How likely is Apple to update the Mac Pro tomorrow?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by silvel2edge, Nov 12, 2007.

1. silvel2edge macrumors newbie

When the iMac was released, Apple called together the press to show off the new and improved iMac.

I'm not sure what's happened in the past, but does Apple generally request the media to be present when they bring out new Mac Pros? I know there is a lot of speculation about updating them tomorrow (and I really REALLY hope they do as I will buy immediately) but I haven't heard about Apple saying they were going to hold any sort of conference tomorrow.

If Apple just updates the website with new Mac Pros, would you imagine it would just be the internals that would be updated and most likely not a redesign of the case? I would think if they redesigned the case they would want to hold a keynote or something to show off the new design, but like I said, I'm not sure what they've done in the past with mac pro's so if anyone could enlighten me that would be great.

2. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

3. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

I don't know what iTeen is talking about. I think the chances are much higher than 1%. Not to say it will happen for sure, but it could. It is also possible that Apple will wait til later in the month to get some more units together.

4. cwc123188 macrumors regular

Yeah it's definitely higher than 1% for tomorrow.:)
    I too believe that if there's no case re-design, the update will be silent. I feel weird that Multimedia is not here in these final days with us...:(

5. silvel2edge thread starter macrumors newbie

But in the past, does apple generally do a silent update for the Mac Pro, or have they always done some sort of keynote? If they always do a keynote, do they generally notify people of a keynote at least a day before?

Also, i've read quite a bit about people missing multimedia or MM... why wouldn't you just create a new user account if you were banned?

6. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

I'd say it's about 60/40 this week vs Macworld. If it is this week, it will be a silent update with no case re-design.

I wish I could give it more than a 60% chance, but we'll just have to wait and see.

PS the addition of the 8-core option was a silent update. That has been the only change in the lineup since the MP's introduction.

7. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

:rolleyes:

Yeah.................right. :rolleyes:

Me either.

8. macjay macrumors 6502

Considering there are zero rumors of an imminent release, I'd say it's highly unlikely (though possible).

9. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

The rumors were a few weeks ago, and were dependent upon Intel releasing the new Harpertowns. Now that they have been released, rumor site forums are 'a flowing.

10. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

11. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

12. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

Hubris?

13. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

Sorry to be slightly off topic but why is it that the 8-core option was an "official update" on macrumors' buying guide yet the recent silent update for the macbook pro was not? It seems the macbook pro was just updated more than the mac pro was last year and yet it's not "official."

14. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

That's a good question. But, to be on the safe side do as many of us do and just consider the Mac Pro pretty much untouched since its inception over a year ago (including prices).

15. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

That answer kind of scares me as I'm in the market for a macbook pro and now I'm worried that it won't come at macworld at all (heaven forbid the 6 month product cycle and my miserly wait until the middle of summer!)

I wasn't on these forums a year ago and I'm wondering if anyone knows whether macrumors changed the mac pro buying guide timeline for updates AFTER they realized the 8-core option was the update, ie did they keep the timeline going for a few months and then realize, darn it, that was the update.... and then put that date of the 8-core upgrade in retroactively and start counting from the update for the current calendar upgrade?

16. jrlcopy macrumors 6502

jrlcopy

Remember during the summer they updated the Macbook Pros, changed the video card, new processors, LED displays, and that was a silent update. (right? now that I think about it, was it silent?)

Edit: saw that someone else already mentioned the mbp, my mistake.

17. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Apple doesn't base refreshes on the buyer's guide. Don't worry.

18. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

60% tomorrow, about 10% each of the next 4 weeks, 0% MWSF (the ultraportable will be the star there instead).

19. psingh01 macrumors 65816

no, they updated it when the 8-core came out. but put the note (that is still there btw) that it was only an additional option. the day count at that time was +250 days it then restarted (and is almost at +250 days again LOL). I'm glad I got a MBP back then......

20. silvel2edge thread starter macrumors newbie

If Apple updates 11/13. When would one expect the site to go down? Like 8 or 9 AM PST?

21. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

Negrodamus says it will happen tomorrow afternoon, and there will be complaints about this upgrade by tomorrow night.

22. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

more likely EST

23. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

If Apple does decide to wait until MWSF, then the MacPro would start the show off leading Steve to say, "But we aren't done yet, there's just one more thing...." Blah blah blah, leading into the ultraportable.

24. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

And why do you think that? Apple is based in Cali.

25. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Updates have happened early. I would say that 8:00 EST would be a good guess.