iPad How often do you update your iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by saintforlife, Feb 24, 2015.

1. saintforlife macrumors 6502a

Once in two years, three years? Would I be right in assuming that people upgrade their smartphones much faster than they do tablets?

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I updated my iPad 2 to the Air 2 after three years.

My phones get updated every two years when the contract runs out.

3. Chocolatemilty macrumors 6502a

How often do you update your iPad?

I just upgraded my launch day mini 1 to a mini 2 yesterday, so just over 2 years there, although the jump from mini 1 to mini 2 was pretty substantial. The mini 4 (God-willing) may make me upgrade even faster than before, but I'll most likely keep that one for over 3 years.

For the phone, I'm still on a launch day 4S. Yes, I know. I had updated the battery and with iOS 8 it is still going strong for me. I'll be upgrading to the 6 next month, so over 4 years there.

Just realized I'm an exception to the rule. Hahaha...

4. oldmacs macrumors 68040

Most people I know are on iPad 2s, 3s or 4s - and most are also not looking to update, so yes longer usage cycles on the iPad than the iPhone. I have had my iPad 2 for 3 years (Bought it at a massive discount when the iPad 3 came out) and I plan keeping it to at least the end of the year. Pending iOS 9 support, I may keep it till the end of 2016.

5. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I bought the iPad 1, 2,3, Air and Air 2 on release days.

I think I'll keep this one for 2 years unless theres a really significant update.

6. iGeek2014 macrumors 68000

I upgraded from the iPad 2 through iPad 4 within months of the devices being announced.

I'm currently using a iPad rMini 2 which I've owned since December 2013. Unless Apple update it significantly I'll probably keep it for a little bit longer.

7. smooth macrumors 6502

smooth

My wife and I still have iPad 3s which are 3 years old. My kids have iPad Minis which are 2 years old. They are the first iPads for all of us. All 4 of us are planning on upgrading next year. The iPad Minis could probably last another year but they have 16 GB models and I am CONSTANTLY deleting stuff or restoring them because there is just not enough space on them.

8. dmarch macrumors regular

dmarch

iPad cycle

LOL! I just ordered a 64GB iPad Air2 to replace my painfully slow, but still functioning, original iPad!

9. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Ipad 2 to the Air. Excellent upgrade. The Air is such a good tablet that not only did I skip the Air 2 but will likely wait another generation and skip the Air 3.

Just no reason to keep updating these tablets like those dumb phones where people get new ones every three days, LOL. :D

10. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

My phones every two years, but now with NEXT maybe 1.5 years? We'll see what's out there.
    I would like to update my iPad every year however I have not. And even though I have two iPads, a 32gb iPad mini with retina display, and a 32 gb iPad Air 1, I mostly use the Mini so that is the one I'd like to update, but Apple didn't give me that opportunity this past fall. So.. I guess every 2 years by default. I did have an iPad 3 before the Air 1 and a Mini before the retina version.
    The Air 1 has its place in my life as a musical score holder, but no reason to upgrade for that use. It will serve that purpose for years to come. I guess the passage of time is not a factor in my upgrading decisions.

11. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

We will see. I'm still rocking the original iPad Mini.

12. rosario1990 macrumors regular

13. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

14. Beelzbub macrumors regular

iPad 2 16 GB to iPad mini 3 128 GB. The iPad 2 still works good, I gave it to my daughter and she mostly uses it for watching Neflix.

15. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Wow that's going to be one hell of an upgrade for you! You will be amazed at the difference. I could tell the difference in weight between the iPad Air and Air 2 so I can't imagine how much difference you will feel between the original iPad and the Air 2. When will it arrive for you?

16. Bomb Bloke macrumors regular

Bomb Bloke

My Mini is still running fine under iOS 6. I don't think I'll see any need to replace it until such time as it breaks.

17. iPadDad macrumors 6502

iPadDad

18. HarryWarden macrumors 6502a

Every other generation is the current cycle I've been on. I have the Air 1 and won't be upgrading until the Air 3 most likely.

19. aneftp macrumors 68040

I have purchased every ipad.

Ipad 1, 2, 3, 4 ($40 target gift card in November 2012) all on launch days.

Ipad Air and iPad air 2 I waited 3-4 weeks till Black Friday and got $100 and $140 target gift cards.

So I update every year.

Can't see me updating to iPad Air 3. I own one iPad air 1. And 2 iPad Air 2. Didn't really need extra the iPad air 2. But one of my kids cracked the iPad air 1 and didn't feel worth it for $80-100 non authorized screen repair or pay Apple $300 for replacement.

20. Uofmtiger macrumors 68000

Uofmtiger

I bought the Original, 3rd, and Air 2. I am not really on a schedule. I just wait to see if there is enough added to make it worthwhile. In the case of the Air2, I mainly bought it to get 64GB since I was up against the 32GB wall on my iPad 3. However, I waited one extra generation to get TouchID. The lack of this feature was the main reason I didn't get the first Air.

21. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

I kept my iPhone 4S three years
    I'll have had my iPad 3 for 3.5 years when I upgrade to the iPad Air 3

22. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

23. mgipe macrumors demi-god

mgipe

iPad 1, ipad 3 retina, iPad Air 2

iPhone 3GS, iphone 4S, iphone 6S?

24. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

I owned the iPad 1 for a year, upgraded to the 2 and kept it for 3 years, and most recently have a mini 2. As long as the iPad runs the latest iOs well, and the iPad 2 didn't, I'll keep it. I'm not a power user by any means.

25. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I'm terrible. I update my phone and ipad every year. I always tell myself I will keep my ipad a really long time, but I end up caving and upgrade.

I will not upgrade my Air 2...unless the ipad pro is real :)