How much will I lose out if I buy an iPad Pro 9.7 now instead of waiting for the next one?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bustylasercanon, Apr 20, 2017.

  1. bustylasercanon macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 8, 2015
    #1
    I really want one for digital drawing and photo editing but after looking at all of these rumours I don't know what to do. Should I buy a current 9.7 or wait until the new one comes out?

    I obviously want the latest and greatest one and I don't want to be gimping myself in a gadget I'm hopefully going to have for a while.

    The rumours aren't very conclusive either - some saying it'll be out in May, some saying it will be in September/October with iPhone 8.

    I know Apple products keep their resell value quite well right? I've never sold an Apple product - if I bought a current 9.7 and sold it in 6 months how much money would I lose?
     
  2. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

    T'hain Esh Kelch

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2001
    Location:
    Denmark
    #2
    Simple: What does the current model not do, that you need?
     
  3. 8692574 Suspended

    8692574

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2006
    #3
    As always ...buy if you need wait if you can, buying and selling will surely make you lose money, if the purchase is for the long run and do not need it right now wait! I would say 150 - 200 $
     
  4. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #4
    There will always be a better machine being released around the corner. If you have a need now, then get one and don't worry about the future :) If you can wait then you're better off waiting.
     
  5. bustylasercanon thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 8, 2015
    #5
    It currently does everything I need but say the new iOS does a bunch of iPad features that requires more RAM that I won't have, etc.
     
  6. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

    T'hain Esh Kelch

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2001
    Location:
    Denmark
    #6
    I highly doubt iOS 11 will have features that the current iPads can't run. Also, if you are afraid to buy something on the outlook of running something that doesn't exist nor which you have any idea on what is (And therefore HIGHLY unlikely that you will need!), then you'll never buy anything new.
     
  7. bustylasercanon thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 8, 2015
    #7
    I know what you mean but my only reason for thinking I should hold off is because of how people are talking about these rumours - it makes me anxious to buy but they also seem baseless.
     
  8. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

    Newtons Apple

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2014
    Location:
    Jacksonville, Florida
    #8
    If you did not read these threads you would have already purchased your 9.7 and be very happy.
     
  9. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

    T'hain Esh Kelch

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2001
    Location:
    Denmark
    #9
    They are just that - Rumors. No one here can tell you what the next iPad will be.
    But i do know that the next one comes with a free unicorn!
     
  10. Freakonomics101 macrumors 65816

    Freakonomics101

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2014
    #10
    Everyone's needs are different. All I want is a smooth and stable OS.... no slow downs like there was on my iPad Air. I love the Pro's light weight, screen and the camera (with a flash). As long as iOS 11 remains smooth on the Pro 9.7, which I believe it will, I'm not upgrading. I mainly use it for gaming anyway...
     
  11. Mcdevidr macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Nov 27, 2013
    #11
    If you buy one at full retail now and wish to sell it later you will loose quite a bit. I just sold a three week old one perfect condition new and after fees and shipping will hardly get $400. Could have possibly waited longer and got maybe $30 more. I bought it on sale with a coupon so it wasn't bad but if I paid $600 that would have been $200 down the drain as PPCebay said. This was a 32GB model.

    If you want one now I'd look for a mint condition used with warranty like I sold and pay the least possible then sell it when the new one comes and get that, then you have an iPad for now for minimal cost and you have the new one later.
     
  12. Trumpy macrumors member

    Trumpy

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2009
    Location:
    Kansas City, MO
    #12
    I'm in the same boat as you. I'd really like to have an iPad Pro with Pencil to replace my aging iPad Mini 2. BUT, I can wait for the next round of updates and THEN buy the iPad Pro because it'll be discounted in price even though I doubt the specs will be a lot different. I figure, I haven't needed a new one until now, so why not wait a few more months and get one at a discount. Stay strong!
     
  13. Relentless Power macrumors P6

    Relentless Power

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2016
    #13
    No matter what you purchase for technology, it's already considered dated when you purchase it, as a new iteration is already being developed/implemented. Just enjoy it for what it is now and take advantage of what you need for your daily uses.

    The 9.7 Pro is a great iPad that will be supported for while, but I would certainly not focus on Apple's timeline of any unannounced future releases.
     
  14. DNichter macrumors 68040

    DNichter

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2015
    Location:
    Philadelphia, PA
  15. barkomatic macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2008
    Location:
    Manhattan
    #15
    Based upon how you expressed yourself in this post, it sounds like you don't need it immediately so I'd wait. Of course, you'll need to be prepared for the possibility of waiting until the Fall since Apple has been inconsistent in its release cycle for the iPad lately. Hopefully, it will be released sooner.

    If you really want to buy it, then look for some type of discount or maybe buy used or refurbed.
     
  16. Cosmo M3 macrumors regular

    Cosmo M3

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2010
    #16
    I just picked up a refurbed Wi-Fi 9.7 Pro for $419 to complement my 12.9

    Just do it man - it's not going to get outdated anytime soon, especially with the A9X
     
  17. darkarn macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2017
    Location:
    Singapore
    #17
    Actually, I am more worried that the new iPad will not have headphones out, which makes buying a current model instead of waiting a legit move too
     
  18. CoriG macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2011
    #18
    That is a great deal. Where did you get it?
     
  19. Jd3774life macrumors regular

    Jd3774life

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2013
    Location:
    Kansas City
    #19
    I am in a similar boat, but have been waiting for the new 12.9" version since the 12.9v1 was announced.. the problem is, the 12.9" version is even more outdated than the 9.7" so I feel i'd be dumb to not wait it out :oops:
     
  20. rowspaxe macrumors 68000

    rowspaxe

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2010
    #20
    I am waitng for ipad pro 10.5. I would buy the 9.7 for $399, but I doubt it will discount that much.
    Also, he apple/ipad aftermarket is grossly inflated in my opinion. I am buying used only at a 50-60% discount--even then--who needs the hassle. Earlier post citing factory refurb at $419 looks like a smart pick up
     
  21. davidinva macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2009
    Location:
    Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, USA
    #21
    Thinking the same thing. I am saving for the current model and Pencil and hope the price fell another $100 if a new model came out. Best Buy had a sale price of $599 for the 128GB WiFi model a couple of weeks ago and I missed it.
     

Share This Page