How likely would you say the next MBA will be retina.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by intervenient, Jun 19, 2012.

1. intervenient macrumors 6502a

I bought a 2010 MBA 11 at launch...base model. I'm really starting to feel the slugginess of the 2GB of RAM, and the 64 GB storage is starting to get full.

I've been looking at the 13 inch MBA, and while it looks like a suburb laptop, I'd really hate to update now, only to have a really significant update to the MBA line with the introduction of the Retina display. After all, I'm a display whore.

I have the option (I hope!) of swapping my GF's 2008 MacBook Pro 13 for my current Air. Yes, the resolution sucks (and the battery too I think), but I'd likely put in an SSD and 4-8 GB of RAM to make it feel a little more snappy. I think this would be a nice compromise until a Retina Air comes out.

However, if there is no potential of a Retina Air next year, I might as well bite the bullet and get the current Air. It just seems like Haswell will provide a significant enough update that waiting it out will reward those who do.

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I say maybe, somewhat likely.

:rolleyes:

When the 13" rMBPs come out, they'll at least have the display. The question is whether they will be able to stick that puppy on a MBA lid by next year.

If I were a betting man, I'd say 2014. That way the 2013 MBA has Haswell, and the 2014 MBA has Haswell AND retina. Way to string us along!!! :p

3. GREEN4U macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure what Haswell is, but I think the retina Air is coming out soon, within the next year. Unfortunately that never bodes well for us who need something now. :(

The question is how much will it cost. I imagine there will be at least a $300 premium for it, sort of like the rMBP.

4. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Unlikely.

5. Joedesi macrumors newbie

6. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

7. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Put me down for likely.

Apple's adding HiDPI mode to OS X. That's a lot of work for one single model of Retina

Our Q1 report also indicated that a 13.3” 2560 by 1600 resolution panel was being prepared for production in the third quarter. ODM supply chain sources indicate that Apple will use this panel in a MacBook Pro unit to be launched in the fourth quarter. Production volume is expected to be roughly twice that of the 15.4” MacBook Pro. Like the 15.4” upgrade, this would be a doubling of the existing pixel density 13.3” MacBook Pro format of 1280 x 800.

Source:
    DisplaySearchBlog

8. Ginge22 macrumors newbie

I'd say somewhat likely, but if I was a betting man, I'd say it would be more like two generations away rather than one. I'm not letting that slim possibility stop me from buying the 2012 MBA though. I desperately need an upgrade to my ailing Windows laptop and the thought of holding out another year (or more) is just unreasonable. My friend just got his over the weekend and after spending 10 minutes with it... well, I have to own one.

The 2011 MBA's have such a great resale value. So if I keep my 2012 MBA in great shape, retain all the packaging, etc.., I'll be able to sell it next year for a pretty good value and put that money towards a retina display Air (should there be one). I'm not fussed about it either way.

9. GekkePrutser macrumors 6502a

GekkePrutser

It does specifically state Pro there, not Air. And that would make sense as it's 2x1280x800.

I think they'll introduce a thinner retina 13" Pro first. But I think it's all just guesswork for now.

10. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Really?

In what planet? :p

The 2011 13" Ultimate MBAs are selling for $1000 ($1700 MSRP). I wouldn't call that "great". Good, maybe, not great.

11. GekkePrutser macrumors 6502a

GekkePrutser

Of course the appearance of a retina 2013 Air would diminish the value of a 2012 one, especially if the new ones didn't increase the price. I'd bet on selling it before they come out, if the rumors are strong.

12. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

That would make sense because Haswell isn't out until spring/summer 2013 so that gives Apple time to ramp production and prepare for a Retina Air lineup.

13. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

What about battery life and heat dissipation if they put a retina in the Air?

Of course the Air will ultimately become a retina machine, but maybe not for 2 or 3 more generations.

14. Ginge22 macrumors newbie

My friend got $1150 for his, I'd say that's pretty great. And $1000 is pretty damn good too, you'd never see that kind of resale value on a Windows laptop.

