Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How much WOULD you pay for the new iPhone 8? Poll

• $600 to $800 because it is not worth a penny more

Votes: 69 28.4%
  • $900 to *1100 about the same cost of my 7+

Votes: 133 54.7%
  • $1200 - $1400 I will pay more if it does more

Votes: 21 8.6%
  • $1500 - Sky is the limit - do not care, I GOT TO HAVE IT!

Votes: 20 8.2%

• Total voters

magicMac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2010
UK
If Apple made a phone that had virtually continuous power then my answer to this question would have been quite different. The iPhone 7 and a number of modern smartphones have perfectly great cameras, performance and screens. But how great can any of them be if they can’t last a day of heavy usage.

Reactions: Donfor39

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I think it's all going to depend on what features are announced and if people are attracted to the iPhone 8 (which i think they will) personally I'm looking forward to seeing what they announce next month, a lot has leaked tho over the last few months and now we are getting a clearer picture as to what will be announced next month

https://randomrepeat.wordpress.com/2017/08/02/iphone-8-the-leaks-so-far/

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/aug/01/apple-41-million-iphone-8-stocks-trading-tim-cook

Even Apple themselves are expecting the iPhone 8 to be huge according to the sales they expect for the next quarter.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/iphone-8-sales-projections,news-25580.html

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
I feel like we should clarify if we are voting for how much would would pay, or what we want the price to be. I want the price to be the same as the current phones. I would probably pay up to 1200 depending on what features are added.

$1500 is really kind of pushing it unless there is a subsidy from somewhere.

Nipommu

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2011
Didn't have a new phone since the iPhone 6 and I was going to get the 7 but the design was the same as the 6. So nope. 3 years without a new design you could say I can shell out 1200-1400 for it IF it has all the features that has been going around.

NBAasDOGG

Suspended
May 27, 2017
Netherlands
I feel like we should clarify if we are voting for how much would would pay, or what we want the price to be. I want the price to be the same as the current phones. I would probably pay up to 1200 depending on what features are added.

$1200 - $1500.... WOW...

I feel like your avatar is a perfect representation of your brain :D

But jokes aside, the main thing that we know is that most of the 'Features' will have existed, been used and enjoyed by users of other O.S.'s and yet claim that it's 'Innovate'.
How does this justify anything more than the current Galaxy S8 price?

PaladinGuy

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
$1200 - $1500.... WOW...

I feel like your avatar is a perfect representation of your brain :D

But jokes aside, the main thing that we know is that most of the 'Features' will have existed, been used and enjoyed by users of other O.S.'s and yet claim that it's 'Innovate'.
How does this justify anything more than the current Galaxy S8 price?

I don't think it justifies it, from a consumer perspective. From a production scale, I understand that it's harder and more expensive to produce the number of iPhones that are sold compared to the number of phones Samsung sells.

That said, for me to pay over $1000, it would have to really be impressive and add something that is practically useful right now, not three years from now.

NBAasDOGG

Suspended
May 27, 2017
Netherlands
I don't think it justifies it, from a consumer perspective. From a production scale, I understand that it's harder and more expensive to produce the number of iPhones that are sold compared to the number of phones Samsung sells.

That said, for me to pay over $1000, it would have to really be impressive and add something that is practically useful right now, not three years from now.

Oke, fair enough...
I can agree with you now.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

My upper limit is $1200 all inclusive. That said, whether it will be worth the additional cost to me versus the alternatives is a separate matter altogether.

fathergll

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2014
People will pay a $1000 and way more. You need to step out of the box and realize that $1000 is pocket change to some and other would go with out eating to afford the latest and greatest. The 8 will sell very well.

The 8 will be over $1200. Heck my 7+ with tax was over $1000 so I bet the 7S+ might cost the same as my 7+ But you can bet the 8 will demand at least a $200 premium for the entry model.

I agree. They won't have any issues selling them and if the indications about a supply problem are true they will sell out day 1. The thing up until this point phones are bought by just about everyone so there hasn't been any exclusivity about them to begin with. A barista making $9 per hour is walking around with the same iPhone 7 as a multi million athlete. The 8 might price itself out from some people but it won't matter, they will move a lot of units no matter what. If something is in demand people will buy it. The biggest boxing ppv of all time is Mayweather vs Pacquaio. They sold 4.4 million ppvs at $100 which is 2 million more ppvs then the previous record. It shattered all records and people couldn't believe at the time you could charge $100 for a ppv. They were wrong. Never underestimate the public.....

Reactions: Newtons Apple

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I agree. They won't have any issues selling them and if the indications about a supply problem are true they will sell out day 1. The thing up until this point phones are bought by just about everyone so there hasn't been any exclusivity about them to begin with. A barista making $9 per hour is walking around with the same iPhone 7 as a multi million athlete. The 8 might price itself out from some people but it won't matter, they will move a lot of units no matter what. If something is in demand people will buy it. The biggest boxing ppv of all time is Mayweather vs Pacquaio. They sold 4.4 million ppvs at $100 which is 2 million more ppvs then the previous record. It shattered all records and people couldn't believe at the time you could charge $100 for a ppv. They were wrong. Never underestimate the public.....
Except, it seems, when it comes to paying for apps. ;)

http://theoatmeal.com/blog/apps

3.png

4.png

5.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.