How old is your MBP and how much do you love or hate it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by geniusABBY, Dec 26, 2010.

1. geniusABBY macrumors newbie

I've been hemming and hawing about opening up my brand new 13" MBP wondering if I should wait a month or so for any updates. I was about to rip open the tape when my dad had me second guessing myself again saying that he would wait since Core Duo will be discontinued.

So I am just wondering if you guys are still loving your "outdated" machines? They still alive and kicking? Any chance that they can support video editing?

Thanks

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your Mac will work just fine for many years to come, as long as you take care of it. Mine is almost 3 years old and I have no need whatsoever to replace it. It still runs as fast and trouble-free as when brand new. Yes, it will support video editing and probably anything you could ever think of doing with it.

Open the box.

3. newbiemacguy128 macrumors regular

Most people won't fully utilize a processor, so no it won't really matter that much. Unless of course you plan on doing a lot of transcoding or processor intensive tasks.

Since you didn't mention it, the only reason i'd wait for any update is if I play PC games. Problem with that is...graphics card updates are usually pretty underwhelming, haha =).

In short, unless you want more processing power that you probably won't use and a minor bump in the graphics card, open it (SSD might be in the next MBP, but thats user replaceable anyways).

4. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

I got my refurbished macbook pro back in August of 2009 (see sig).

LOVE IT! And it does EVERYTHING I need it to do - including quite a bit of HD editing with the full suite of Final Cut Pro.

5. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

Got a 13" from September 2009. It has done everything I have asked of it, and that has not always been insignificant. Love it.

6. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

my macbook pro is one week old (got it on Saturday the 18th)
    now do i love it or hate it.
    hmm.. i came to mac from PC, and i still use my PC too.
    but either way... I LOVE IT!!

the keyboard is much better to type on, and there are less typos for me (i type fast but sometimes have a lot of typos :p)

one con though i have is the heat in the bottom plate. it irks and quirks me, but oh well its a notebook, its meant to get hot :( sigh... but i still love it..
    the C2D in the MBP competes with my PC QuadCore! and im fairly impressed

to be honest, C2D is not outdated. it is the 26th of December. i have 5 days until my C2D becomes outdated, and i intend to enjoy those moments :)
    as far as 2011 goes, pssh who cares.. i feel bad for those who are waiting. they are waiting like lovers for a piece of technology to emerge and give them presence :rolleyes: :D

here i am enjoying my "outdated" model and there they are moaning and groaning, waiting for their "love" to emerge. haha so ill have my laughs for now, but its a computer so even when the new MBP comes out with better features and cool design, etc. i really wont care cuz i got to enjoy my MBP earlier than they did :p

PS. this is for kicks and laughs.. if i offend anyone, deeply, truly sorry :p [not sure how convincing :p is but it a dude sticking out his tongue, its hilarious!)

now lets get serious OP.
    what is wrong with you? wow. im disappointed, truly. You dare leave a MBP lying in the box and WAIT for ONE MONTH!!!!! [lol sry im in a happy, jovial mood right now, this is also for kicks and laughs :p)

ok now seriously lets get serious (no joke :|)
    umm., i think you should just open it up and start using it. we dont know when its going to come out, we have no clue except for SB and some other things, but still i doubt that anything will appear in a month.. the chances are really rare and slim... trust me rip that box off your MBP and use it like no other! the C2D may not be as "amazing" as the SB, but its still 1 hell of a machine... besides people still sue intel celeron chips today even though those are horrible and ridiculously basic.. so technically

7. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

I've had my 15" unibody since 08'. I love it. It does more than I need it for. I can't ever complain. I'll use it until I can't. ;)

8. geniusABBY thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha. Shyam09 I know, I know shame on me!

I just about tore my dad's throat out for making me doubt myself. I love these speculation websites, but sometimes they are just plain torturous (sp?) with people tearing apart your purchase.

I haven't been following Apple for long but I sw on cnet that the ipad 2 is coming out within the next 100 days, like in February. Does that mean an apple conference is happening in Feb? Do conferences usually happen with the release of new products?

Bc I can wait til Feb...maybe.

9. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

Santabean2000

I have a MBP 13" from late 2009. I must say, in its original state it was ok, but now that I've done some upgrades, this thing is pretty sweet.

It now sports 8GB RAM, an Intel SSD (boot) + (original) 160GB drive in OWC Data Doubler and is hooked up to a 20" display.

This is my work computer; I'll often have 15 or more apps open and it seems to take it all in it's stride (now).