Yes, you're right on that one. Regardless of rumors, I'd definitely sell before they got released.

15. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

See MBP Retina. Wouldn't the same physics apply here but on a lesser scale because we're talking about a smaller display and ULV processors?

Battery life and heat dissipation depend on the type of panel used.

Source: MacRumors

The benefits of IGZO are plenty: lower cost of manufacturing, up to 30x higher electron mobility than a-Si (amorphous silicon), increased aperture ratio for improved light transmittance, higher resolution in terms of ppi, etc. IGZO would allow for significant cost reductions compared to LTPS (Low Temperature Poly-Silicon) based high resolution LCDs like the rumored 9.7-inch 2048×1536 IPS LCD for the iPad 3.

My emphasis added

16. Bigmacduck macrumors regular

6400x4800 with new Onyx Chipset from Intel

If one of the next gens of MBA have the new Intel Onyx chipset we will be very happy: it will support resolutions of 6400x4800 (super retina).

17. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

The other thing of course is that they need to keep something at the $999 price point, if the 13" MBP become retina, and presumably moves up in price, what is going to fill the cheap seats?

18. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Is that the one with the Fibrium interconnect system with Neuronetic traces?

19. jedolley macrumors 68000

This. Apple has already shown that it's willing to move in the direct of Retina for MacBooks, but will only do so if it can retain profit margins. I don't think it's a matter of if, but more like when and that will be when the tech is at a price Apple finds acceptable.

20. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Plus there will always be constant downward pressure with regard to pricing which means premium brands are always looking for justification for premium pricing.

Apple's defense against Wintel based Ultrabooks is keep pushing the envelope and right now it appears that hirez screens will be that entry.

21. Bigmacduck macrumors regular

Yes correct, that is the new incredible very ultra low power Onyx chipset from Intel with a 18 GHz CPU clock, 6GHz memory clock and 100 micro volts VSS CPU voltage. Probably worth to wait for!

22. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Yes, but what about the heat?

23. mrogersscf macrumors member

If Apple is going to release a 13'' Retina MBP then the next Air will not be Retina, however there may be an increase in resolution.

24. Bigmacduck, Jun 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2012

Bigmacduck macrumors regular

Due to the ultra extremely low voltage of the CPU (100 micro volts) the core temperature will, according to preliminary specs, never exceed 60F, even under full load with turbo boost. I find that quite promising especially since the turbo boost for the 12 cores can clock up to 24Ghz for up to 15 million sequential CPU cycles. Unfortunately the turbo boost will only work for 12 of the 16 cores because of TDP considerations.

I cannot recall what the overall TDP of that beast will be, but I don't really care as long as the core temp stays at or below 60F.

----------

whoops! Forgot to mention that the 60F max temp is not just for the 12 turbo boosted cores but also for a full loading of the massively parallel processing of the embedded HD12000 GPU unit. This unit has in fact 2x12000=24000 parallel polygon spline pipes, which is probably more than enough to drive 130 frames per second at a resolution of 6400x4800.

But if you ask me I can never get enough graphics power and I will soon hit the limit with the better-than-life (TM) resolution of the new generation of games.

25. Blackened Apple macrumors regular

I'm expecting next year's MBA to come with a Retina display, mainly because of the pressure Windows Ultrabooks have been putting on Apple's shoulders. We have 11" ultrabooks with 1080p, for crying out loud... However, I also think you'd be better off buying right now, rather than switching to your GFs MBP. The screen on the MBA is second only to the rMBP in Apple's current lineup, with the upside of having less glare. In terms of real estate, if you go with the rMBPs default setting, you have exactly the same viewing area as the 1440x900 of the 13" MBA. This year's MBA should be a really nice machine, I'll be getting one for myself (upgrading from a 2006 Toshiba, it has served me quite well), and you'll only be hindering your fun by making yourself wait. Get one now, and another in 2-3 years, if you have that money and feel the need to upgrade.