How do you kids make money?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mrat93, Feb 15, 2008.

1. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

I'm sure there are a wide range of minors on here, a lot of them with all sorts of gadgets and Mac stuff. But how do you afford all of that? I'll start...

I'm 15. I'm a Wii reseller and I'm beginning to sell US iTunes gift cards overseas, what about you?

2. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

i make websites for people, and sell on ebay.
    i bought my blackbook with my parents buying half (mainly because of good grades), but i bought my ipod and other gadgets with my own money.:rolleyes:

EDIT: and i am 15.

3. Schnebar macrumors 6502

I am 18 and have never had a real job yet. I can get paid like $20 an hour to go help old people with their computers but that only happens like once or twice a month. My parents give me an allowance for food and some spending money and I usually get my mac stuff for birthdays and christmas.

They would rather me try hard in school and get through all of my AP classes so I can make a lot of money later in life then working minimum wage now in a job where it is just busy work.

4. TatsuTerror macrumors regular

I'm 16.

I have an allowance of 60 a month for spending and I choose to save almost all of it for more expensive gadgets. I sometimes sell my photos as well, that can put me up a few hundred every once and a while.

I also need a good computer for graphic design and photography classes I take. My parents usually help me out when buying a new computer (Macbook Pro in this case) which I need, and I pay for accessories (case, mouse, keyboard, Airport Express, display, speakers, extra RAM, etc.) that I want but aren't necessary. I put all my money into cameras and computers, I don't buy fancy clothes, go to a lot of movies, eat out with friends a lot...I choose to spend my money elsewhere, like many others here on MacRumors.

5. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

I install custom firmwares on PSPs and unlock Nokias and Sony Ericssons!

I also do iPhones and iPod touches too!

Plus, I make normal N73s in to Music Edition ones... All for £5 each.

Oh yeah, and I sent a free Java app to someone a few days ago for 50p

Also, I get £25 in the bank every month from my mum and dad and I get money for Christmas, my birthday and for good grades.

Im 13, BTW.

6. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

I am 17. I currently work 2 jobs as a Barista and a Bookseller. I used to do tech stuff for cash until I got tired of petty cash for IT level paying jobs.

7. -kritter- macrumors regular

-kritter-

I am 17, bought everything in my sig by myself...I have a job that pays anywhere from 10-16 dollars an hour depending on how good the gratuity is, ill be working close to 25 hours a week come summer...

8. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Hehe, amazing stuff people.

Glad to see you all starting early.

I'm almost 20, and have a full time job, but I used to do Windows installs for £20 a pop (Still do, in fact) and computer upgrades, builds and things like that.

Hurrah for technophobes.

9. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

So you put a disk in a computer, waited, typed a few numbers in, and got £20 for it!!! Now thats what I call FREE MONEY!!!

10. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

It certainly is. I did used to goto peoples houses and do reinstalls, so I had to put fuel in the car. But I got free tea as well, so I couldn't loose. :D

11. 119576 Guest

YOU BOUGHT MYSPACE ON $10/HOUR? :eek:

You must have been working for a long time.

When I was a kid, I just leeched off my parents. :rolleyes:

12. doubleohseven macrumors 6502a

doubleohseven

I started to save up money for my MacBook when I was 13 and a half by selling things on ebay. It took me about 6 months to save up. I also got money from my parents by doing chores and getting good grades. My iPod was a birthday present, though.
    In a few years time, I would love to get a part-time job at a local Apple reseller.

13. MLeepson macrumors 6502

I'm 14.
    I usually get paid for doing stuff around the house i.e. raking the leaves.
    I'm planning on getting a "job" this summer, also.
    I also get paid for doing occasional work for my uncle.
    I' saving up to get a MacBook Air, which I'll only pay 1/3 of. ($600) I currently have a PowerBook G4, which I "inherited". Most of my Mac stuff is stuff that I paid 50 cents for or unused products from family.

14. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I am a book seller, making (almost) minimum wage, but it gives me walking around money, and the work's pretty easy. I just turned 20, but given my full time student status, I figured I'd post.

15. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

Trading on the stock markets :) (Though at the moment, this is both risky and foolish).

16. Galapp macrumors regular

I am pretty much screwed at this point... I lived in israel where I had a great job, than I moved here to brazil discovering that no one hires people under 18 :|
    now I have only the money that my parents give me which is now 0 for a while since I bough my Macbook Pro <_<"

pretty much screwed :S

17. xodonniedarko macrumors 6502

xodonniedarko

I got a job when I was 15 because my mom said I couldn't get a cellphone til I payed my own bill. I got a job at an Ice Cream parlor where I started off at $5.25

Since then I've gotten two raises and a promotion (and I'm about to get another promotion and another pay raise).

I'm 17 now and I still work there :)
    I work 14-20 hours a week and make $7 an hour.
    But I'm saving all my money because I'm going to Honduras this summer :(

18. Bariwasmypart macrumors newbie

Bariwasmypart

i work at a local grocery chain been working there for a year
    could have had enough money for a macbook pro by now :rolleyes: but i bought a 1500 dollar saxaphone that set me back a bit but i work about ten hours a week and get paid 7.50 an hour and am expecting a 25 to 50 cent raise this march

19. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Yesterday was my 14th! w00t! :D

Anyway, I get an allowance of $20 a month from my parents for not doing anything really, REALLY stupid. I also get paid around $15 per column writing for Low End Mac. </shameless plug>

I get paid $2 a day for dogsitting. Also, I sell and trade tons of stuff on Craigslist to get better and better computers. Because of constant trading up, I went from an 867MHz Power Mac G4 that I got for $25 to my current 2GHz dual-core ThinkPad, which shall probably be traded for a Macbook.

My iPod touch, though, I got for Christmas, and the iPod before that, I got for my bar mitzvah.

EDIT: Oh, and I got a Motorola W315 as my first phone yesterday. Woohoo!

20. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I am 18 and work at my local Chevy/Hummer/Lotus dealership as a lot attendant after school.

21. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

sell on ebay?

22. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

"Is.......is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a kid?"

23. cosmokanga2 macrumors 6502a

cosmokanga2

I work at my the campground and B&B that my family runs. I am able to make anywhere from $10-$50 a week depending on the amount of work. In the summer though I have a 6-8 hour per day job here. Makes great money, especially when you work for your parents at $10 an hour. :)

I don't get an allowance so this is my only "income" besides christmas and birthday money, which isn't usually allot. I am currently saving up for my first Mac which is going to hopefully be a MBP. After summer I should have enough to buy one, fingers crossed.

BTW I''m 15.

24. MikeTheC Guest

MikeTheC

Gallifrey -- Capitol City, Prydonian Sector
    I remember chopping trees in the Sahara forrest for a living when I was a kid.

25. Highcroft macrumors regular

I have a summer job detasseling corn and usually make $50 a day, but my parents usually buy me most of my stuff for getting good grades or for my birthday and christmas.