Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How much WOULD you pay for the new iPhone 8? Poll

• $600 to $800 because it is not worth a penny more

Votes: 69 28.4%
  • $900 to *1100 about the same cost of my 7+

Votes: 133 54.7%
  • $1200 - $1400 I will pay more if it does more

Votes: 21 8.6%
  • $1500 - Sky is the limit - do not care, I GOT TO HAVE IT!

Votes: 20 8.2%

• Total voters

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Ideally, I'd pay $999 plus tax. I'm starting to think it will start at 128gb and be a $130 over the 7 Plus ($869 for 128gb).

With that being said, I'd probably be out at anything over this.

Christoffer Nguyen

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2017
Sweden
iPhones here in Sweden is pretty expensive, iPhone 7 Plus 256 GB costs around $1300. $1400 is the limit for me, and it must be damn good for that heavy price!

bliggs

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2012
Broken Arrow
My 7+ was $869. That's pretty much the most I'm willing to spend. Would rather spend a little less though, but I needed at least 128GB storage and the dual lens camera was the main reason I went for the + to begin with. Very glad that I did.

rockarollr

Suspended
Apr 3, 2010
USA
Apple is crazy if they think they are going to sell a lot of iPhones at a $999+ price point. I reluctantly spent $869 (plus tax... plus a $50 Apple leather case) on my iPhone 7 Plus. That is, without a doubt, my personal upper limit. As for anyone else, if you willingly pay $1,100 or more for a frickin' phone... you are just sending Apple the message that they can charge whatever they want and get it. There needs to be a reasonable upper limit set by the market (us!). The only way to establish that upper limit is with our wallet and purchasing decisions over time. If they're not moving their overpriced phones out of their stores at the expected pace, then Apple will have no choice but to adjust upper-end iPhone pricing accordingly. They have done it before and I believe they would do it again, if necessary.

For God's sake, people, send Apple the message that their sh**... ehem... stuff... is already priced high enough!

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Apple is crazy if they think they are going to sell a lot of iPhones at a $999+ price point. I reluctantly spent $869 (plus tax... plus a $50 Apple leather case) on my iPhone 7 Plus. That is, without a doubt, my personal upper limit. As for anyone else, if you willingly pay $1,100 or more for a frickin' phone... you are just sending Apple the message that they can charge whatever they want and get it. There needs to be a reasonable upper limit set by the market (us!). The only way to establish that upper limit is with our wallet and purchasing decisions over time. If they're not moving their overpriced phones out of their stores at the expected pace, then Apple will have no choice but to adjust upper-end iPhone pricing accordingly. They have done it before and I believe they would do it again, if necessary.

For God's sake, people, send Apple the message that their sh**... ehem... stuff... is already priced high enough!

We will put you down as a maybe for the $1500!:)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
$900 to $1100, about the same as my 6s+. (never wanted, never got the7+).

I make the following assumptions.

• The physical design will be different.
• For the price I am paying I am getting the highest capacity model ('cause that's what I've been paying to get in past years)

Both assumptions must be true. If either is false, Huawei gets my money next year.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
$900 to $1100, about the same as my 6s+. (never wanted, never got the7+).

I make the following assumptions.

• The physical design will be different.
• For the price I am paying I am getting the highest capacity model ('cause that's what I've been paying to get in past years)

Both assumptions must be true. If either is false, Huawei gets my money next year.

To tell you the truth, I would not mind have a 7S+ with an OLED display. I know I am just hoping but I rather like the 7+ phone and am getting somewhat concerned about the 8. Times will tell and we have lots of time left!

Last edited:

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
I got my 7 plus in February so am not going to upgrade this year. If I did, I'd be looking at the same price point I got my 7 plus 256 GB phone. No way I would pay a price approaching that of a lower end iMac (I got the middle level 27 inch in January).

Reactions: KeanosMagicHat

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I would pay up to $800, but that's about it. Anything more than that and I'll happily keep my current devices or just upgrade to the 7s.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Right around a $1000 is my limit.
What I will be curious about is the margin on these.
If the margin is significantly slimmer due to component cost AND it has some serious improvements that would take advantage of iOS11... I might go a bit higher. Maybe...

Reactions: Hitch22

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Right around a $1000 is my limit.
What I will be curious about is the margin on these.
If the margin is significantly slimmer due to component cost AND it has some serious improvements that would take advantage of iOS11... I might go a bit higher. Maybe...

How's your buying decision relevant to how much profit the company is making? Surely it should be direct it related to if it's worth it for you.

So you will only spend more if they are making less profit?

Exactly what I was thinking.

Reactions: Applejuiced

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
So you will only spend more if they are making less profit?
How's your buying decision relevant to how much profit the company is making? Surely it should be direct it related to if it's worth it for you.

You take one point and are omissive of the others and and make it the message? :rolleyes:

If I find a product like an expensive mobile device has a very high margin I will discount it as a main choice. I'll look at alternative options.

In this case, if it costs more to make, and that was due to a seriously improved product, I would expand my high end price point.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hitch22

geta

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2010
The Moon
I'm guessing i'm minority here, but $600-$700 (around €600) is the max i would pay for the latest model. As much as i would like to have the latest and the greatest, for my needs i can’t justify more than that for a phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.