Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Schnebar

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2006
California
Blah blah, how many times I've heard that story. Get a job, you're an adult.

Yeah, I know it is not that good of an excuse but the truth is that I rarely ever spend my money.

Even when I do little IT help jobs I just take the money home and then put it in the bank.

If I needed to have a lot more spending money then I might get a regular job. But I do not think an 18 year old will be able to easily get an over $10 an hour job. It seems like a waste of my time if I am doing busy work. I am going to college next year in Mechanical Engineering and when I get a job out of college, I will actually be incorporating information I have learned in my job.

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
I am 16 and I have a job at the local hockey rink, and I have since I was 10. I run the scoreboard and fill out the game sheets, it is a real easy job if you know what you are doing, I make $12 a game ($15 over the summer), and do between 4-8 games a weekend. It might be a freezing job, but it is fun. I have bought just about everything electronic that I own. And I'll start refereeing in 2 weeks once I get my license, more games for more money.

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
I've worked at CVS since i turned 16 about 2.5 years ago. My checks aren't that huge because i only work fridays and sundays but my wage is now up to $8.16/hr and i average about $95 net. That money gets put almost completely to college savings unless i need to buy some stuff or gifts for people which is really just around holiday time. My parents (mostly father) pay for many of my things like clothes but I like to pay for the entertainment things like music or games, especially more expensive electronics like iPods/video game consoles...

I also make a fair amount of money on investments. I buy Certificate of Deposits (CDs) to make some interest on the money i wasn't using when i have a sizeable amount and/or a CD's term is coming due i'll add whatever extra i have saved since that point for a new CD.

Shannighan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2007
Buffalo, NY
i work at Target and work about 7- 25 hours a week. not bad money. i have also done some flash work for people and made a decent amount of money. i have also done some odd jobs for the company my mom works for and made pretty good money there as well.

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
im a full time student during the school year, but when summer comes i work for a local golf shop and i put in 40-45 hours a week for three good months. that's where and when i get my spending money and the money i usually save. Im 19.

creator2456

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago

My MBP was paid for initially by my parents, but I have paid them back so I can call it my own. I am a full-time student (about 45 hours in commuting to/from class and class, and another 15-20 in homework/projects on top of that) working at UPS part-time, about 15 hours/week this time of year. Make $10/hour currently but should be getting a raise soon if I don't get promoted to a part-time supervisor in the next couple weeks. Also make some money selling things I no longer need/use...i.e. in my signiture :wink:

Most of my tech stuff I buy on my own, but the bigger purchases like the MBP are through a parent "credit card".

Oh...to whoever said that they don't think an 18yr old can get a $10/hour job, look around. I worked at a mail order pharmacy during high school for 2 years and started at $10. By the time I left I was making $11.75. Not too shabby if I may say so myself.

neoserver

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2003
I've purchased just about everything electronic that I own. Which is quite fair since my parents are paying for my university education. This includes my 24" iMac, my macbook, my Canon XT SLR, and all of my lenses. And of course the usual accessories like a printer, external drives, iPods.

I'm 18 and I've been working part time (full time during the summers, save for a week of camping) since 2005 at a local academic institution maintaining a small computer lab for a department. I started out at $7/hour, just monitoring the access, and now am at $16.25/hr as a "Tech Assistant."

Jade Cambell

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2007
I'm 17. I work about 14 hours a week ($10 an hour) for a business within my family, so I can do that work at home.

I also earn $25 an hour going to people's houses helping them with their Macs, and I get between $200 and $500 a month doing that usually.

And then of course there's random sources of income. Like, a few days ago a friend of mine dropped off a giant list of Talent Buyers that she needs typed up for a friend of hers, and she's giving me $200 to type it all up. It looks like it might take more than 20 hours.. but whatever.

However, my current machine (Mac Pro Quad 3.0Ghz) wasn't paid for by me. It's my dad's computer, and as soon as I buy a new one a few years down the line, I don't get any profit from selling this one.

madoka

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Blah blah, how many times I've heard that story. Get a job, you're an adult.

No, Schnebar is right. You should study instead of chasing after minimum wage jobs which is myopic. I know a bunch of my friends in high school started working at theaters and fast food places. After a while, their goals in life became wanting to become managers instead of going to college.

Samarium

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2008
@ home.
I got a job when I was 15 because my mom said I couldn't get a cellphone til I payed my own bill. I got a job at an Ice Cream parlor where I started off at $5.25

Since then I've gotten two raises and a promotion (and I'm about to get another promotion and another pay raise).

I'm 17 now and I still work there :)
I work 14-20 hours a week and make $7 an hour.
But I'm saving all my money because I'm going to Honduras this summer :(

Why you going to Honduras? Sun Jam Electronic Festival?

