Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

8000rpm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2011
I think apple was like a deer in headlights when intel decided to launch quad cores first. I think they're waiting for the dual cores.

I couldn't take the wait. I couldn't force myself to get a current i7 when sandy bridge will knock it's teeth out when it comes out. Sadly that led me to my only other preference ... A pc laptop :(

I'm sure I'm not the first.. But I couldnt wait at all. 2 days back at work without a laptop is DRIVING ME INSANE!!!!

I got an alienware m17x r3. Not really comparable to a
17 pro but those were the choices. 2820qm, gtx460, 256 samsung 470 ssd, blueray, 120hz LCD w/nvidia 3d kit etc . Those are the main components.

I am sad, truly sad I couldn't wait for a pro refresh. Apple you just lost my $3k. I'll be selling my iphone4 too since it won't match anymore lol.

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
judging by today's record sales report of $27 Billion the past 3 months and also being up 23% ... I would say none :cool:

Nov 28, 2010
located
Is your username alluding to the idle fan speed of your AlienWare?

Anyway, it seems, Apple did quite good in selling four million Macs in the last three months.

hcuar

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2004
Dallas
Wow... Alienware... I've heard bad things about Alienware laptops. You realize your iPhone will work on a PC right? Not sure I understand about the matching thing. Does that mean your buying a Windows 7 phone? :eek:

TheFarmer

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2011
I think apple was like a deer in headlights when intel decided to launch quad cores first. I think they're waiting for the dual cores.

I couldn't take the wait. I couldn't force myself to get a current i7 when sandy bridge will knock it's teeth out when it comes out. Sadly that led me to my only other preference ... A pc laptop :(

I'm sure I'm not the first.. But I couldnt wait at all. 2 days back at work without a laptop is DRIVING ME INSANE!!!!

I got an alienware m17x r3. Not really comparable to a
17 pro but those were the choices. 2820qm, gtx460, 256 samsung 470 ssd, blueray, 120hz LCD w/nvidia 3d kit etc . Those are the main components.

I am sad, truly sad I couldn't wait for a pro refresh. Apple you just lost my $3k. I'll be selling my iphone4 too since it won't match anymore lol.

The point of purchasing a Mac is for OS X. If you're going to compare hardware speed, MacBooks are never really up to par with higher end/gaming PC laptop stuff especially in the same price category.

I'm more excited about OS X Lion than whatever the new MBPs are going to have/be/look like. :cool:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Leave Sandy Bridge alone!
chris-crocker-cries.jpg

Funkymonk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2011
Leave Sandy Bridge alone!
chris-crocker-cries.jpg

rofl!

don't know about sandy bridge but whenever a friend purchases a new laptop I always ask "why didn't you get the mbp?" and they tell me "it's only core 2 duo bro, that shts old" :p.

apple makes a lot of money and are far from hurtin so I doubt they care.

jetblk328i

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2010
very little IMO. I think the majority of mac users use their machines for email, word, safari,etc.

8000rpm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2011
I'm not comparing the aw to the Mbp guys. To me it's the most appealing pc that has some good gaming capability. I know pc specs are usually better but I would have taken a dual core sandy 17 pro had there been any rumors or leaks so far. I just can't wait without a laptop and sandy bridge has so many advantages I wouldn't pass it up.

Thats quite a killing they made but Any customers they Lose to pc is money out of their pocket and they do care about it.

And no lol 8000 rpm refers to my motor in one if my cars. But I wouldn't be surprised if my aw fans hit that haha! On the bright side, I have about 2 months of no hassle return policy in case any announcements are made. At least I'll have something to play with in the meantime !

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
Apple has no history of Mac users jumping to PC ... compared to PC users discovering Apple in droves ... I personally have never met a Mac owner that decided to switch to a PC ... ever. :cool:

8000rpm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2011
I have to agree with you there too.. I bought a MacBook pro a few Years back an became a convert. Only problem was I like to game a little and the mouse acceleration. Did I mention the mouse acceleration? I hate to say it but it's 99% of the reason I needed a pc laptop. Even a ma specific deathadder mouse couldnt feel right in games.

My wife loved my MacBook so much we ended up getting a 27 iMac so all is not lost!

docal97

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
Southampton
Why did u need so much power right now in ur laptop? What do u do with it that u couldnt wait a few months to see what apple came out with if u like macs so much?

