How is Mac OS X 10.7 Lion ..?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by asifnaz, Jan 23, 2012.

1. asifnaz macrumors member

I am one of those people who are still running snow leopard . I have come across some negative reviews about 10.7 .

SL is working great for me so far and I don't want new learning curve and bugs with the upgrade .

It has no support for rossetta as well . I don't like IOSish features of Lion .

should I upgrade..?

any suggestions

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

No - according to what you said.

3. asifnaz thread starter macrumors member

What if supports end for snow leopard ..? People are saying SL best Mac os X eve,r is that true ..? Are those bugs fixed now..?

4. Orion27 macrumors member

If you depend on legacy software, are unwilling to create a bootable backup of your existing Snow Leopard Volume and unwilling to invest in and learn the new Lion paradigm with all it's improvements, then I would say No, stick with Snow Leopard.

5. Martyimac macrumors 6502a

Martyimac

I agree with Orion.

6. Simplicated macrumors 65816

Simplicated

Even after the support ending, Snow Leopard will still work. Stick with Snow Leopard and see how 10.8 will do.

7. iMikeT macrumors 68020

In all honesty, 10.7 Lion is a solid operating system. It does have some shortcomings in some areas, like anything else. However, Lion should not be considered as nonfunctional.

---

Agreed.

8. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

There have been negative reviews about every OS X release.

If it works great for you , don't upgrade. I've upgraded to Tiger, Leopard, Snow Leopard, and now Lion and had bugs in each, with Leopard giving me the most problems.

If you need Rosetta this is a deal breaker. If you aren't using Rosetta, it doesn't matter.

Lauchpad is the most IOSish feature, and you don't have to use it. The new features that are most likely to affect how you work (resume, autosave, file locking, versions, local time machine in portables, full screen operation, cut/paste in Finder) I've found to be fantastic after I've understood what they are trying to accomplish. The worst thing about them now is that they are inconsistently implemented (not in Microsoft Office, for instance).

Sounds like the answer for you is "no." FWIW, I've got 7 Macs and have upgraded 4 of the 7. The remaining three systems are two minis used to run Plex and a third mini with Snow Leopard Server which runs as a server. There was no advantage to upgrading these.

9. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

Go through the list of features. After that, if you're interested, upgrade, if not, don't. Personally, I wouldn't want to go back to Snow Leopard now (although I still have it running on my Macbook Core Duo used as an iTunes server).

10. tblrsa macrumors regular

I for myself would not go back to Snow Leopard. If you are dependent on Rosetta Software, "Lion" is not for you, sure. But there is no other major reason not to upgrade in my book.

I personally enjoy most of Lions new features, such as iCloud, AutoSave, Versions, Restore Windows on StartUp, FileVault 2 and Sandboxing, so the update was a no brainer for me.

11. robgendreau macrumors 68030

You can do both.

Do a clone of your SL installation so you can boot from it on another drive or whatever.

And then upgrade the other volume to Lion and run it.

Switch back and forth like you would with a bootcamp installation.

That way you can use the new features you might like (not many new things though) and preserve your heritage stuff, and be able to start moving it to a newer system.

The downside of staying with an old system is that 1. you will have to upgrade someday, and 2. the longer you wait the harder it is to do.

Rob

12. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

Or just buy a cheap firewire drive and install Lion on that. Then you can keep both Leopard and Lion, and use whichever you prefer. At ~$110 a terabyte, the worst that'll happen is you'll finally have enough drive space to do a proper backup of all your stuff.

13. WSR macrumors regular

If you use Spaces/Expose in SL, make sure your research Mission Control to see if it does what you want. Some like MC and some don't. For me Spaces/Expose in SL is better than MC, and that is why I haven't changed to Lion.

14. daneoni, Jan 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2012

daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Just did the upgrade myself a few hours ago. Mission Control is a downgrade from Expose/Spaces IMHO, Its still not quite as fast as Snow Leopard in some cases but its not exactly slow overall either. Multi-Display support is still wonky compared to SL, Launchpad is useless since its changes aren't reflected in Finder. Inverted scrolling is retarded on a desktop. GPU drivers still need work.

But it has that newness to it (UI tweaks), gestures are nice, it is quite zippy (Safari is blazing), there are some nifty features, it is 64-bit through and through, handles Flash/H.264 video better, and iCloud is neat.

I still have my SL backup just incase but Lion hasn't been disastrous thus far and i'm somewhat liking it and will probably continue with it and wipe my SL partition eventually. Besides Lion is now the main cat going forward, so i might as well adjust/adapt now. Plus it is still early days so things will only get better.

