How do you get a close shave?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by c073186, Feb 19, 2008.

1. c073186 macrumors 6502a

I'm a 21-year-old male and I notice that no matter what I do, I can still see facial hair whether I shave or not. For the first few years of shaving, I relied on a Norelco 8894. However in the recent past I have decided that it does not do a very good job (despite replacing the blades) so I decided manual was the way to go. But still, I cannot get a close shave. I use shaving cream, of course, and I use a Gillete Sensor Excel razor (I have tried a variety, Schick Titanium, Gillete Mach III, etc.). I have tried in the shower (so that my skin is wet) and out of the shower - no difference. The skin feels mostly smooth to the touch but I can still see darkness in the areas and it looks very unprofessional. Sometimes people comment, saying things like "are you growing a mustache" or if I ask if it looks like I have shaved they will say "no". I thought maybe I was not applying enough pressure, but if I add more pressure then I get nicks and cuts. I have tried shaving in multiple directions (with / against the grain) - no change.

So I ask, what am I missing? I did not think shaving was a terribly complex operation and yet I cannot seem to master it. Does anyone have any tips for how to get a super-close shave?

2. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Just grow some facial hair. Covers up the problem and if you keep it trim it will still look professional

3. protozoa macrumors regular

I don't think there is anything more you can do other than use shaving cream and a quality razor (one that has some sort of strip on it to help glide the thing... and maybe a double blade system). I've never come across an electric razor that did a decent job.

Do you wet your face with warm water before you apply the foam? Something like this might help too.

4. Phat Elvis macrumors 6502

5. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

have you tried neutrogena men razor defense shave gel? it gives a close shave and it's the best shave gel imho. i use that + mach3 (non-turbo) in the shower.

6. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Shecky: You just literally sent me on a 3 hour detour from my work to look at a lot of information on wet shaving. Very informative, and I think I'd love it, but I don't think I'm going to be dropping $90 on a full set up just yet. But once I do, Taylor of Old Bond Street's Eton College fragrance it is.

7. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Go visit Sweeney Todd! He'll give you the closest shave you've ever known. :p

8. klymr macrumors 65816

Once again, shecky has got me looking at spending all my money that I don't have. Those safety razors look awesome! If I wasn't cursed with not being able to grow facial hair I might reconsider the way I shave. However, a simple Mach 3 and Edge shave cream (the stuff in a tube, non-foaming) have treated me just fine (for the most part).

I always shower first, and while in the shower I use a face wash to not only clean my face, but to help soften the hair. Then I get out and dry myself off and immediately apply the cream, letting it sit for a few minutes before shaving. I can for sure tell when the blade is getting old. Last time I bought new blades was probably close to a year ago, and I bought an 8 pack of blades. That goes to show how little hair I grow. I still like the idea of the safety razor though. I'm sure they are nice!

9. shecky Guest

shecky

i should go on record and say i don't yet use any of the stuff in the links i provided :) though i do think i am going to get a cheapish brush and a tin of face lather soon.

i have eastern european facial hair: dark, uneven and on pale skin. fortunately for me i also own my own business so i dont have to shave for nobody! (except the first few classes of each new semester when teaching.)

having said that i shave 3 times a week or so. and i use a Mach 3 and aveno sensitive skin gel. i do it in the shower, when i condition my hair i also rub some on my face, let it sit while i wash, then rinse off, and vigorously rub the shaving gel into my face, shave, rinse. my lady tells me its just fine but i don't know, it never feels like a great shave, more like a "good enough" shave.

10. klymr macrumors 65816

I'm still stuck looking at razors and shaving. Curses! I should be reading my typography book and getting my grid layout assignment done. Blah!

11. iMacBook macrumors 6502a

iMacBook

I just use a normal shaver.

After I finish shaving, I dab my fingers in water and feel on my face any stubble. If I find some, I just go over it with my shaver.

12. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

wouldn't a single blade like at the barber shop be best?

13. klymr macrumors 65816

That's part of what the wet shaving that shecky posted is about. There are different ways to wet shave. I personally would use a safety razor. I really like this razor, and I'm seriously thinking about getting it. The razor itself is about $25, and the blades are under $3 for 5 of them. That sure beats the money I'm paying for Mach 3 refills.

[​IMG]

14. dsl4c macrumors member

I use my sensor excel, and keep a trimmed beard.. however; a few hours later i'm always getting a 5 o'clock shadow.. I chalk it up to being a macho kinda guy..

15. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

16. klymr macrumors 65816

17. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

I too have just spent quite a time reading up on wet shaving! :D

Does anyone know of a good online store in the UK that has this kind of stuff?

18. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

There is this place which is pretty local to me. I was thinking about taking a trip down there tomorrow/early friday, but you can order online. Or here, or here

Did anyone find themselves watching videos on youtube and reading shavemyface

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

20. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

After a hot shower is the best time. No irritation, and skin stays smooth.

21. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

I must be lucky, because I don't get any issues with shaving.

After I get out the shower, I use whatever shaving gel I happened to buy last (currently Gillette Fusion) and a Mach 3 Power razor. I seriously cannot imagine getting a closer shave than I currently do, no matter how much I spent. It's as if there was never any hair there.

22. Keebler macrumors 68030

i think it also depends on your genetic makeup.

some guys shave and 10 minutes later, have that 5 o'clock shadow. just the way it is. other guys have that severe juvenile skin where they don't need to shave for weeks.

i never get a perfectly smooth shave, but good enough for the 7 months a year when i don't have a beard. i f'n hate shaving. royal pain in the a$$ imho :)
    I hate trimming the beard too. i literally let it rock n' roll for 5 months :)

now, there was this razor that i had to use before my vasectomy... reminds me i need to call and get a few of those again :)

23. jaydub macrumors 6502a

jaydub

I second this. I've been using the Art of Shaving supplies for about two years now, and I'm very pleased with them.

24. c073186 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for all of the replies. To answer an early question, yes, I do wet my face before shaving.

As I read through some of this stuff I decided I should give these double-edge safety razors a try. But I am wondering: which ones are worth the price? I mean, is there any difference between these two, priced at $24 and $50 (and these were on the cheap side)?

http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/item/522941/5416107.htm

http://www.theartofshaving.com/taos6/product.php?product=67003&group=11

I am willing to give this a shot but I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on shaving unless it is going to yield perfect results. (Edit: Actually I don't think I'd want to spend hundreds no matter the results, but I can justify $20-50 if it will make a difference).