Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac.jedi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
The O.C.
Hi Mac.Jedi, I found this page a couple months ago, dug in then stalled worried that it was another "stale" project. Tonight I dug in again, and happened so see that there were 50+ more pages of comments, including many by you, and as current as today! So I'm really psyched you're still nursing this awesome project, and thanks!

Unfortunately I have an issue already. I just installed your most recent version, following the current instructions, on a mac mini running 10.8.5. I inserted a Thor BD and the rip worked well. I right clicked on the rip folder and chose the Encode service. It failed in several ways then deleted my Movies folder!! Gone, not even in the trash!! At the risk of making an insanely long post, I'll include the shell session here:

Last login: Mon Dec 2 00:16:21 on ttys000
Todds-MacMini:~ todd$ /Users/todd/Library/Application\ Support/Batch\ Rip/batchEncodeTmp.sh ; exit;

Processing Args passed from Batch Encode (Service).workflow
--verboseLog 1 --movieSearchDir /Users/todd/Movies/Batch:Rip:Movies --tvSearchDir /Users/todd/Movies/Batch:Rip:TV --outputDir /Users/todd/Movies/Batch:Encode --handBrakeCliPath /Applications/HandBrakeCLI --makemkvPath /Applications/MakeMKV.app --minTrackTimeTV 20 --maxTrackTimeTV 120 --minTrackTimeMovie 80 --maxTrackTimeMovie 180 --nativeLanguage eng --alternateLanguage none --useDefaultAudioTrack Default@Audio --addAdditionalAudioTracks None --useBurnedSubtitleTrack Auto@Detect --usePassthruSubtitleTracks None --mixdownAltTracks 1 --encode_1 1 --encode_2 0 --encode_3 0 --encode_4 0 --ignoreOptical 1 --growlMe 0 --videoKindOverride Movie --addiTunesTags 1 --retireExistingFile 0 --libraryFolder no:selection --retiredFolder no:selection --customArgs1 no@selection --customArgs2 no@selection --customArgs3 no@selection --customArgs4 no@selection --preset1 AppleTV@3 --preset2 Universal --preset3 AppleTV@2 --preset4 Universal /Users/todd/Movies/Batch:Rip:Movies

WARNING: HandBrakeCLI is currently listed as QUARANTINED because it's an application downloaded from the Internet. Will attempt to authorize, but Action may fail if the OS prevents the app from launching.

WARNING: mp4tags is currently listed as QUARANTINED because it's an application downloaded from the Internet. Will attempt to authorize, but Action may fail if the OS prevents the app from launching.

WARNING: AtomicParsley is currently listed as QUARANTINED because it's an application downloaded from the Internet. Will attempt to authorize, but Action may fail if the OS prevents the app from launching.

WARNING: SublerCLI is currently listed as QUARANTINED because it's an application downloaded from the Internet. Will attempt to authorize, but Action may fail if the OS prevents the app from launching.

WARNING: jq is currently listed as QUARANTINED because it's an application downloaded from the Internet. Will attempt to authorize, but Action may fail if the OS prevents the app from launching.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
batchEncode.sh v1.1.1 (280)

Start: Mon Dec 2 01:12:53 PST 2013
Input directory 1: /Users/todd/Movies/Batch Rip Movies
Input directory 2: /Users/todd/Movies/Batch Rip TV
Output directory: /Users/todd/Movies/Batch Encode
Use optical Drive: No
Use MakeMKV: No
Auto-add movie tags: Yes
Retire Existing File: No
Growl me when complete: No
Encode TV Shows between: 20-120 mins
Encode Movies between: 80-180 mins
Native Language: eng
Alternate Language: none
Use Disc's Default Audio Language: Yes
Add Additional Audio Tracks: No
Mixdown Additional Audio Tracks to 2CH: Yes
Burn-in Subtitle Track: Yes (Auto Detect)
Pass-thru Subtitle Tracks: No
Will Encode: Encode 1/AppleTV 3

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
VERBOSE MODE

WILL PROCESS THE FOLLOWING VIDEOS:
sed: 1: "s|\/Batch Rip Movies
.B ...": unterminated substitute pattern
Batch Rip Movies
.Batch
Rip
Movies : (Movie)

PROCESSING: Batch Rip Movies
.Batch
Rip
Movies

*Scanning File: 'Batch Rip Movies
.Batch
Rip
Movies'

ERROR: No tracks found or failed to scan source.
Check source files and application settings in Automator.
* ERROR: Batch Rip Movies
.Batch
Rip
Movies FAILED during processing!

