Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

longthizzz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
just got my mbp and i have been read mix things about shutting down the mac

i went to the apple store m and they said i should shut it down while others say they never shut it down since they brought it

idk im a newbie mac user

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
When at home and docked I leave it on all the time. When traveling I usually turn it off unless I'm going to be using it again within a day. This is change from before I had a SSD as the startup and shutdown time was too large. Since it now boots in 15 seconds I turn it off.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland

i went to the apple store m and they said i should shut it down while others say they never shut it down since they brought it

idk im a newbie mac user

Those response plus those here probably indicate it doesn't really matter....I tend to shut mine down only when it needs it, i.e. a sw install/update or I suspect an issue.

Scott7975

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2013
I bought mine in October. I have not shut it off yet except for the quick shut downs during updates, or reboots to swap between win 7 and osx. It stays in standbye when not in use.

longthizzz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
I bought mine in October. I have not shut it off yet except for the quick shut downs during updates, or reboots to swap between win 7 and osx. It stays in standbye when not in use.
yah that what i was planning on doing for mines

does anyone see a downside on it

applehead12

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2013
Only when needed. Which usually means it stays on or in standby mode for 90+ days at a time.

Jnesbitt82

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2013
Ohio
I hardly ever do a full shutdown. The only benefit(if you want to call it that) I've seen to shutting it down is it closes out some programs I've left running and forgot about.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The only time I shut my rMBP down is to travel, otherwise its on 100% of the time. I'll put it into sleep, but not shut down.

DiCaprioAngel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
New York
I shut mine down every day (in the morning after use before I go to work and at night before I go to bed). I don't see the need to keep it on, even in standby mode, because it's just a waste of energy since I'm obviously not using it and it just makes me feel better to know that it's off and not wasting battery. That's just my $.02 though. Everyone has different opinions and beliefs on whether or not they should shut off their computer or not, but I do because it gives me the piece of mind.

Chuck Rodent

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2014
Mine is docked to the TB display and on all the time. Since it only goes to the office for the day when not docked, there is no need to turn it off.

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
Now that I seem to have exorcised most of the Mavericks ghosts, I only shut down (reboot) for updates--which in this case was the last OS update.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit

idk im a newbie mac user

I never, ever, shut my Mac's off. The only exception is if there is a severe thunderstorm approaching. Then I turn all my electronics off and unplug them from the wall until the storm passes.

However, with the MBP, I just unplug it and leave it.

Otherwise, I just put all of my Mac's to sleep and I've been doing this for many years.

mhdena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2009
For 8 yrs I never shut down my Macbook or Imac.

Now though I started shutting down my new Imac Fusion and Macbook Pro SSD, because I use passwords to log in.

Just going to sleep doesn't seem to require passwords.

Marty62

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2010
Berlin formerly London
+1 for shutting down every day.

I have forgotten once or twice but otherwise all my computers are turned
off overnight.

I don't know if it's good/bad either way, it's just what I do.

I know that it used to be the case that pro recording studios NEVER turned their
systems off .... stopped "power up/down" issues !!

MM.

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012
I think I read this on the APPLE site, APPLE recommends to restart the mac every 3 days ?

Scott7975

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2013
For 8 yrs I never shut down my Macbook or Imac.

Now though I started shutting down my new Imac Fusion and Macbook Pro SSD, because I use passwords to log in.

Just going to sleep doesn't seem to require passwords.

Must be something in your settings. Every time I raise my lid I have to enter a password.

Robisan

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2014
Seems to me one benefit of shutting down at least every few days is it clears out your RAM (I'm coming from a Window environment where that matters). Don't know enough about OSX processes and RAM usage but I'd think if you only have 4gb of RAM or if your RAM utilization regularly approaches your limit then periodic reboots would benefit.

vmflapem

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2013
Um.. it takes <25 seconds to turn it off AND turn it back on.
So why not just shut it off when not using it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.