A few things that bother me a bit though:
    *glossy display, (on a portable, don't mind on iMac)
    *trackpad no longer clicks (neither does either of my two work colleagues)
    *weight (esp compared to wife's new MBA)

10. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

My 15" is more than 2 years old, it's still one of the pre unibodies. I bought it when the unibodies came out and got a huge discount. I have to say I like the old design more, with the Firewire 400 + 800 ports, the expresscard slot, the all silver keyboard, etc. It's not much slower than newer machines and I'll keep it until it breaks.

11. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

its way too hard to predict... sometimes apple should just let people know that "heads up we have a product coming up" but it would ruin their business, apparently they care more for $$$ and less for the tearings of our hearts :p

the macrumor mantra for buying is wait if you can wait and buy now if you need it.

ill assure you this much: the next gen model is going to be better than this model, and then the one after the upcoming model is going to be better than the upcoming model. in order of worst to best:
    current gen
    next gen
    next next gen
    next next next gent
    next next next next gent
    next next next next next gent
    and so on and so forth :rolleyes:

either way you are going to get a "crappy" / "outdated" model. if not now, then in the future.

i think i mentioned it already, but i got my MBP last saturday (19th) and it was a huge debate whether or not i should wait. i internally wanted it badly, but i knew that waiting would bring out the betterness in features. but i went ahead and bought it, and well im happy. sure SB is better faster etc. but 2 years from 2011 Intel will come out with something better than SB (heck maybe a couple of months later or a year later)

the big reason why i bought my MBP recently is the waiting time. with waiting, youre doing nothing but hurting yourself. you get "addicted" to the rumors and youre anxious to find out more. i did the same. everyday i spent hours reading posts on future MBP updates, etc. so its from experience.
    the thing that was the final deciding point, besides the wait time was the quality of the product. typically many people go out and buy the laptops as soon as they come out. i could have done the same, but in my case i wanted to know if the 1000 bucks are worth it. right now i have the top most information about the 13" MBP. i have reviews from anandtech, engadget, etc. but what about the MBP 2011? i have no idea. i would have to wait a while.when you buy a laptop this expensive and if youre not exactly Steve Jobs you kinda have to walk carefully when you buy things. people buy and return, but its still a waste. so thats why i stuck with the current gen. sure its outdated CPU, but hell im happy with my basic tasking, and movie making.. SB will be better, but HOW better? i dont know yet, and why wait wait to find out that perhaps there is a small difference (im just saying, i have no idea about the diff)

this also plays a role in how old you are, what major/career you are in, college/HS/ middle school, etc. [please kindly post, so i can help further :) ]

the reason why i bought mine now is because im 100% positive i can upgrade the RAM and the HDD myself. who knows what apple will do to the MBP's, they might make it flash blades (doubt it, though it is always going to be a small possibility)... what if apple takes away the ability to upgrade the HDD?
    my personal thinking is i wait till Lion comes out and then i buy Lion, upgrade my drive to SSD (hoping that SSD's are cheaper) and then get some lovely 8GB ram, and lo! a lovely computer thats old, but works like NEW- maybe faster than MBP 2011?

sry for the long post.
    ok im sleepy now. good night
    *waves goodbye*
    :D
    :apple::apple::eek::(;):D:eek::p:cool::rolleyes::mad::apple::apple:

12. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

yes weight is a big factor. but then again the MBP has much more features than the air, and although heavier it still performs faster (well now that you upgraded it :p)

i guess we have ot sacrifice some quirks if we want better features?!?

13. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

Santabean2000

True, life is all about opportunity cost.

I do love the dual drive setup I have now, means I can edit (small) video projects on the go.

In my opinion, it's only a matter of time before this becomes standard on all MBPs. Having axed the optical drive from my machine I must say I have not missed it once. A little Terminal typing and Remote Disk can be anyones.

14. geniusABBY thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the responses!

I am a senior in HS trying to buy my comp that will last through college. I have no idea what I'll be majoring in--I'm interested in television or movie production but don't know if that will go anywhere. I'm also interested learning more about computers, interested in the computer sciences. But also British Lit, lol.

See? Ultimately, I have no idea what the next 4 years will involve. Since money is tight I want this purchase to be the best. But I'm trying to do the impossible by trying to make my purchase suit my needs when I don't even know what my needs are yet!

The baseline 13" matches my university's min. requirements (I got accepted today-YAY!), but I'm thinking with the tech stuff I'll need more power. Then again, I can't imagine the school expects me to drop $20000 on a supercomputer. I imagine that is what the computer labs are for!