PROCESSING COMPLETE: Batch Rip Movies
.Batch
Rip
Movies
24:36: syntax error: Expected end of line but found identifier. (-2741)

End: Mon Dec 2 01:13:00 PST 2013

logout

[Process completed]

-------------

The folder was empty except for the Thor rip, so no big loss this time around, but I am concerned about going forward...

Thanks in advance!
t

Hi paradise2012,

Sorry to hear you had trouble. The Batch Encode (Finder) service is designed to be executed on directly on selected SOURCE items. These can be video files, or folders & discs containing either a VIDEO_TS or BDMV folder. It was not designed to be executed on the parent folder containing those items. Whatever is selected in the finder is passed as input into the action. If your source folder is in your Batch Rip Movies folder, you can just run the regular Batch Encode service from the Applications > Services menu. This will processes all sources found in the Batch Rip Movies & TV folders set in the workflow.

Alternatively, you can select the source folder (thor folder) in the finder, Right-Click and run the Batch Encode (Finder) service. Batch Encode will process just that item.

Thanks for letting me know about this. I've never tried to run it on the parent folder before, but I'll see what happens and see if I can make it fail more gracefully.

Here's some info from the help section on how to use the Batch Encode Services that might be useful:

About Batch Encode Services

There are two Automator Services provided to use with Batch Encode.

Batch Rip • Batch Encode.workflow

This service receives no input and will act on all files or folders located in your "Batch Rip TV" and "Batch Rip Movies" folders, or optical discs mounted on your system (if Ignore Optical is not selected).

To use it:
  • Open the application menu (to the right of the Apple menu), choose Services > "Batch Rip • Batch Encode".

Batch Rip • Batch Encode (Finder).workflow

This Service will act only on items passed as input via the Finder, another Action, or a script.

To use it via the Finder:
  • Select the files, folders or discs you'd like to encode and run the service. Only the selected items will be processed.

Also, let me know if those quarantine messages go away when you run it again. The quarantine test was useful before gatekeeper, but might be redundant now.

Thanks!

mac.jedi

Last edited:

paradise2012

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2013
Resolved

That works great! I have read most of the guide several times but somehow missed that detail. Thanks for your quick and effective assistance. And I did not see any quarantine messages this time.

Now I'm ready to get into my next batch of trouble: I'm going to try to make an Applescript wrapper that catches disc insertion, prompts whether the user wants to play the movie, Rip and encode, or do both in sequence. Within this script, given the previous user response, I will automatically execute both services in sequence, which I think I will like better than the scheduled approach.

Do you have any thoughts or warnings about this idea?

mac.jedi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
The O.C.
That works great! I have read most of the guide several times but somehow missed that detail. Thanks for your quick and effective assistance. And I did not see any quarantine messages this time.

Now I'm ready to get into my next batch of trouble: I'm going to try to make an Applescript wrapper that catches disc insertion, prompts whether the user wants to play the movie, Rip and encode, or do both in sequence. Within this script, given the previous user response, I will automatically execute both services in sequence, which I think I will like better than the scheduled approach.

Do you have any thoughts or warnings about this idea?

Thanks again for letting me know about that nasty finder bug. It's been that way since the beginning, but never heard of it till now. I'll post a fix soon.

Let me see if I understand what you wanna do:
1. Set a launch agent to watch for newly mounted DVD or BD discs.
2. Post a prompt that has two options:
1) play disc.
2) rip & encode.
3. Run the selected option

Is that about it?

