How is it possible there is still no CarPlay forum?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by miamialley, Mar 22, 2016.

1. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

2. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

Who knows?

I just got mine this week. I like it.

3. dmk1974 macrumors 68000

dmk1974

I was searching for the same thing! Moderators: Please add. Thanks!

4. eyeseeyou macrumors 68000

Yup I was looking a few months ago myself experimenting with mounting a iPad mini instead of shelling out $400+ for an aftermarket car deck.

Didn't get any feedback.

5. mildocjr macrumors 65816

Yeah I was forced into buying a new car a year before CarPlay came to the manufacturer, I'm a little bummed and I'm stuck with Microsoft Stync (yes that's spelled right), but it gives me something to look forward to with my next vehicle.

6. miamialley, Mar 26, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2016

miamialley thread starter macrumors 68030

miamialley

I delayed buying a car until something I like had CP. The Chevy Volt was perfect!

I've wanted to come on a few times and discuss CP, but there's no forum. Get with it already MR Helllooooo?

7. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Over the course of 4 full days, there have been exactly 5 people post in this thread wanting a CarPlay forum. I think that speaks to the need for a separate forum for CarPlay at this time. Just my opinion.

8. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I think the bigger question is: how many CarPlay threads have been created lately? Is the volume enough to warrant a separate forum?

9. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

iOS 9 seems to be the best fit for a CarPlay thread until more people are talking about it.

10. dmk1974 macrumors 68000

dmk1974

The problem is the CarPlay threads are spread amongst a number of different forums. Better to consolidate and place under one of them.

11. miamialley thread starter macrumors 68030

miamialley

CP is a brand new Apple product in its infancy only now beginning to hit the market. Suggesting we need to see how many threads have been created before it gets a forum is ridiculous. Oh Apple Watch? Well, let's wait and see if people create threads about it first.

It would be nice to have a place to discuss CP in general, but also apps which are CP compatible.

MR will eventually have a CP forum and I'll say told ya so.

12. C DM macrumors Westmere

Seems like the question is not so much of if there will be one but when it makes sense to set up and manage one.

13. mildocjr macrumors 65816

I wish I could have but someone smashed into my S10 (while it was parked) and totaled it.

14. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Admittedly, it's a subjective decision, and one that the admins, not the moderators, get to make, but they need to balance forum interest with forum bloat. If there aren't enough threads created on the topic, it's hard to justify the need for a separate subforum. They also need to take into account how different the new product is. That was the case with Apple Watch. It isn't though with the iPad Pro, for example, which doesn't have its own subforum.

15. miamialley thread starter macrumors 68030

miamialley

I know I have stopped short of putting up a CP question/post a few times because there was no place for it. Safe to assume I'm not alone there. You guys are really overthinking this.

16. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Compared to competitive and far more capable vehicle telematics systems, Apple's entry doesn't warrant it's own forum presently.

I have confidence in the judgement and experience of the MacRumors staff.

17. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

As CarPlay only works with iOS devices you can post your questions in the iOS 9 forum.

18. miamialley thread starter macrumors 68030

miamialley

That's stupid. I see CarPlay has it's own "round up" page in MR. I guess you guys should just put it under the iOS round up instead, huh?

Attached Files:

19. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

At the moment it's the most suitable place to post them.

20. miamialley thread starter macrumors 68030

miamialley

Lol, and we've come full circle. Hey, I've got an idea for a more "suitable place" where they can be posted!

21. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Look, instead of posting sarcastic remarks why don't you provide some evidence to support your claims that CarPlay needs a new forum.

I've searched for CarPlay related threads and found that only 10 new threads have been posted by forum members since the 1st January (not including your 2 feedback threads). Those 10 threads have only attracted 34 replies over the last 3 months.

In my opinion, such low traffic is not enough to justify it's own forum.

22. bobob macrumors 68030

bobob

I'm with the OP - - MR's forum needs to take a leadership role in supporting discussion of Apple's latest OS.

[​IMG]

23. sjjones macrumors newbie

I am with the OP. While I don't have anything specific to post on CarPlay right now, I wanted to find a forum to review for ideas on how to use the service best. And I ended up here. :(

24. bobob macrumors 68030

bobob

It's hard to believe that an Apple-centric forum like MacRumors still doesn't have a dedicated sub-forum to discuss CarPlay. :confused:

It is becoming one of Apple's key operating systems (behind OSX & iOS but ahead of tvOS & watchOS) and is gaining in importance every year.

25. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I find that hard to believe so is it just your opinion or do you have evidence to back that statement?

CarPlay is not heavily publicised on Apple's web site and is only listed as an iOS 9 feature. The Apple Watch and Apple TV have a big presence on the website suggesting Apple consider them to be more important.