Regardless, I think I'll love joining the mac family. I'm just OCD with any major purchase--I'm a super saver. Not the best spender (unless it's on other people!) :)

Okay...sorry for rambling. I'm clueless on this stuff but I enjoy researching all this nonetheless. Goodnight!:D

15. geniusABBY thread starter macrumors newbie

Ooh. Not signing off yet...

I have heard many people not caring about their OD. To me that seems essential! I LOVE my CD collection and have to put them in my computer. Plus, I collect TV seasons and often watch them on my laptop. I thought that was the norm to use discs.

Just curious: what do you do to work around the discs? Only mp3s? I sound like a granny possibly, but I don't feel comfortable with a purchase unless I have a hard copy to go with it.

I know I know...flash drives right?

16. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Flash Drives, External HD's, etc.

There's no reason you can't stick to using discs, at least for a good while. That's nothing to really worry about.

I've had my 13" MBP for 16 months now (had a white macbook. used it for 3 years until I accidentally killed it :( )

Anyways. Love my MBP. Does everything I want it to do, is still very fast, and everything still works as it did when it was brand new.

Open your MBP and enjoy the hell out of it :cool:.

17. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

Santabean2000

Not denying that peole still need an optical drive from time to time, but rather, not EVERY computer needs to have one. Now that it's so easy to share drives and there are so many alternatives to CDs anyways, it makes sense to rid optical drives from machines where space is a premium, i.e. notebooks.

All you need is ONE optical drive in a (Mac) household and with remote disk every computer can share it. At work I am surrounded by computers with optical drives; my personal work computer does not need one of it's own.

18. T34418leONE macrumors member

Gotta say I love my 2007 (A1211 model) 2.33GHZ C2D.

Bought it used recently from a friend for $500 and just upgraded the HDD to a WD Scorpio Blue 640GB and prob will do the RAM later.

I love it, does everything I need, I put Snow Leopard on it and it's great. Does everything I need it too.

I'll have this till it dies and will stick with MBP's.

19. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

LOL I bought my 2009 uMBP in February of this year. Most people realize what this means...An upgrade came 2 months after I got it.

But guess what, it took less than that 2 months for me to figure out I love this machine.I couldn't care if the MBP was on a 3 month upgrade cycle, because the one I have works great and is more than I expected from my first Mac.

20. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

Mine is 2 years and 8 months old. I'm happy with what I was able to get at the time and I'm not really impressed by current offerings so you could say I'm still pleased. Very disappointed with the Nvidia issue, haven't had to send it back in yet but quite impressed with Apple's extended warranty. The only standout issue is the rubbish optical drive but I don't use that often so no big deal...

21. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

Santabean2000

Not denying that peole still need an optical drive from time to time, but rather, not EVERY computer needs to have one. Now that it's so easy to share drives and there are so many alternatives to CDs anyways, it makes sense to rid optical drives from machines where space is a premium, i.e. notebooks.

All you need is ONE optical drive in a (Mac) household and with remote disk every computer can share it. At work I am surrounded by computers with optical drives; my personal work computer does not need one of it's own.

22. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

true, very true. i just burned a collection of DVD's i had on my computer to some DVD's hoping i could watch them. up till now, i have only watched one movie at night through the DVD drive because i wanted to try it out. lol!

i made that stupid mistake in buying a TB HDD Desktop one, instead of a portable one (although the portable one was 500 GB and same price)

im just saving my money till next black friday (but more likely cyber monday) and gonna grab a portable one!!!

but being apple, im sure that they will still continue to have the ODD until the very end, when everything has literally become null and void, and maybe, just MAYBE introduce Blu-ray on the Mac for oh say another thousand bucks (*sarcasm*)

23. DIMEZ macrumors 6502a

DIMEZ

I had an early 2008 also, this was such a great laptop...i miss it at times. this silver keys did it.

24. DIMEZ macrumors 6502a

DIMEZ

I'm still in love with my 2008 unibody. I don't want to upgrade to 2010 and don't see me doing so unless this thing breaks.

25. trigonometry macrumors 6502

trigonometry

I purchased my 13" MBP in September. I don't think I can live without it now, literally. And I don't see myself lusting after newer models unless they totally reinvent the wheel. Plus, if some the compromising design decisions of the MBA are implemented in the new 13" MBP I would have kicked myself for not purchasing the current model. Who knows what Apple has in store for the next refresh? They could discontinue the 13" MBP model altogether!