If you don't wanna rip the complete folder structure, batch encode can go straight to mp4.

paradise2012

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2013
Script / Wrapper

Thanks again for letting me know about that nasty finder bug. It's been that way since the beginning, but never heard of it till now. I'll post a fix soon.

Let me see if I understand what you wanna do:
1. Set a launch agent to watch for newly mounted DVD or BD discs.
2. Post a prompt that has two options:
1) play disc.
2) rip & encode.
3. Run the selected option

Is that about it?

If you don't wanna rip the complete folder structure, batch encode can go straight to mp4.

Don't thank me, you don't know how glad I am to find out you're still involved in keeping this cool project alive!

re: script: Yes, that's about it, but also a third option I can see being useful, which is to do both. i.e., just got Ender's Game in the mail, want to watch it right now, but then would like it to magically appear in my library afterwards... You've already made 90% of that dream possible, so let's go the last mile!

I was actually continuing work on this small aspect when I decided to check in here, so let me ask, is this something you're interested in? So you'd probably just build it into your existing automator code base. Please let me know so I don't spin my wheels. :)

----------

Mac.Jedi, I don't see a way to PM you, I'd like to discuss some other things but don't want to clutter the thread, is there a way to take this to email? Cheers, t

mac.jedi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
The O.C.
Don't thank me, you don't know how glad I am to find out you're still involved in keeping this cool project alive!

re: script: Yes, that's about it, but also a third option I can see being useful, which is to do both. i.e., just got Ender's Game in the mail, want to watch it right now, but then would like it to magically appear in my library afterwards... You've already made 90% of that dream possible, so let's go the last mile!

I was actually continuing work on this small aspect when I decided to check in here, so let me ask, is this something you're interested in? So you'd probably just build it into your existing automator code base. Please let me know so I don't spin my wheels. :)

----------

Mac.Jedi, I don't see a way to PM you, I'd like to discuss some other things but don't want to clutter the thread, is there a way to take this to email? Cheers, t

Hey paradise2012,

You'll be able to PM when you get your post count up.

Sorry, but I don't think this is something I'd be interested in tackling at the moment. Good luck with it though!

Cheers!

Mac.jedi

paradise2012

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2013
more questions

Hi Mac.Jedi,

Not being skilled at either Automator or Applescript, I have already encountered issues, and would like to see if you have any ideas...

How do you detect BD insertion? Is there an automator action for this? I searched high and low and found nothing. Or are you examining the /dev directory in your .sh script and "manually" discerning a new Volume mounting?

What happens when you run the action, does it loop waiting for disc insertion? It kinda looked like it just runs, and if it doesn't see a disc it exits...

Could both actions literally be combined, so immediately after ripping, encoding begins?

This is a primary goal for me, to optimize the process, since I will be ripping many discs, maybe with multiple drives, so I want to speed it up as much as possible. I looked at creating a new Automator Action with both of your actions in it, but it doesn't trigger upon BD insertion, and it doesn't wait for the rip to finish, hence the prior questions... So then I thought about joining the shell script files, but if Rip is programmed to run in the background, thus returning before it's really finished, even that approach won't work...

Hmmm, seems like it might work more "lock-step" if the rip action returned a value, say the name of the folder, which then could be passed into the Rip action. Would that make them work together correctly?

But I think one of these approaches should be viable...

maybe unrelated:
The Service versions of the Automator Actions are just to activate an action via menu right? Or is it like a Windows Service meaning that it's running in the background like a daemon?

Cheers! -Todd

mac.jedi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
The O.C.
Hi Mac.Jedi,

Not being skilled at either Automator or Applescript, I have already encountered issues, and would like to see if you have any ideas...

In the beginning, it's about small steps. Trial and error. Take one step at a time. Make good use of Google and Apple's developer library. Research different methods to see what's best for you. You're going to need to learn at least one scripting language and probably dabble in two or three more. For Batch Rip I use bash, ApplescriptObjC, Cocoa and vanilla Applescript. Apple's Shell Scripting Primer is a good place to start as well as macosxautomation.com, macscripter.net. I've listed links to a few resources in the application's help.

