How much data per month do you use?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by korndawg, Jun 20, 2011.

1. korndawg macrumors regular

With all this panic of tiered plans from AT&T and Verizon, I'm curious on how much data you guys are using per month. Right now, I have 3 smart phones on my family plan and one $15 data plan on another phone. That's an additional $105 per month right there in 'unlimited data' However, in looking at the bills, it seems that a 5 GB plan would suffice. That right there would save a bunch of money (rumor is $50 a month for VZ). I wanna know how people are ripping thru so much data on their phones. I use my phone alot at home and work where I have wifi, and when i'm out and about, I just usually check facebook, espn and maybe some news sites. So whats chewing up your GB's per month in data that is causing the panic?

2. genexrocket macrumors regular

I still have the AT&T unlimited data plan, but I never found myself going over 1 GB per month. That's with lots of GPS use and streaming Pandora.

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I think I've used about 75MB last month.
    I hope Verizon's data plans are more flexible ... and I hope AT&T follows up with that.

4. Votekinky06 macrumors 6502

5. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

just over 3GB per month, its mostly all pandora too

6. korndawg thread starter macrumors regular

Another question, is how are you using so much? Just by streaming music and video?

7. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

The most data intensive things I do on my phone over 3G are pull email, Facebook, twitter and weather.

Not "just" by streaming music and video ... those take up a lot of bandwidth! (so yeah)

8. sbddude macrumors 6502a

GPS use alone (positioning) does not use data. If you are downloading maps then that uses data.

9. korndawg thread starter macrumors regular

Damn guys. Last month I only used 200 meg and this month, after 11 days, Im at 65 MB. Guess I'm def not a heavy user :) I am on fb a ton and always checking weather tho.

10. martiansoldier macrumors 6502

11. MiRod407 macrumors member

I range from 3.8gb to 2gb per month. My highest month was in January with an iPhone 4. Surprisingly, I haven't passed 3gb since then, even though I tether my iPad 2 from it. I also stream an hour to 2 hours a week from the iPad through the iPhone 4. Other then Netflix streaming I use my phone for the constant checking of facebook and twitter throughout the day.

12. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Haha welcome to the club :cool:
    Seriously, i cant understand how some people actually manage using close to 100gbs of data :D that's why AT&T is now targeting those who tether

13. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Usually somewhere around 1.5 GB. I think I hit 2 GB one time.

Basically, I could stay under 2 GB if I had to and was paying attention. (But I have unlimited so I don't pay attention.)

This is all based on having wi-fi at home, mind you. My real numbers are obviously much higher although I don't know what they are.

EDIT: I think that Netflix is my primary offender.

14. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

A vast amount, for a very modest fixed price of only $29.99 thanks to AT&T.

Considering I'm online for work our personal most of the day, it's a bargain I've enjoyed for years.

Little did I realize when enrolling in the unlimited data program upon its introduction, that I would enjoy so many trouble free years

15. TG1 macrumors 6502a

TG1

500 mb to 1 gb a month for me. Switched to the 2 gb plan (from unlimited) and saved $5/month. Never been an issue.

16. vachargerfan macrumors regular

17. MastahRiz macrumors 6502

I have never hit more than 200 in over a year. Wifi is everywhere I go.

18. chestvrg macrumors 65816

I use like 3.5GB per month average.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

19. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Usually about 1 GB with the bulk it coming from streaming radio but already up to about 5 GB this month with a week to go--went on vacation for a week and used my iPhone to stream Netflix for the family, really chews through the data. :D

20. Centsy macrumors regular

I use a lot more than everyone else here... I use about 7GB/month I believe. Probably from streaming Rdio about 8 hours/day, 5 days/week.

21. Fernandez21 macrumors 68040

Fernandez21

I use around 4gb a month, mostly from Netflix, hulu, and icatcher (have it set up to download podcasts whenever available even on 3G) before I downloaded those three apps, I was generally around 1-2gb a month.

On AT&T unlimited plan btw.

22. unlimitedx macrumors 6502a

since i amm on the $15 i watch my usage so it won't exceed 200mb. i average about 100-175/month

23. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

6-9 GB. I listen to streaming music at work, watch netflix about a few times per month, web browse, etc. Streaming is what will get you.
    If Verizon follows AT&T, there won't be a 5 GB plan. However Verizon might be smart and offer 5 GB as an option.

24. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Based on my AT&T chart, I have used between 1.1GB's and 2.5GB's / month. I have the unlimited AT&T plan, I may switch to the 2GB one day but for $5 saving it's probably not worth it.

25. NWI73 macrumors 6502a