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
I am in my 40s and have never been a fan of video games ... I also work in the Graphic Arts and Printing Industry so for me it has only been Mac.

But for gaming ... I see the reason for your choice. :cool:

Richard1028

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2009
The point of purchasing a Mac is for OS X.

Then us dolts who like macs for the hardware and design must have it all wrong. We should have just opted for some cheap-assed Hackintoshes.

Really, you're being way too presumptuous in your assessment of the mac community as a whole.

marshallbedsaul

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
Utah
I would say very few everytime I go to applestore they are always packed/people walking out with laptops
also I dont think the average shopper pays attention to apple updates ect...
They walk in wanting a new macbook/pro and just buy it.

8000rpm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2011
Why did u need so much power right now in ur laptop? What do u do with it that u couldnt wait a few months to see what apple came out with if u like macs so much?

I'm not sure I really needed that much power. I love the battery life on the Mac but admittedly in over a year with the Mac I'm always arms length from a power outlet. The only games I Play are wow, cs source, and frozen throne and maybe cod4 here and there if I'm tired of cs.

The reason I can't wait is because today and yesterday I was at work all day using my iPhone to keep me entertained. I usually stream tv, watch movies and play games all day long. Not being able to do anything had me staring at the floor in boredom. I just can't wait anymore. Since the r3 is new and has a backorder mine song be ready for a few weeks at least. When it's finally shipped Dell offers a shipping-paid no questions asked 100% return policy for 21 days. I figure that gives me about a month and a half to see if any announcements get made.

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
The point of purchasing a Mac is for OS X.

The MBP is one of the best Windows XP/Windows 7 workstations i've ever used. Heck at one point in time the MBP was the fastest Windows XP laptop available (Being dual core early on).

Next?

TheFarmer

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2011
Then us dolts who like macs for the hardware and design must have it all wrong. We should have just opted for some cheap-assed Hackintoshes.

Really, you're being way too presumptuous in your assessment of the mac community as a whole.

I wasn't assuming anything are you? I buy Macs for OS X, you buy it because you like pretty Apples...big deal.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
I buy apple laptops because no one can really match their trackpad experience. On apple laptop, I don't need a mouse. On Pc, god help me. It's shame and awful.
Mac OS and window 7 are both good and bad in certain situations, so I won't say much. But, I don't buy Mac to run games, so I don't need sandy Bridge.

DesmoPilot

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2008
Apple has no history of Mac users jumping to PC ... compared to PC users discovering Apple in droves ... I personally have never met a Mac owner that decided to switch to a PC ... ever. :cool:

I know quite a few, especially since 7 came out.

8000rpm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2011
I love the apple trackpad. Problem is I dont need it for gaming and I usually have a mouse plug in. I just wish apple coil do something about making their mouse movement more adjustable. The acceleration etc is brutal for games. The main reason i originally bought the pro17 was the unibody. I had absolutely no interest in the previous model. I probably would have sold it even if I go one free I thought they were that ugly. I guess it's obvious aesthetics means a lot and the unibody hit the home run. I they do make it a wedge like the air I dont think I'll feel bad about my purchase as I dont like the styling.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
Most people aren't as impatient as you and even more don't need a laptop with those kinds of specs.

So....how many have they lost? Probably not too many.

Hornzog

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2011
The reason I can't wait is because today and yesterday I was at work all day using my iPhone to keep me entertained. I usually stream tv, watch movies and play games all day long. Not being able to do anything had me staring at the floor in boredom. I just can't wait anymore. Since the r3 is new and has a backorder mine song be ready for a few weeks at least.

You get paid to stream TV, watch movies and play games all day long?

I am so in the wrong line of work.

jacobp89

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2011
Raleigh, NC
I'm with you on the gaming experience. I love to game every now and then, but my question is, if you still love Apple why didn't you just get the MBP and build a custom gaming PC? I built my PC a little over a year ago. I just purchased my MBP last November and I can truly say I love playing with my Macbook more than my PC now. I still like my PC since I built it myself I will always like it, but my Macbook is where my heart is set now.

Also, back to your question about how many have they lost? I would have to say not too many. If anything they may have gained some. Especially next month when iPhone 4 goes to Verizon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.