How should Apple resolved the 2011 MacBook Pro video issue?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tubeexperience, Feb 22, 2016.

1. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

As many of you know by now, the 2011 MacBook Pro (15- and 17-inch) are notorious for the video issue.

Apple has launched the extended warranty program, but it is clear from reports of repeated GPU failures after the repairs that Apple is just kicking the can down the road.

So, how should Apple fixes the issue?

2. sparky1499 macrumors regular

sparky1499

Replace them with brand new models :)

3. tubeexperience thread starter macrumors 68030

I mean real solutions.

One is to redesign the cooling system.

For example, make new bottom covers with air intake holes.

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

They already have handled it with there extended repair program that is the end of it. They are now 5 years old and to be honest that is pretty much the end of any support for any computer made by any manufacturer they have no legal or other precedent to do anything more and they won't.

5. tubeexperience thread starter macrumors 68030

Reballing the GPU so that it fails a couple of months later isn't really a solution,

Also, the 2011 models could have been purchased well into 2012, so they are not as old as you think.

6. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

The issue's with the thermal paste, so this wouldn't do the trick.

7. tubeexperience thread starter macrumors 68030

I highly doubt it. If it is an issue with the thermal paste, the issue would have long been resolved.

8. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

They use refurbished boards, with the GPU reattached, yes they do fail again, but the computer is out of warranty and the repair is only guaranteed for 90 days.

All of of this is clearly stated in apples terms and conditions when you buy your Mac or AppleCare. It is no different than any other computer you can buy and Apple do more extensions And freebie replacements than anyone else they also amazingly have far better failure rates for their computers than anyone else despite these issues.

Basically any computer outside its warranty is a liability that can fail and will need to be fixed at the owners cost. That is life if you don't want to have that hanging over your head sell the machine and replace when the warranty is up or insure the computer yourself for failure and accidental damage and ignore AppleCare.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 22, 2016 ---
    And if you looked at the front page of mac rumours you would have seen this.

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/02/19/apple-extends-mbp-video-repair-program/

9. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

It's probably 50/50, AMD GPUs historically run hot so I'm sure they're partially to blame. However:

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads...ste-on-my-macbook-pro-amazing-results.199840/

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/fixing-the-2011-mbp-heat-issues.1103193/

And see lawsuit, namely page 4: http://files.www.wbmllp.com/news/cl...cbook-pro-laptops/mbp2011_Filed_Complaint.pdf

Screenshotted below.

Untitled.png

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple isn't about to re-engineer a 5 year old computer. They've gone and did the minimum and that is, have a repair program (which they've extended). Given that the age of the laptop, any repairs is done with previously failed logic boards (Apple is not manufacturing new 2011 logic boards).

11. tubeexperience, Feb 22, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2016

tubeexperience thread starter macrumors 68030

Are you serious? Apple denied and denied and denied some more that the issue exist until there are a class action lawsuit. The problem didn't just started to appear recently.

The logic board can be repaired successfully, the but the GPU unit needs to replaced.

The "it's a 5 years old computer" argument doesn't fly because the problem started a long time ago. It's not like the problem just started to appear.

The logic board can be repaired successfully, the but the GPU unit needs to replaced.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 22, 2016 ---
    Imagine if I sell you a car that has been a lemon from early on.

I denied that that problem even existed until years later.

I then issued a repair program got the car working again, but only for a few months and then it failed again.

Would your argument be?: "It's no big deal. It's an old car anyway."

12. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

That happens with cars all the time the manufacturers fix them over and over they never offer you a new car or do anything but keep fixing it.

Top of the range computers use new untested technology that are straight off the line. There is no way those chips and processes (in this case the swap to unleaded solder) can be tested over long periods of time before they are used. This is the risk you take everytime you buy a computer with new tech inside the same goes for all brand new electronics.

Computers are not expected to last more than 5-6 years for a mobile unit anyone who thinks otherrwise is living in cloud cuckoo land. 5 years for a car is just about run in but its deathbed time for a laptop, your analogy is irrelevant. The failure rates past 3 years are horrendous for all makes models and cost seems to have little relevance to reliability. This is why they have such low warranty times.

