Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Isn't this like the chicken and the egg scenario? Perhaps there aren't many posts, because there is no forum to post them in.
The same logic was used for the HomeKit forum's creation and so far that forum appears very quiet, so much so this prompted this post:
Hate to bump this old topic but feel like I owe you guys an apology, Apple has fallen so far behind on home automation with Homekit that we don't have a lot to talk about. Feels like we pushed you into it expecting Apple to hold up on their end of things. Still, nice to see a little traffic in there anyway.

While I can understand the idea of, "if you create it, they will post to it" but at the moment there's not a lot of existing discussion occurring

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
The same logic was used for the HomeKit forum's creation and so far that forum appears very quiet, so much so this prompted this post:

While I can understand the idea of, "if you create it, they will post to it" but at the moment there's not a lot of existing discussion occurring
IMO if Apple hadn't fallen so far behind in this area that forum could be booming, there's a lot of home automation discussion out there otherwise. In any case, we made the plea with you guys and you were all more than fair with us, so it's appreciated either way.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
IMO if Apple hadn't fallen so far behind in this area that forum could be booming
I wasn't trying to throw you under the bus, but just to point out that the idea of creating a forum is needed to generate lots of discussions. I understand the philosophy behind it, but given the extremely vertical nature of carplay, there's less to talk about that topic then Home Automation and the current state of Home Automation is such that its not as busy as some folks thought it would be.

Reactions: ericgtr12

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
I wasn't trying to throw you under the bus, but just to point out that the idea of creating a forum is needed to generate lots of discussions. I understand the philosophy behind it, but given the extremely vertical nature of carplay, there's less to talk about that topic then Home Automation and the current state of Home Automation is such that its not as busy as some folks thought it would be.
Understood, I didn't really take it that way :) I just feel bad that those of us in support of it really put forth a case for it when you guys had a more pragmatic approach of being hesitant, as it turns out for good reason.

Reactions: OllyW

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
I realize I am a guest here and that I don't have to do any work to maintain the board, but I have a question:

- If a forum doesn't generate much traffic, how does it generate much moderator workload?

In regards to "forum bloat", as I wrote earlier:

I agree with you about the issue of forum bloat. Every time I go to the MacRumors' forum home page, I scroll down and down and down looking for the relevant sub-forum matching my current interest.

However, I believe the cause of this bloat is an overly nostalgic retention of sub-forums related to products long past their prime. Prime space is granted to such forum categories as:

- iPod
- Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices
- PowerPC Macs
- Console Games
- Distributed Computing

I'm not suggesting that these topics should be dispensed with, or that they do not have their fans here at MacRumors, but rather that they are focused on peripheral or past aspects of Apple consumers' interest, and therefore might be more deeply nested to keep the main forum list cleaner.

CarPlay is a forward looking Apple technology in which forum members' interest will only continue to grow as their own personal cars adopt this technology.​

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
Should we treat this thread as the CarPlay forum in the absence of a real one? Here's the discussion I want to start...

No, Site and Forum Feedback isn't a good place for discussions that don't have to do with the site itself.

It's not really true that a dedicated section would create discussion; it's the other way around. Forum sections are created when there's enough discussion to warrant it.

I realize I am a guest here and that I don't have to do any work to maintain the board, but I have a question:

- If a forum doesn't generate much traffic, how does it generate much moderator workload?​

The extra work involved isn't the biggest issue, but it's a fair question. The work is two fold. The first part is the purely technical preparation part. Creating a new forum doesn't take time, but in some cases (not this one) many threads need to be looked through and moved.

The other - and ongoing - aspect is moderation. It's not so much a matter of rule violations, it's a matter of administration. The more sub-sections we have, the greater the chance that threads get created in/reported for being in the wrong forum, or that moderators simply notice that they're in the wrong forum and move them without being asked. The point of separate sections is diluted if threads aren't created in or moved to the correct section. On the one hand having dedicated sections for specific subjects provides users with a good structure for finding what they're after. On the other hand, not all threads fall neatly into one section, so the more choices there are, the greater the chance that related subjects will be spread across sections. So: too many subsections can result in less structure within the sections.

The (often but not always minimal) work involved isn't a problem when we see that a change should be made.

Summary:

We're not opposed to a separate CarPlay section in principle, but at the moment there's not enough discussion to warrant it. Forum structure is something we balance between a need for some level of stability, a need to keep pace with Apple's offerings, and a need to adapt to what users actually discuss. They're all important.

We CAN promise that we're not ignoring this suggestion; anytime something like this comes up, it sparks a discussion and reevaluation behind the scenes. These discussions sometimes continue long after the user discussion in SFF dies down.

Sometimes suggestions aren't acted on immediately because the time isn't right, but they do influence changes down the line. Regardless, all suggestions are useful because they make sure we continually reevaluate things.

We'll continue to watch this issue as well as all other areas where forums need to be added or combined. It's an ongoing thing, and we do appreciate the input!

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Throwing out an idea here that's been discussed behind the scenes, so I'm interested to hear what members think about possibly turning the home automation forum into a "Home and Auto" forum that would cover HomeKit, general home automation, CarPlay, etc.

On the surface, they're different topics, but if you view it from a perspective of both being extensions of iOS, an argument could be made for it. Combining them avoids more forum bloat while still giving a dedicated place for these discussions. It would generate more activity than the existing quiet home automation forum, yet should still be low enough that it would be pretty easy to find threads on your topic of interest in there.

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
Throwing out an idea here that's been discussed behind the scenes, so I'm interested to hear what members think about possibly turning the home automation forum into a "Home and Auto" forum that would cover HomeKit, general home automation, CarPlay, etc.

On the surface, they're different topics, but if you view it from a perspective of both being extensions of iOS, an argument could be made for it. Combining them avoids more forum bloat while still giving a dedicated place for these discussions. It would generate more activity than the existing quiet home automation forum, yet should still be low enough that it would be pretty easy to find threads on your topic of interest in there.

I think this is an acceptable option.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
Agreed, this is an option that provides a location to discuss such things and it kind of fits in sort of a "home and Auto" type of mentality.

I think so too - it's a good balance where two not-unrelated areas are combined in a way that doesn't create bloat. We're still interested in user opinions here. :)

Reactions: maflynn

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

I like the idea. Maybe "Home and Auto, HomeKit, Home Automation, and CarPlay" to make it more clear? From the long Apple Music... title it looks like that could be made to wrap down to a second line and fit.

Or maybe "Home and Auto (HomeKit/Home Automation/CarPlay)".

Screen Shot 2016-08-28 at 7.01.50 AM.png

Reactions: OllyW and annk

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
I think so too - it's a good balance where two not-unrelated areas are combined in a way that doesn't create bloat. We're still interested in user opinions here. :)

Its better than what we have now... which is no mention of CarPlay in any of the forums leading to people discussing it all over the place in the iPhone and iOS forums. So I would vote for Home and Car over what we have today. Of course if you do that you might get some complaints from the Homekit folks since the two literally have nothing to do with each other; but CarPlay seriously needs a place to be the home base on here and today it has none.

Reactions: miamialley

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
The previous "Home and Home Automation" forum is now "HomeKit, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology." We've added [Home] and [Auto] prefixes as well to help people quickly spot threads on their topics of interest, and we'll move some existing CarPlay threads in there.

https://forums.macrumors.com/forums/homekit-carplay-home-auto-technology.193/

Awesome! And the refugees now have a place to call home.... hopefully a war doesn't break out between HomeKit and CarPlay over real estate. :cool:

Reactions: bobob
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.