Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How did you pay for your iPad?

• I paid for it with money I have now.

Votes: 458 90.3%
  • I got financing and can easily pay it off in a few months.

Votes: 34 6.7%
  • I got financing but it will be difficult paying it off any time soon.

Votes: 15 3.0%

• Total voters

zenoran

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
I like to consider myself someone who is in between the whole Apple vs anti-Apple mindset but this latest "launch" has me really questioning the motives of Americans. To see the crazed hype surrounding the iPad 2 when considering the quality of the device vs. recent and upcoming competition is really baffling.

I know a lot of people get excited about the whole waiting in line thing and to see Apple in the news claiming their demand is greater than supply etc. etc. That's fine, you're passionate about Apple and like to see them succeed. Whether or not this hype is actual reality or just fabricated marketing to hypnotize people into creating a need and/or demand is a completely different story though. Apple has done it in the past and they clearly did it this time but I see a big difference here in the attention it has gathered.

When we're talking about phones that are subsidized by a carrier it drops the cost of a device from about $600 down to $200ish. $200 is manageable for most Americans and can sustain the "hype" with a somewhat healthy financial impact. Tablets, on the other hand, are a completely different story. These aren't subsidized by carriers and consumers are forced to pay a minimum of $500 cash to feed their need. That's a lot of money for the majority of people. So much money that you would normally dismiss the idea completely due to the financial impact it would have on your budget.

Granted, a lot of people do actually make the money to sustain that sort of spending and that's great for them. Personally, I'm a single guy with no kids or debt and pull in a good salary so I can afford to buy expensive toys but even I do so within a restrictive allowance. Is that everyone else's situation though? All these millions of people who are lining up at stores to drop hundreds of dollars on a device all have that cash to throw down like that?

Where am I going with all this? Well, I do consider the marketing gimmicks of Apple to promote both good and bad things. In this particular situation the hype was created around something that is VERY expensive and no one really NEEDS. To go to walmart and see people fighting over iPads when they don't even have the money to properly clothe themselves has me questioning if this is actually a positive thing.

How did all these people pay for this? Surely people can make their own financial decisions but what is this "hype" actually adding up to. Did Apple hypnotize people people who can hardly pay their bills into feeling the need to buy one of these devices everyone wants so they whipped out their credit card?

It's just something I'm curious about... there really is no way to measure the amount of debt iPad sales accrued but I was just curious to see the results from those from macrumors who are willing to contribute to a little survey.

:)

Ecoh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2009
USA
I have been planning to buy an iPad since the first one was released.

I saved for it by letting the IRS withhold more from my salary than I owed. :D

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
iPad goes as low as 349 dollars from apple. I can hardly see how that needs to be financed. Look at our ladies, wives and girls. They buy bags from coach, Channel, and Prada. Look at those price tags. They go 500 dollars as high as 1000 dollars.

They buy those bags like 5-10 a year. Buy 1 less than you have an iPad. If your wife is giving u hard time buying an iPad, just tell them to look at their fancy bags from prada, Channel, Coach and other brands. They cost 300-500 dollars easily.

dmaul1114

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2011
Paid with money I have.

Paid via credit card to earn reward points, but have already paid the balance off in full like I do every month.

I wouldn't finance something like this as $600 isn't that much money. Something at that level I'll only buy if I have the cash to buy it.

The only things I may finance is some major appliance or TV purchase on one of those 2 years 0% interest deals as then I can keep a few thousand or whatever in the bank earning interest rather than giving it all to the store right away. But even that you should only do if you have a stable job as if you end up not paying it off in the time limit they add on the interest that accrued over the entire time since the purchase.

Last edited:

Sketchr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Credit card. But will be paying that before grace period ends so, it's money I have and I don't pay interest. I always pay with credit card earn rewards and purchase protection...

zenoran

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
iPad goes as low as 349 dollars from apple. I can hardly see how that needs to be financed. Look at our ladies, wives and girls. They buy bags from coach, Channel, and Prada. Look at those price tags. They go 500 dollars as high as 1000 dollars.

They buy those bags like 5-10 a year. Buy 1 less than you have an iPad. If your wife is giving u hard time buying an iPad, just tell them to look at their fancy bags from prada, Channel, Coach and other brands. They cost 300-500 dollars easily.

Ya you can surely get a first generation iPad for cheaper... but those weren't the people who were waiting in line and continue to do so. I admit, even I was drawn to the iPad 2 because of hype it created. I was just amazed to see millions of people who have that kind of cash to throw down on something that no one really needs. :confused:

iRabbit

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2007
Long Island, NY
When I bought two iPhone 4s (one for my daughter, one for me) it cost me approximately $400 for both. I went home and put my mint 3GS and her scratched up 3G on Ebay... within 15 minutes they were both sold for more than I paid for the iPhone 4s. Makes no sense, but it's true.

The day I heard the iPad 2 announcement I got my original iPad on EBay. In three days it was sold for $550. That means I only needed to come up with about $250 to buy the new iPad 2 I wanted. Completely affordable.

Whether you love or hate Apple, their devices tend to hold their value a whole lot better than other electronics, and we certainly don't all have to go into hock to buy what we want.

~signed Amy... a girl who like electronics, not Coach bags :p

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
With money I have now.

Im no where near rich, but I plan to buy an iOS device every year which means I save for mine. I treat it like a holiday. It actually comes before my birthday in my mind. Only other people care about my birthday, not me.

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
Will be using credit card to purchase so I can get reward points.
Will pay off credit card balance using tax refund I'm getting this year...more than enough to cover the cost of the 64GB model.
Only question for me now is WiFi or 3G? That and where/when the hell can I get one.

gwen1o

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2011
:confused: It's Chanel, not Channel. And you can't go near one of their bags for under $2000. Just FYI...

MykullMyerz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2006
Washington, D.C.
Well, thank goodness, my agency had some extra funds in the budget this year, so all the employees, including me (a lowly intern) received bonuses this year; and mine will be going toward the purchase of a 64 GB, Verizon iPad. Now, all I need to do is find a store with some in stock.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA

Get your woman in line geez.

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
Paid with my Amex card for the automatic year warranty extension and rewards. Got home from Best Buy and make an EFT payment from checking account, so paid in full.

dtlee1974

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2010
Bought the 1st Gen with bonus money, sold it for $550 added $300 and bought the new one. Paid with AMEX for rewards + extra year of warranty and paid it off after the charge posted.

mrcalabash

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2011
I had $225 gift cards for Best Buy. I've been looking for something that is not cheaper at an alternative (i.e., Amazon) to Best Buy. Ipad is not discounted so finally I had a use for my gift cards. Paid for the balance with a credit card, and after learning my lesson earlier in life I pay off my charges monthly and maintain a zero balance.

MrMac'n'Cheese

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2010
I paid cash-money, well with my debit, but I clearly had the cash to back up the transaction in my checking acct. so the same difference.

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2008
I paid with $575 in BB giftcards. I bought them from a place where I get fuel perks. That gave me $2.80 off a gallon of gas. I got 30 gallons of gas for $19.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.