How do you charge your iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dissizitt, Jul 6, 2012.

1. dissizitt macrumors member

Do you guys wait until it reaches near 0% to charge? Or wait till it gets ~40%?
    I read the you should only let it run down near to zero once a month...just wondering how you guys charge your iPhone..:cool:

2. TallGuy1970 macrumors 6502

I put it on the charger every night while I sleep.

3. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I'm an expert at charging.

I attended, studied, and graduated with high honors from the "Apple School of iPhone Charging".

An eight week course.

And I do it with Style :eek:

4. dissizitt thread starter macrumors member

Doesn't that mess up your iPhone battery if you leave it overnight to charge? Once it hits 100% I usually take it off right away.

@IXODES: Well I just got into Apple School of iPhone Charging. Looking for pointers from graduates. :p

5. Mic'sBook macrumors regular

I don't care if it reaches 0~2% (iPhone will turn itself off at 1-2% by the way) or not.
    Just charge it via USB when I'm home and using my Mac.
    However, I do let the battery completely run down to 0~2% at least once a month.

Leaving it overnight to charge shouldn't be a problem at all.

You can take a look at this:
    http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

6. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

You answered your own question. If you're aiming for longevity, take it off the charger as soon as it's charged, and don't let it discharge fully if possible. Personally I charge when it's at 30 to 40% most of the time.

7. iHelios macrumors member

My 3GS usually gets charged once a day (usually while I'm at work at my desk)... For a 3 year old phone I'm truly impressed by the battery life and performance.

8. Vegastouch, Jul 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2012

Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Doesnt matter. The charger stops automatically when it is done.

9. Carterxx macrumors member

I always put it on the charger in the car, as well as charge it over night. I realize I will always either 1. buy the newest iPhone every year, or 2. buy a different phone every year or so, so I am not really worried about battery life.

10. chambone, Jul 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2012

chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

Yes, but the point is that it will keep the battery at 100%, which causes it a fair bit of stress, especially if done for a few hours every day. If you were to keep your battery between 30-80% charge, it would take many more than 400 cycles before its capacity would be down to 80% for example.

11. tann macrumors 68000

But it doesn't keep it at 100%, once the phones battery is full it stops charging it, once the battery has drained a bit it charges it back up to full and keeps doing this cycle. The whole time it is on the screen saying that the battery is 100% charged though. That's why on some days you might take it off at 100% and it'll last a long time before 99% and other days it'll drop 99,98,97% quite a bit faster. Even with similar usage.

12. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

Yes, I know it will top it up at regular intervals. Which is what I meant with keeping it at 100%. Bottom line being that lithium based rechargeable batteries don't like to be at near full charge, and keeping them topped up for four hours or so each night will diminish the battery's max capacity much more quickly than taking it off immediately when charged. Or better even, when not fully charged. Especially if you **** around with the phone 6 hours a day and deplete the battery close to completely on a regular basis. I don't make this stuff up. They're facts.

13. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Put it on the wall charger every night while I sleep, and during the day if I'm running low on power I either plug it into my laptop or charge it in the car.

14. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Yup. And if I stream a lot during the day, I'll throw it on the charger at work for half an hour or on the charger in the car for my 45ish minute commute. Then it's got plenty of juice for the rest of the day.

15. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I'm an opportunistic charger. If I can charge I will. Doesn't matter how much power I have at that moment.

16. JerseyDoug macrumors regular

17. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I also put my iPhone (& iPad) on the charger every night. That unless I really wear it down, then I'll put it on the charger sooner so it won't die before the end of the day.

18. chokem macrumors 6502

+1 on this. I have a charger by my recliner at home, a charger at work, and a car charger. If I'm not using it, I'm charging it. A fully charged 4S is a happy 4S. :D

19. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I do the same, charger at home and at work
    Stays on the charger unless I am mobile (always charged)
    And I keep it on a charger at bedside at night (it is my clock and alarm clock)

PS - I don't know that I trust any battery experts advice, I don't think they really know :)

20. JerseyDoug macrumors regular

Yep, use mine in a similar fashion. Only on the charger overnight, however. If I am running low during the day, I have a charger in my jeep, one at work and a small mophie juice pack on my key chain.

Re the battery experts, I think they get basic technology right. But, what they can't know is how the manufacturer designs and implements it's particular instance of that technology.

21. MistahMumford macrumors 6502

MistahMumford

All I do is plug in at night then power down. I do that so there's nothing running at night that would drain the battery...which is impossible if it's powered down!

:)

22. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I stopped caring about that stuff a long time ago. My suggestion is to just charge it every night or when ever necessary.

23. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Same reason I turned the battery percentage off on my iPhone
    Didn't want to see it anymore

24. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Understandably.

I still keep my percentage on - because without it, it's hard to say if you have 20% battery or 1%.

25. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I never get that low :)