not to unless it really affects your productivity.
tips: you can call apple and claim that you are having those issues thus you want to prolong the returning window from 15 days to 30 days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.