How much vacation do you get?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by puma1552, Aug 21, 2013.

1. puma1552 macrumors 603

I love my job, but I'm dying for a vacation. My job is very mentally taxing (engineer). We always have tons of work to do which is better than the alternative, but it can be pretty stressful.

That said we only get 10 days of vacation (which I suppose is standard) and 6 company holidays. No floating holidays or personal holidays. Just the 10 and the 6. We also don't get black Friday nor even Christmas Eve off. Needless to say you don't get a lot of time off, and most people end up trying to save as much of it as possible for the holidays since we get the absolute bare minimum off (Christmas Day and New Year's Day only). In our 6th year we get 3 weeks off. Can't roll any vacation either, use it or lose it, and lots of people have lost it thinking they'd be able to take it at the end of the year but having too many deadlines, so even that's a gamble.

At my last job I had over four weeks of vacation in addition to about double the holidays. Seemed like I had a week off or a few days off every other month or so, which was great.

I've taken just four days off this year, and am trying to save the rest of it for Christmas time. That's still four months off from now though, and I'm getting really burned out. I haven't had a full week off since spring of 2012.

I don't know what the point of this post is; it's just tough to get to do any traveling abroad unless I want to burn most/all of my vacation in one shot (haven't been abroad on a vacation since '09 when I was at my last job), which I don't want to do. My mom died in her early 50s, and ever since then I've found that time is what's important, and I'm glad I realize that in my 20s; I think a lot of people don't realize that until much later in life.

The easy answer would be to find another job with more time off, but there are a lot of other great things about the job, and I don't know that I'd get much more competitive a package elsewhere. I would be perfectly happy with taking unpaid time off, like maybe two weeks of that to go along with my two weeks paid that I get, but I'm sure that's not allowed and is probably not something payroll wants to deal with making adjustments for.

It's going to be a long 35-40 years. There's gotta be a better alternative.

2. determined09 macrumors 65816

determined09

I get 3 weeks of vacation. In addition to having two weeks off at Christmas and one week off for spring break.#

3. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

Where do you live ?

Most companies I have seen in the US start with 10 days off (for professional jobs) and increase the vacation time based on the number of years you have worked there.

I currently get 20 vacation days but I have been at my current job (also engineering) for 21 years. Work at the same place for many years and you should start to increase your vacation time.

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Love vacation days at work. I get around 14 days (I just started my job not 5 months ago) from my employer.

Engineering class job here as well.

5. thekingofnerds, Aug 21, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2013

thekingofnerds macrumors regular

I don't get any vacation time. Between my two companies (part-owner with business partners) and my job, there's no time for rest. Ever since I turned 18 I've worked virtually nonstop.

Probably not entirely healthy.

6. adk macrumors 68000

adk

My dad gets six weeks of vacation a year, all bank holidays, and four floating holidays (ie christmas eve or yom kippur) per year. He's been at the same job for over 30 years though.

7. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 603

Midwest area.

Yeah I don't know, I just feel like there's more to life than slaving away for all but a mere 10 (or even 20) days out of the entire year. Time really is what's important, and humans were never meant to slave away spending most of their waking life working.

There's gotta be a way to make a decent living and still have enough time off to really enjoy life, to be able to travel. I know people who teach English at universities overseas (with a master's degree) who work 32 weeks per year, and four days a week at that for the 32 weeks they do work, and roughly only 10 classes per week, and usually don't need to be there if they aren't teaching a class. That's an insane amount of time off, all the while getting paid a great salary, comparable or exceeding my own as an engineer. I've seen far too many extended travel pics on facebook to ignore it. Too bad I don't really care for teaching, let alone English. But man what a difference in time off. With that much time off and that little time actually working, you could almost tolerate doing something you didn't like since it would basically be 50% of the year only.

8. velocityg4 macrumors 601

velocityg4

Sounds to me like you might want to find a place with better hours or vacation time. What's the point of a really good pay and benefits if you can't enjoy it?

I'd rather make less and enjoy my time more. There are options to prioritizing your expenditures. If you go out to lunch every day cut it out. Bring your own food and save a ton of money and likely eat healthier. Get a job in an area with lower housing prices or don't get the most house you can afford get a house that is easy to afford. Depending on where you live the difference in cost may even save you more than the lower income costs you.

As for how many vacation days do I get. I run my own business so however many I want really. I don't take many since I don't find vacations very interesting. However, when I feel like taking a day off I do. For me taking time off just means missed income opportunity for the day.

9. AhmedFaisal, Aug 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2013
  10. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

When you guys say i.e. 3 weeks off, do you mean 21 days or 15 (5 laboring days each week)?

I'm having 25 days off this year (next year +1 if I stay there and so on/started there 3 years ago) not really satisfied with that number right now, but no serious overtime I have to spend and we have 13 national holidays too, so it could be much worse. (2015 will be horrible though :D)

I'm a sucker for free time, even thinking of changing my line of work as an architect, which I truly love, because of that.

11. JackieInCo Suspended

I get four weeks a year. They give two weeks every six months.

12. AhmedFaisal, Aug 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2013
  13. JackieInCo Suspended

I get hours. they average how many hours I work per week and then give me that average in vacation hours. Right now I have 78 hours. I've had as much as 180 hours built up and finally just used them to round up my work week to 40 hrs until they were all used. They won't issue me a check for just those hours if I don't want to take the time so either I take the time off or add them to my work week as I mentioned above to give me 40 hrs.

14. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Every day is a vacation day since I took early retirement 10 years ago, on a full pension. :D
    Life has never been better out of the rat race.

15. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

You're the ****** reason we all have to work so much! :D

16. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Yes it is, and DON'T you forget it :p

Now hop back to work, that's enough free time you've wasted.:D

17. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

18. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

20 days per year plus bank holidays. I knew a guy who recently completed 25 years service at John Lewis, and is currently on a sim month paid sabbatical. We don't get time in lieu or extra holiday depending on time served. If we work a Saturday or Sunday, we just get the day back, no time and a half or anything.
    Still I'm off all next week and can't wait!

19. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

I get 20 days off a year along with Thanksgiving (and Black Friday), Christmas (and eve), New Years Day (and eve), Easter, Memorial, Labor Day, and probably a few I am forgetting..

20. 960design macrumors 68030

I get 19 days off for Winter Vacation ( pretty much the entire month of December - just to be clear - I do get paid for the holidays ), 9 days off for Thanksgiving, plus all the common holidays July 4th ect. I earn 3 days a month for regular vacation. I currently have 93 days of vacation available.

My girlfriend on the other hand is a contractor and she works her butt off and earns very little vacation time ( 1.5 days per month i think ). She also does not get holidays off. In comparison, she makes about 30k more per year than me. Is it worth it? I don't think so.

21. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

22. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

I want your job :p

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I get 6 weeks which may sound great BUT, within that allotment are all my holidays, sick days and of course vacation days. Its still generous but when you remove 2 weeks of holidays, 5 days of sick time, that gives me 3 weeks of "vacation."

Of course if I don't take sick days (which I avoid) and work many of the minor holidays, i.e., columbus day, president's day, etc) I can hoard my time.

24. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    Four weeks, but I've never taken it all in any one year.

25. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

I get 4 weeks a year. I rarely use them as I only work 3 days a week, but am on call 24/7. Company I work for will buy my holiday time out if I ask.