Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

so

• 1 year

Votes: 121 55.8%
  • 2 years

Votes: 62 28.6%
  • 3 years

Votes: 19 8.8%
  • 4 years+

Votes: 15 6.9%

• Total voters

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
What would entice you get an X2 specifically ? Just it's general existence ? :p

Given the nature of this forum, I suspect that many people are just compelled to have the newest phone.

I am not one of those people. I won’t replace my phone until I feel that a new one can offer something significant over the one I already have. That’s why I got a good three years out of my 6.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Given the nature of this forum, I suspect that many people are just compelled to have the newest phone.

I am not one of those people. I won’t replace my phone until I feel that a new one can offer something significant over the one I already have. That’s why I got a good three years out of my 6.

You're a smart consumer !

6plus to 6s plus was totally tangible
6s plus to 7Plus too but less so but I appreciated putting the prototype back look to rest with matte black and P3 screen/dual-ish speakers and dual cams

Couldn't justify 8 anything. Too incremental

The X feels fresh at least. Hopefully I can stay strong too, assuming I keep the X :p

Last edited:
Reactions: FriendlyMackle

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Most likely a Year and I will probably pass the X down to my wife next year.

That's always a thought handing down my 7+ to someone on 6s plus in my family assuming

A) they want it
B) I'm willing to forego a JAILBROKEN plus phone

I doubt the B part

I have a JAILBROKEN SE I swap/use sometimes/always have as a backup.

Served me well between selling 6s plus and getting 7+

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
That's always a thought handing down my 7+ to someone on 6s plus in my family assuming

A) they want it
B) I'm willing to forego a JAILBROKEN plus phone

I doubt the B part
Last phone I had jailbroken was my iPhone 5 so for me that's not remotely important but I understand how tough that would be if you use it regularly.

My wife is using a 7 right now so the X will be a nice upgrade for her even next year so it works out well for me.

Reactions: thadoggfather

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
This, unless something major changes.

I’ve only not upgraded once; iPhones are my indulgence. My laptop is seven years old!

I too have had all iPhones EXCEPT

I skipped 5s knowing Touch ID would be in my next phone and 8 since it feels incremental especially alongside X Ans still dang expensive. But I still bought and later returned the 5s / 8 after a few days

Going 7Plus to 8plus 128 to 64 would feel wrong. Same body and half storage and no jailbreak for essentially same thing and hassle of buy sell and screen lottery. NO WAY! Makes such little sense for my use case

I don't even need 128 turns out and can settle for an new body and little bezel and OLED and second cam OIS and wireless charging now standard effective 2017

On paper
[doublepost=1509217920][/doublepost]I'm
Last phone I had jailbroken was my iPhone 5 so for me that's not remotely important but I understand how tough that would be if you use it regularly.

My wife is using a 7 right now so the X will be a nice upgrade for her even next year so it works out well for me.

It really has presented a predicament but will as the hardware ages further and further out and jb releases become rarer and rarer or non existent all together at this point

7+ is still quite modern by all accounts. That's another reason I don't *need* a X but lust for something new

Last edited:

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Yeah I hear ya.

The 8 Plus doesn't feel like an upgrade at all... to be really worthy it needs the A11 Bionic and 3GB RAM like the X has...

Oh wait a sec... oops! :eek:

The experience is so good on 7Plus that the benchmark impressiveness doesn't play into actual use for me whatsoever.

X is a different experience completely

Even if it had A10 and 3gb and were unchanged from 7Plus internals

PLUS 8plus is notably heavier from 7Plus

Jailbreak heavily outweighs the internal bump in my case

stulaw11

Suspended
Jan 25, 2012
Depends what they release in 2018. If just a "S" type line then not upgrading. If some kind of a X Plus larger device then probably upgrading.

I suspect from the rumors of a larger Plus type device next year, and the fact that they can go up in device size slightly to the current Plus dimensions but still get a massive 6" or more screen in, that there will be some type of Plus device in the next year or 2.

Reactions: FriendlyMackle

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Depends what they release in 2018. If just a "S" type line then not upgrading. If some kind of a X Plus larger device then probably upgrading.

I suspect from the rumors of a larger Plus type device next year, and the fact that they can go up in device size slightly to the current Plus dimensions but still get a massive 6" or more screen in, that there will be some type of Plus device in the next year or 2.

I'm absurdly curious about 2018

I think XS or XII OR X2 or whatever you want to call it is a given. An S-cycle of the X.

Would they really abandon a design a year in?

But what will come of those big bezel classic iPhones? Will they be updated with
OLED ?

Or massive price drop to X size and co release a X plus? And make these the standard and only
New models?

But this would Price out so many people unless they just sold 8 series cheap and as the affordable option. Like how people are flocking to 7 for the savings rn

yang88she

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2011
ATL
I upgrade my apple watch and iPhones to every year, but my macbook and iPad has closer to 2-4 year cycle.

Reactions: Mr.C
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.