Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How Do You Setup Your Homescreen?

• Total voters

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I really don't know why Apple doesn't allow you to have 5 icons per row if you wanted to. What's the harm in that???

They really have to loosen the reins...
That and let you put icons where you want them. Not this stupid top left origin, left shifting garbage.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
That and let you put icons where you want them. Not this stupid top left origin, left shifting garbage.

...Baby steps. /* heh heh heh /

I can't even image the Plus screens and being limited to 4 icons/row...it's madness.

And it would be so trivially easy for Apple to do...not to mention, an easy way to up the user satisfaction with iOS.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
I totally agree; think of the iPads and all that ridiculously wasted real estate.

Don't get me started on the ails with iOS and the iPad... :D

If Apple wants to dawdle along with enhancing iOS for the larger screen, then I'll continue to make do with my iPad2 until they do.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I really don't know why Apple doesn't allow you to have 5 icons per row if you wanted to. What's the harm in that???

They really have to loosen the reins...
Right. Especially with the plus models. So much wasted screen real estate.

Digger148

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2010
I don't use my phone much these days, so, I only have 13 apps on top of the stock apps. Most used apps on the home page. I like a clean home page while everything else is sorted into 6 folders on screen 2. IMG_1194.PNG

s2mike

macrumors 68020
Sep 14, 2015
One screen with only my most-used apps. The other few apps are in the "misc." folder.

Not jailbroken, but used one of those sites that creates dummy "blank" bookmarks to get everything within an easier reach.

Really wish Apple would let us arrange icons the way we'd like, but this is a semi-decent workaround for now.

IMG_0567.PNG

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
One screen with only my most-used apps. The other few apps are in the "misc." folder.

Not jailbroken, but used one of those sites that creates dummy "blank" bookmarks to get everything within an easier reach.

Really wish Apple would let us arrange icons the way we'd like, but this is a semi-decent workaround for now.

View attachment 690220
What is that site? I'm jailbroken but I need to use it for something

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
I'm lazy. I used to arrange them by use. Now I just mostly put them whenever they land or in a spot to be easily found if I struggle with where they landed.

To me there isn't much customization if it isn't jailbroken so I don't really bother with it much.

Just my feelings on it.

Reactions: Digger148

AintDutchNotMuch

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2015
The Netherlands
I have the same setup for years actually, no matter if I use Android or iOS. Guess I don't really like change that much haha. Some apps like Google Maps are in a map called Multimedia where I keep my music and video streaming apps, and Microsoft OneDrive is in the Apple Map. I know it doesn't make any sense at all but to me it does and that way I don't have to create too many folders or have too many apps on my home screen. I just have one home screen by the way.

IMG_0296.PNG
View attachment 690225

Last edited:

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
I predominantly put my most used apps on the first page with overflow on the second page and everything that won't fit on the second page in a few folders, but I only put apps with icons that look nice and blend in. Because of that, I have several apps on the second page that I use more than some apps on the main page. I also have a few apps on the first page that I rarely use, but they've been in the same spot for years, so I just leave them there for familiarity.

New apps always get put into a folder and then replace a lesser used app outside of the folder if and when I realize I'm using it a lot.

IMG_0595.PNG

IMG_0596.PNG

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Stock ones on the first page, the rest in no particular order (order of download, I don't move them around) and no folders whatsoever.

Reactions: twinlight

Howl's Castle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2016
Anyone else want to share pictures of their home screen? I seeing how people sort!

foxconn

Suspended
Sep 6, 2016
...Baby steps. /* heh heh heh /

I can't even image the Plus screens and being limited to 4 icons/row...it's madness.

And it would be so trivially easy for Apple to do...not to mention, an easy way to up the user satisfaction with iOS.

how often do you stare at your home screen that this bothers you? normally people are using the apps and not crying over how many apps are in a row. only on macrumors o_O:rolleyes:

Reactions: Ladyc0524
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.