How many 1st Generation iphone owners here ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WillieG, Jan 2, 2009.

1. WillieG macrumors member

WillieG

I'm holding on to my 2G iphone, as it has been very good to me : ). I want to hear from other 2G owners, on why they are holding on to their 2G.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. iGuardian macrumors 6502a

iGuardian

I have a iPhone 3G myself, but my dad has one of the originals. He has it because he wanted a cheaper, unlocked, and jailbroken iPhone so he could transfer his contacts via the sim card.

(Yes, I know you can jailbreak and unlock the iPhone 3G now, but at the time you couldn't, so...)

EDIT: Also, can you share the link to the wallpaper you're using? It's really nice.

3. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

MY 2G is spending the year in Thailand with the gf.... Still in great shape as far as I know.

4. Vegeta-san macrumors 6502

lmao...Dude, why are you posting up pics of my phone? lol....No, but seriously, my phone looks JUST LIKE THAT. Same Contour Showcase and all...Except for that wallpaper...Which is nice..Can I have that wallpaper dude? Can you just post it up as a picture in this thread please?

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I have a first-gen, received on launch day 2007. I won it, and to this day, while it has been activated since day three of its existence, jailbroken since 1.0.2, and unlocked since 1.0.2, I do not have phone service with it. I maintain the world's crappiest LG Verizon flip phone for my cellular needs.

6. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Yeah, link to that wallpaper, i like it.

Oh, and it's 2.5G. :)

7. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I've still got one b/c I bought it for $250 in April. I wasn't going to turn around and spend $200 an get an extra $10/month ($15 if I added the 200 free texts to make it like this plan) for something that wasn't really *that* much better.

At this point, I think I'm going to hold out for the next major update. I need at least 32GB of storage (I had a 30GB iPod for 2 years) and want to see if a better camera or something else is added this year. I'm also letting everybody else find the problems, just like I did with the original.

I hope to sell my first gen phone on eBay when I get a new one since I see a lot of them for $350. I figure unlocking and jailbreaking aren't that difficult to do.

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

2 first gen iPhones in my house. Both working great.

9. jambobowron macrumors regular

jambobowron

I'm an iPhone 3G myself and i love it but i also love that wallpaper could you please link to it...:D

10. iObama macrumors 6502

iObama

Ditto. Mine was bought in the same month as yours too. Weird.

My dad's friend from work gave him his because he upgraded to the 3G.

11. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

first gen. I hate the idea that AT&T screwing the 3G owners with extra fees. My company pays the fee but I still haven't upgraded... Maybe the next gen phone will push me over the edge.

It is my 3rd phone though -- thank you AppleCare.

12. seattle macrumors 6502

I still have a 1st generation iPhone and it have been working great for me. I don't want to have to pay another $10 a month for data and also get a text plan.

13. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

My exact same thoughts (except for the whole my company pays fees part).

Apple Care is so awesome:cool:

In any case, I love my 1st Gen, it looks more Pro like.

14. millerj123 macrumors 6502a

My iPhone replaced a generic cell phone and Palm IIIxe that still works. Full color - whoah!

I love having wifi access anywhere in the home. The edge network is not so nice, but works in a pinch. I just can't justify the additional expense of 3G.

15. wbe858 macrumors member

I had one not too awful long ago but like someone else in this thread my girlfriend is using it on t-mobile/ipod touch. I did use it from time to time, usually if i was going somewhere that i could possibly break my new one (i baby this one, the first one not so much, a shattered screen and many many dents). Shes not willing to give it up so im assuming it will be used for quite a while.
    My dad has a first gen and it still works great for him and as far as i know he has no plans of upgrading till it dies.

16. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    Yep, still have my first-gen iPhone, which I waited in line to purchase that historic day in June 2007. I waited in line again, this time to purchase the iPhone 3G, but kept my beloved original iPhone, which I use as a sort of backup. All of my music and videos, etc., are on both iPhones and I use the older iPhone as a sort of iPod Touch now.

17. millar876 macrumors 6502a

millar876

I can't get o2 3G at home or at work or at the two places my work often sends me (Benbecula, South Uist and Shetland) and i have an in car sat nav, so there is no actual point in me changing to the 3G just because its newer. Also, I like the looks of the origional iPhone a lot more.

also, the EDGE network usually runs at arround 600-768kbps, which is incidently faster than my home (landline) broadband 512kbps

18. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I sorta agree with you on that. I get AT&T charging $30 for 3G service, but I don't get not having an EDGE-only service at $20/month for people who don't live anywhere near 3G or who just want to save money. Taking out the free 200 text messages was beyond stupid. Just another phone company ripping people off with those more than restaurants with their $2.20 soft drinks.

19. WillieG thread starter macrumors member

WillieG

All in one (wallpaper)

By popular demand ----- Here is the wallpaper I'm using. copy and paste.... : )

[​IMG]

20. Turmoil macrumors regular

I still use the 2G I-Phone - works great. My wife has a 3G, but I'm happy with my 2G.

21. WillieG thread starter macrumors member

WillieG

yeah, it's now posted... By the way, the holster on the contour broke last week, after a year. The old holster (all black), was not made as strong as this recent holster (the clip part, that catches the phone and snaps it in place, and releases the phone when removing from holster). I called contour and they sent me the clear holster. (much sturdier, stronger build), The contour has kept my phone in mint condition. Just like the very first day I received it. I love it to pieces... It's the best phone case I've ever owned.... And No, I don't work for Contour Showcase... LOL....:D

22. Vegeta-san macrumors 6502

Hey man....Yup, the same happened to me recently....They sent me (only the clip) for free....Good company for sure.

23. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I got my 2G two days after iday in 2007 and it's still going very strong. The 3G was tempting when it first came out, but 3G, GPS, and non-recessed headphone jack was not enough. If the data plan had been the same then yes, but for $15 more/month I'll keep what I have until apple releases the next gen (an iphone nano could tempt me, if it's very well done!).

24. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

Why? Because its a great phone and there's no reason to drop 200 (or 300 cuz I would get a 16gb) for the same phone minus the aluminum, plus 3G, GPS, and normal headphone jack.

I'm waiting till this summer when they'll hopefully release something thinner and faster with 32gb memory.

25. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Still using my original iPhone mainly due to the fact that I have it running on T-Mobile (reception could be better, but at $15 a month on our family plan it works just fine). Plus, having the original, first of a kind, iPhone is kinda cool :) :apple: