How often do/would you really send MMS?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by uberamd, Jul 2, 2009.

?

Is MMS a must have or do you just want it because its new?

1. Must have, I would use it every day!! People want the pix I take!!!!!

78 vote(s)
    29.5%
  2. I want it mainly because its a new feature, probably won't use it much.

38 vote(s)
    14.4%
  3. I would occasionally use it but still want it REALLY bad

87 vote(s)
    33.0%
  4. I would never use it, and don't care about it.

45 vote(s)
    17.0%
  5. Just show me the poll results!

16 vote(s)
    6.1%
  1. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

I see this outcry for MMS. And while I do think MMS is cool, even when I had it I found myself sending only a few MMS messages a month, at the most. Basically it boiled down to the fact that besides the "zomg does this work???" MMS message, nobody I know really cares to get MMS messages. I know lots of people with MMS, and its hardly ever used. I had no idea MMS was as popular as it seems to be here.

So I am curious, is MMS really something that you use on a daily basis or do you just want it because its something new?

2. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

I'd use it maybe once every three months. Definitely something I could live without.

3. iGuardian macrumors 6502a

iGuardian

I've never found a real use for it. If I needed to send a photo or something why wouldn't I just email it? That way they can use it on their computers too, and it's not stuck on their phone (assuming the recipient doesn't have an iPhone)

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It is that I would send it so much as when I receive it, it sucks. The #1 culprit of sending me MMS is my mom. She now has an iPhone so problem solved. Take the tool away from the monkey and they'll stop being the cause of your headache.

5. clearchaos macrumors regular

clearchaos

i recieve pictures and videos from my friends on an almost daily basis. it's annoying to have to get on my computer to view them.

6. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

I use it a few times/month, not a great amount

Until there is a similar way of doings things, that works the same, MMS is a great addition

7. orange42 macrumors 6502a

I would probably use it daily, whether it's sending or receiving.

8. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Tell them to send them to your email, problem solved.

9. mrtune macrumors 6502a

When it becomes available on AT&T, I will use it daily. I text regularly with friends and family. Sure most of us are iPhone owners and we currrently email, but none of us like that approach. I would rather not have to leave the sms app, go check my email, then come back and reply to whatever pic was sent. To cumbersome for me. I would much rather have said picture in line with the rest of the texts, and not cluttering my inbox.

The instant popup text notifications are infinitely better than using email, which has no popup and a sound that is very quite and is not push (gmail). Add to that, due to crappy battery life, I do not set email at 15 min intervals, I use an hour.

I say bring on MMS!

10. uberamd thread starter macrumors 68030

uberamd

Do you mind if I ask you how old you are (feel free to say Middle School, High School, College, etc). In college, I don't think I have ever seen any of my friends take or send a MMS message before. Maybe its a early teen thing now?

11. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I have never wantd to send an MMS.

I get one from a friend about once per year.

I'm fine without it.

12. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

I've had MMS on o2 for maybe a 6 years now and I've used it a grand total of once. Completely useless feature to send sub-par quality photos.

13. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

most of the friends are probably on phones that dont email, or they dont have everyones email stored. they just have phone numbers stored because after all they are on a PHONE. i hate people acting like email is just as easy or acting like it is a considerable workaround. face it, email is not as convenient as MMS and should not have to be used to replace it.

14. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Weirdo.

And I mean that in the nicest possible way. :)

15. WannaApple? macrumors 6502a

Ive never had a reason to use it and wouldnt care whether it was added or not. I really dont even text that much either. I heard that Rogers was already charging 50 cents per MMS, so if AT&T charges for it as well, I really wont use it.

16. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

They don't have to have a email account on the phone to send a email message.

17. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

I sometimes use it. It's just nice to say you have to your friends lol

18. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I don't think it really matters how old one is. There's a lot of people that don't have smartphones. So, for those that don't (and that has nothing to do with age), they're going to send a MMS from their non-smartphone and we're not going to be able to open it. It's annoying.

19. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

You don't have to have a smartphone to send an email.

20. Crotalus_Joe macrumors regular

I could see myself sending 5-10 pics per week, especially since my wife and i work odd shifts and dont always get to see each other a lot, it is cool to be able to send pics of things the kids do or we see.

Some of the stuff that i have sent via MMS in the past include a haristyle my daughter wanted. I was getting the boys a haircut and my daughter decided she wanted a no hair style - well Dad doesnt make those decisions so i pulled out the handy dandy HTC 8525, took a pic of the book and zapped it to my wife for approval. Now on the iphone i would have to go into settings, turn on my personal email, exit out, take the pic, click send, add her mms.att.net address, choose the correct email to send through, edit my sig since it is work related and send the pic.

Also being color "dumb" (i can see colors, just cant always tell what they are) MMS has proved quite valuable when shopping, take a pic of clothing combo, send to wife, buy the set that matches :)

i dont use every feature of the phone everyday, but i want ones that i do use there when i want them. heck there are days that i dont make a phone call, guess that feature is useless too

21. SephirothXR macrumors 6502

Not much at all really, maybe one or two circumstances will come up where I will send them, but a lot of my friends have iPhones and I just email the pics to them so the quality doesn't suffer.

Kind of reminds me when I first got my iPhone 3G and I went to Miami the next day, I kept sending these really cool pictures (beach, highway, sun) to my friend who had also just gotten an iPhone 3G in Miami. I must have sent him at least 50 pictures through the 3G network via email, all at fully quality, I'm sure AT&T wasn't happy with me lol. Put it this way: if you send it through email, the picture will never be lost, you can always download it again from your sent mail.

22. uberamd thread starter macrumors 68030

uberamd

No I was asking because he said his friends send him MMS all the time. And for my age group (20-25 years old) I haven't ever seen MMS being sent, even on a college campus. So I was asking what age group MMS really appeals to.

23. Crotalus_Joe macrumors regular

Hmm how about 39, having a family it is pretty cool to share pics quickly and easily

24. Que macrumors 6502

completely useless feature FOR YOU.

as i don't see my daughter every day it's nice to get pictures of what she's doing, her mother doesn't email so i get them via mms. excellent quality when viewed on the iphone too, to call them sub-par is just showing more ignorance.

i love the attitude on here sometimes, if someone doesn't use a feature then it's useless, they seem to think that the iphone was developed solely for them, "well i don't use this feature, remove it immediately if not sooner!".

25. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Maybe, um, once every few years? :p Last time someone sent me a MMS I was on my old dumbphone that was perfectly capable of MMS - but the person was sending pics from Sprint -> AT&T which didn't work too well at the time (pics came through but were super tiny like 80px wide or something, unviewable pretty much). Ended up having to have them emailed anyway. So my view on MMS has kind of been skewed by those olden days. I'd rather do everything through email if possible, much more convenient (as long as the other party has a email w/pics capable device).