Jade Cambell

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2007
No, Schnebar is right. You should study instead of chasing after minimum wage jobs which is myopic. I know a bunch of my friends in high school started working at theaters and fast food places. After a while, their goals in life became wanting to become managers instead of going to college.

Well, that's what the greedy bastards who own America want to happen. The more teens get caught up in dead end jobs, the more they can stay in control of everything and everybody.

klymr

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2007
Utah
Can I post in here even though I'm 25?

After reading how much some of you young guys are making, I realize how much I'm getting my employers foot up my... nevermind. I do custom jewelry design and out of saving myself the embarrassment, I won't post how much I make. It's pretty damn sad really. My pay structure should be changing at work soon. If it doesn't, I'm leaving.

Kudos to all you younger guys!

iDAG

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2007
Athens, Ohio
I am 16 and I do not have a job. I get $15 a week from what my parents give me. I saved for years to get my MacBook and my parents still had to pay for part of it. Every iPod I have had (4) have all been gifts I've gotten. It is currently hard for me to get a job because of the sports that I am in are very time demanding. I am going to look for one this summer because with gas, girlfriend, and just the need for money is forcing me to get one.

Coolnat2004

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
I'm 18, and I have a part-time job at a local grocery store.. I don't work a lot, but just enough to pay for my auto expenses, and some "fun" expenses. I also save a lot of money (or I am trying to..) in an ING Direct savings account.

Aside from that, I do some web development for local/national/etc companies on a contractual basis. That's how I paid for my PowerBook before I had a "real" job.

I've never received an allowance, which I previously complained about, but now I complain the fact that other people had received allowances.

Hopefully college will be free for me (or close to it!) so I can save money for other things.

harrisone23

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2007
I sell stuff for people on eBay for a %25 commission. I help people with their macs,PCs and iPods. I also babysit for people who pay alot! Im getting a new MBP when it comes out and a Nikon d40x. By then ill be able to start making montages for people ( I can charge like $700-$1500 per Montage). With that money, Im probally going to buy a 2G MacBook Air.

ItTakesII

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2008
Miami, FL
Wow all of you that get an allowance from your parents are lucky :D I don't even get paid for doing chores, lol In fact, I just finished painting an additon to the house my Dad made and I didn't get any money out of it XD

I sell chocolates at school for $1 ea. I buy a box of 30 bars at BJ's Wholesale for about $11. So I make like $19 of profit per box. It really doesn't add up very quicly though since my parents expect me to pay when I go to see a movie and stuff now that I have money. I did however save up $380 recently to buy a Wii Bundle (Wii console, 2x Wii remotes, 2x nunchucks, a game). So after that I decided to save for a Macbook which is what I am currently doing. I only have like $180 right now hehe. I need $880 more to buy a Macbook with the student discount.

I also get a little bit of money from paid to click sites.

lol Wow there is more than I thought. Anyway, if you want to know how to use them or something along those lines just PM me. These websites will probably be better for you guys who are online a lot :D

tracetritt

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2007
Northwestern Wisconsin, USA
Wow, I'm 16 and I'm starting to feel jipped. I get perfect grades and from my parents all I get is a good job son. lol. Oh well. I work as a PC/Mac tech at a local computer shop. I also design VoIP systems. :D

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
I get $5 a week for allowance, and that's pretty much it. I could get a job, but my grades are already suffering pretty badly as a result of the insomnia I currently have, so I don't need anything else to worry about.

15, BTW

ErikCLDR

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2007
I work at my school in the summer connecting computers. It's really boring but I get paid like $12.00/hr so its not that bad.

I might get a job at a local pharmacy instead or in addition.

Jade Cambell

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2007
Steven Spielberg makes about $2.50 per second. Every second, of every hour, of every day, no matter what he's doing.

iTeen

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2007
Washington
Steven Spielberg makes about $2.50 per second. Every second, of every hour, of every day, no matter what he's doing.
damn him.:eek:

I get $5 a week for allowance, and that's pretty much it. I could get a job, but my grades are already suffering pretty badly as a result of the insomnia I currently have, so I don't need anything else to worry about.

15, BTW
really sorry to hear that Cassie!! my friend suffers from insomnia and i know how difficult it is to deal with:eek:.

jake

Jade Cambell

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2007
What?

What's your point?

I wasn't implying that Steven Spielberg is one of the greedy bastards. Those were two different points. The first point, about the greedy bastards, was simply to point out why there are so many teenagers in dead end jobs.

I mentioned Spielberg's income simply to put your income and everyone else's income in perspective. Hopefully the general reaction won't be "Damn him!" but "good for him! I'll be there someday."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.