As I have already pointed out and had ignored despite this issue Apple computers are still more reliable than anybody else's in all surveys.

Apple admitted the problem and supported people long past their warranty and are continuing to do so if it was any other electronics company everyone would be praising their customer service. If the problem hits you 3 times they will give you a new machine this is unheard of for any other tech company also.

Admit it you wouldn't hold any other computer manufacturer to these standards so why should you do it for Apple???

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It does fly if your computer worked for 4+ years without an issue. I understand many people have had issues much earlier then 5 years but how much should apple expend resources to deal with a 5 year old computer which is my point.

14. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

That isn't a reasonable expectation on a computer that was introduced 5 years ago. You may not agree, and that's fine, our opinions obviously differ.

Apple is replacing the logic boards on affected units. They've even moved the end date on the repair extension out to the end of the year.

15. tubeexperience, Feb 22, 2016

Whatever it takes to actually fixes the actual problem.

This isn't a normal malfunction as a result of the computer aging, but an actual design defect.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What Apple is doing is to wait out the responsibility.

Let's say for the argument that the Mid 2015 MacBook Pro has a design defect and that Apple won't issue a repair program until 2020.

There were a number of complains before 2020, but Apple did nothing until then.

Why should Apple fix a five year old computer in 2020?

Because Apple AVOIDED the responsibility of actually fixing the problem for FIVE years.

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Well they have a procedure to fix it, you may not like it, but its one they decided to do. Personally I would not like either but that point is moot.

Agreed.

The repair program expires the end of the year, so it looks like this won't occur.

17. tubeexperience, Feb 22, 2016

That other thing Apple could is to replace it with the 2012 model.

It's only a year newer so it's not like it's going to be a big bonanza.

I would miss my 17-inch, but I would rather have one without a design defect.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    At the heart of the argument seems to be "Apple sold lemons, but it's okay because it happened 5 years ago".

18. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

In the case that a computer is repaired multiple times for the same defect, they can offer a replacement with the current model.

You're assuming that every 15" 2011 MBP will have GPU failure.

19. ABC5S macrumors 68040

Hey OP, give it a break. Nothing you posted will do anything for Apple to make changes to an old system. Apple did all its going to do, so why the ranting ?

So how should Apple handle this ? Ignoring you and others that rant further.

20. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

What responsibility is that? They're repairing affected computers until the end of 2016. This is 4-5 years after these computers were sold.

If you're not happy with the way Apple is handling it, don't buy Apple products.

21. caseyfriday macrumors member

caseyfriday

I paid $27 for an eBay seller to reball my 2011 17's GPU with lead solder. Worked great for the remainder of the time I had it, and since lead solder doesn't crack like non-lead solder, I'd guess I'd would last a long time before needing repair again.

22. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

23. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I won't say that Apple handled this well. I also won't say that they handled it poorly. There's lessons learned from this, that's all.

If it were me, now being affected by this issue a potential second time, they should be offering replacements on the second or third repair for the same defect. I wouldn't expect a comparable machine because that's not even reasonable for Apple. But if they offered me a new MBP with integrated graphics only? I'd take it.

24. coolant113 macrumors 6502

coolant113

After battling Apple for almost 2 months, back in January I convinced them to give me a brand new one. I had a 1TB drive in my previous machine so I made them custom build me a rMBP with 1TB flash inside of it and bump me to the highest spec processor wise. It took a long time and multiple levels of management of back and forth talking to, but I was successful. I advise everybody to just keep escalating it all the way up to Senior Apple Customer Relations. Those guys are very pleasant to deal with. During the whole process they even called me on Christmas Day to wish me a Merry Christmas and told me that they were continuing to work on it. Excellent customer service at that level.

25. ajcgn macrumors regular

ajcgn

I paid a lot more to have mine done 15 months ago.
    Still working, but my fingers are still crossed. With the Canadian dollar going down the tubes, a replacement machine will cost a fortune.