iPad How do you feel about the 16GB base model (still)?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Italianblend, Oct 17, 2014.

?

How do you feel about the 16GB still being the base model storage?

1. It's fine. 16GB has always been fine

47 vote(s)
    22.7%
  2. It bothers me that they haven't increased the minimum storage yet

39 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. It's ridiculous that it's 2014 and we are still stuck at 16GB for a base model

106 vote(s)
    51.2%
  4. Other (Or: This poll is horrible)

15 vote(s)
    7.2%
  1. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

I have not seen many comments about the base model still giving us only 16GB.

Is this a big deal in your mind? Sure it would've been nice to up it to 32, and it really can't hold a lot at 16GB, but is it a deal-breaker for you?

2. bwsteg macrumors 6502

Personally for me, its more than adequate.

The only use I give my iPad is web browsing while at home on the recliner...

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I think it's ridiculous. IMO, 32GB aught to be the new minimum for the iPad's and iPhones. 16GB fills up too quickly now, even when one doesn't have a whole lot of stuff. I filled up my iPad Mini 2 twice now and had to sacrifice some stuff to clean it up.

4. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

5. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I would never buy a 16GB Apple device but I think it has it's place for those who want to keep the costs down. If you are not big on movies and do not need 500 apps, the 16GB model price makes the difference on if a buyer has the money to buy or not.

6. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

For a Tablet they should have made 32GB the start model and did away with 16GB. This, IMHO, is a bad move by Apple, although I'm sure some people will still buy it.

7. itsOver9000 macrumors 6502

itsOver9000

If the base storage was 32GB I'd be considering the iPad Air 2, rather than a refurb Air 1.

8. WashupDawg macrumors regular

16GB in 2014 is just ridiculous. Apple knows it.

They want us to get 64GB/128GB. It's the whole point of not letting us replace the flash memory.

9. Rodster macrumors 68040

This is on purpose and won't change until iPad sales are in the toilet. The 16GB model is a way to get you to spend another $100 for 4x the storage so it looks more attractive and gets Apple a better chance of getting you to spend for the upgrade. $100 for an extra 16GB is a big deal but an extra 48GB looks more enticing so you bite. An from what i've read on MR that iOS 8 takes up a little more space than iOS 7.

The Mini 2 has the better deal charging you $50 for an extra 16GB as that's pretty much the sweet spot for storage.

10. lyceumHQ macrumors 6502a

lyceumHQ

I have a 16gb iPad and only on a few occasions has it been an issue. But I do think that 16gb base model these days is inadequate. 32gb really should be the minimum. With cameras getting bigger. Photos taking up more space. People carrying more media on devices 16gb on a tablet just isn't enough. A few HD films and it's pretty much full.

11. Freida macrumors 65816

for people that use iPad for just browsing or emails the 16GB is more than plenty!
    When will people here understand that just cause you want to fill it up with a lot for YOUR OWN personal use does NOT mean that 16GB in 2014 is RIDICULOUS! My grandma would be more than happy with 16gb and so would my mum.
    Look at the bigger picture and stop whining about tiny things when market is broader than your limited view.
    There is a market for 16GB and there is a market for 64GB 128GB and even more. Respect people who have other needs than you and your life will be less troublesome.

12. 617aircav Suspended

People complain a soy everything. Apple dropped the price of the higher storage models. If 16 is too small you have a choice.

----------

And that's why there are different versions. Choice.

13. pacorob macrumors 68000

pacorob

I totally agree with you.

14. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

You'd think if they wanted to sell more apps and music, they'd be giving away storage to people that would be more inclined to fill their devices if that had more storage.

But then again, they'll make $$where they can. And it's obvious with the removal of 32gb storage. That's BS.

15. bwsteg macrumors 6502

Well said....

16. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

While I agree that 32GB should be the base for all devices today, I actually think it's less of a problem for the iPad than the iPhone. Obviously this depends on how you use your devices, but for us, we take most of our pictures on our phone, and send tons of photos and videos through imessage. Those two things alone can quickly consume most of the space on a 16GB iPhone. I also like to have my music library on my phone so I don't have to stream everything. On an iPad I'm ok accessing everything through the cloud as it's mostly a home use device for me.

Still, keep in mind that Apple is one of the few companies offering a wide range of capacities in their tablets! The new Nexus 9 also starts at 16GB and only offers up to 32GB! (For an extra $120 no less - yes that gets you LTE as well but I'd prefer 64GB and no LTE personally).

Many Samsung tablets are 32GB ONLY.

Given the state of the competition, it makes sense for Apple to continue offering 16GB models as the budget entry point.

17. Italianblend thread starter macrumors 68000

Italianblend

Do people really pay $500 dollars just to surf the web?

18. Quattro7 macrumors member

Quattro7

I think there are many users for who 16gb is enough, but I don't understand why they could double the 32 and 64 versions, and the 16 not. It probably would't cost them much more, and it would be a nice gesture to the buyers.

19. JSalig macrumors 6502

Well that escalated for no good reason. No one is insulting dear old granny for not needing more than 16gb of storage space. Some are just expressing irritation with the fact that it exists in the base model which is perfectly understandable from a consumer standpoint as it's the least expensive IOS option in a tablet market where competitors offer alot more for alot less. Now Apple is under no such obligation to change a business strategy that works for them but for people to shut up and 'stop whining' just because the majority is satisfied with the way things are is tantamount to going against oneself in the long run as we all benefit from more consumer-friendly practices. All feedback is good feedback. Don't like it, too bad.

20. Mackinjosh macrumors 6502a

Defense force for everything. If people are buying a 500 dollar tablet to browse the web or read emails, they're fools.

21. 617aircav Suspended

Surfing the web could include watching tons of videos.

----------

Lol. Because you said so? People can do what they want with their money. I'm buying my mom the 16gb iPad mini 2.

22. ryanmcv macrumors 6502a

ryanmcv

I think it's ridiculous that Apple hasn't bumped the base model up to 32GB. But for most consumers, I think it's a no-brainer to quadruple your storage space to 64GB for just $100 more. Unless you're really trying to save as much money as possible, the 16GB model seems like a pretty big rip-off and a blatant money-grab from Apple.

23. JTravers macrumors 6502a

16GB base is ridiculous. But I always get 64GB iPads, so I'm happy with the $100 savings for me. (I usually get 32GB iPhones, though, so I was upset at not being able to save $100 there.)

24. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

This exactly.

I think 32 should be the absolute minimum on the iPhone, but I'm on my second 16 GB iPad, and most likely about to buy my third. (Though the mere $50 difference between the 16 & 32 on the Mini 2 is tempting even though I know I don't really need it.) I don't put music on my iPad--that's what the phone is for, and it's ALWAYS nearby--and I don't watch movies. Even with around 100 apps on the iPad, I'm at just over 5 GB free. And let's face it, I'm not using all those apps!

So no, I don't have a problem with a base model at 16 GB. I wouldn't object to 32 at the same price obviously, but so long as the firmware doesn't get any more bloated (please stop adding apps that we can't delete, Apple), there's still a market for smaller storage.

25. EdMan macrumors 6502

EdMan

I've been trying to think about the logic Apple employs with the capacity choices. Perhaps they see it as by offering a 16gb model at its current price it makes people feel as if they have entry level for those who don't need high capacity.

On the other hand by offering those that need high capacity 64gb for $100.00 more makes that user feel they are getting a better deal. Because most people (on these boards at least ) are higher capacity users and its a no brainer to spend more and get the larger models. If they started off at 32gb those people that don't use that much space may feel as if they are paying for more than they need even though its the same price.

I think they feel the real benefit is to give the high capacity user a better deal because if you were a 32gb buyer then 64 would be a positive to you at the same price. I don't know. I'm just guessing here.