I don't have Wi-Fi problems or resource hog issues...then again i did a clean install before using Migration Assistant to move my 'raw' data over.

15. Damers macrumors regular

I just reverted back to SL after 3 months of using Lion. There were aspects of Lion that I liked but I also had some compatibility issues with essential programs. I also couldn't stand many of the new features of the OS. For me, at this point, SL is it and I'll wait and see how Lion evolves. If you're worried install Lion on a separate HDD or a small partition to try it out.

16. asifnaz thread starter macrumors member

I am still confused after hearing your mixed reviews . I was an early up-grader until Lion comes into business . Apple's "we know better" policy is disappointing.

I want latest OS X but removal of rosetta has brought many users out of options . As other user said MC and inverted scrolling is a joke .

Many people are tweaking Lion to look and behave like Snow leopard which is a shame for the latest OS X .

Is there 3rd party alternative for rosetta..?

or I should buy separate drive to test Lion and get used to it (and see for rosetta apps alternatives )

Despite of all negativity Windows 7 is backward compatible to DOS software BTW

17. thundersteele macrumors 68030

How do you know that if you never tried?

Not many... just a few forum users ;)
    Some people just like to live in the past - change is bad!!!

What negativity? Win 7 was generally well received, even in the OSX community. Also, Win 7 still runs on the same architecture that DOS did run on.

I find it somewhat amusing that you already decided to not like Lion before trying it.

Do you really need rosetta?

18. asifnaz thread starter macrumors member

How do you know that if you never tried?

I have tried on a friend's Mac for a while

Not many... just a few forum users ;)
    Some people just like to live in the past - change is bad!!!

Change might be implemented in a good manner

What negativity? Win 7 was generally well received, even in the OSX community. Also, Win 7 still runs on the same architecture that DOS did run on.
    Well read what Mac community has said about windows 7 and compatibility is at software level (compatibility layer )

I find it somewhat amusing that you already decided to not like Lion before trying it.
    I have used it (admitting for few hours ) I think it could have better . I didn't hate it but didn't love it either
    Do you really need rosetta?

For Quicken and MS Office 2004

19. thundersteele macrumors 68030

So, SL is still being supported right now, and will be for another year or two. Since some of your software will not run on Lion, and you don't like it very much, you shouldn't waste your time with the upgrade.

Some things I like:
    - 3 and 4 finger gestures
    - launchpad
    - mission control
    - automatic spell checking everywhere
    - resume/versions (this is really great!)
    - full screen apps
    - safaris tiny download window + private browsing

Things I miss:
    - the 2 dimensional desktop layout of spaces
    - after two month, it seems I don't miss anything else ;)

Maybe this helps.

20. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Avoid Lion at all costs. Versions fundamentally breaks the file system and makes working with your computer harder, and the OS is full of bugs. There is absolutely no reason to "upgrade" from a far superior operating system.

Better to hang tight, hope that Apple rows back in 10.8 or if they don't look at alternatives such as Windows.

Phazer

21. jasonvp macrumors 6502a

jasonvp

Unfortunately, that's progress. The PPC is a dead platform and that Apple strung out support for its applications for so long is really a bad thing, IMHO. They should have encouraged developers to switch over to universal binaries (or just straight Intel ones) much sooner than they did.

It's time to dump Office 2004. You're 2 major versions behind, and Office 2011 is vastly superior to it. Really. Yes, it'll cost some money, but again: progress. As for Quicken, they're supposed to have an Intel binary soon? I suspect there are alternatives to it, however.

They are? Even if they are, so what? A UI's appearance bears very little to how the underlying OS works and runs.

Unlikely. As I mentioned above: PPC is dead and buried (thank God). It's time to move on. Really.

Well yes and no. Older x86 software written for DOS might have problems on today's faster computers because of timing issues. That's not an OS problem, it's due to old code that was overly-optimized for yesterday's slower x86 processors.

The more important bit however is that other than speed and memory addressing, the x86 processor family hasn't changed a whole lot since the 8086/8088 days. The base assembly language is essentially unchanged. This is quite different from a Mac changing from PPC processors to Intel. Any hardware transition like that is going to be painful, but dragging it out like you have is just making it more so. Cut the cord.

jas

22. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

I'm a little curious, how has versions broke the file system?

23. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

There are still people bitching about this? For God's sake people, it's one frakin' box to unclick.

24. moikeyy macrumors member

moikeyy

Been with my Lion for months, and I'm happy. Never had SL before, but I know what it feels like. I've got no worries.

25. Gomff macrumors 6502a

If only the same could be said of versions.