How do you detect BD insertion? Is there an automator action for this? I searched high and low and found nothing. Or are you examining the /dev directory in your .sh script and "manually" discerning a new Volume mounting?

I've found the best way is to setup a launch agent. If you activate Batch Rip Dispatcher, you will find it in ~/Library/LaunchAgents. The launch agent is set to WatchPaths. The directory it's watching is /Volumes. When the launch agent is active, launchD will monitor that directory and run the launch agent if a volume is mounted or unmounted. The launch agent's program argument is set to run the batch rip dispatcher shell script located in the Batch Rip Action's Resource folder.
This script tests to see if the newly mounted volumes are BD-ROMs or DVD-ROMs. It records a watch list to track them and tests to see if the user had previously selected to ignore them, or if they are currently being processed. If it passes all these tests, it will activate the batch rip workflow. If a disc was ejected, it will remove it from the watch list. There's a lot more to it, but that's about it in a nutshell.

What happens when you run the action, does it loop waiting for disc insertion? It kinda looked like it just runs, and if it doesn't see a disc it exits...

If we're talking about the Batch Rip.action, it basically has three modes.
  1. AutoRun: will run automatically with no dialogs
  2. Single Drive: displays a dialog asking for a video kind or to ignore the disc
  3. Multi-Drive: displays a dialog asking if you wanna wait to mount more discs
Items 2 and 3 wait for user input and will timeout after a minute or so, if no selection is made, no looping.

Could both actions literally be combined, so immediately after ripping, encoding begins?

It not possible to do this right now as the actions are just basically script runners. This is where Batch Rip and Batch Encode are different than the other actions. The Automator workflows for these actions allow you to set your preferences for the different options in a GUI and will write your choices to a plist when saved. These actions have two parts. A main.command command file and the batch script file. When the workflow is run, the command file will do some tests and send your preferences along with any source input paths to the batch script and activate the script. The scripts are run in Terminal so you can see the output and progress. Automator wasn't really designed to do this level of output, but it is a great way to package a complicated script.

That being said, it probably would be possible with a rewrite of the actions. The easiest way to do it would be to write code in the batch rip shell script that keeps track of each resulting file or folder then passes them to another script or workflow when the process is completed.

This process however is no different than running a GUI program like DVDRipperPro or RipIt which can rip than encode, one at a time.

This is a primary goal for me, to optimize the process, since I will be ripping many discs, maybe with multiple drives, so I want to speed it up as much as possible. I looked at creating a new Automator Action with both of your actions in it, but it doesn't trigger upon BD insertion, and it doesn't wait for the rip to finish, hence the prior questions... So then I thought about joining the shell script files, but if Rip is programmed to run in the background, thus returning before it's really finished, even that approach won't work...

For me, the fastest way will always be to do them in batches. Connect as many drives as you want. Activate dispatcher, set an encode schedule for midnight and start loading and ripping discs all day. If named properly, they will all be encoded and tagged the next morning. Ripping then encoding them one or two at a time will take a lot longer and require a lot more of your time.

Hmmm, seems like it might work more "lock-step" if the rip action returned a value, say the name of the folder, which then could be passed into the Rip action. Would that make them work together correctly?

But I think one of these approaches should be viable...

maybe unrelated:
The Service versions of the Automator Actions are just to activate an action via menu right? Or is it like a Windows Service meaning that it's running in the background like a daemon?

Cheers! -Todd

I hope some of this helped.

Cheers!

mac.jedi

mac.jedi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
The O.C.
One thing I forgot to mention was a little program called Hazel. I touch on it at the end of the tutorial, but this thread has a lot if info on how to use it with Batch Rip Actions. Noodlesoft's forum has a lot of info as well. Batch Rip color codes the ripped files or folders upon completion. With hazel, you can set up a rule to run batch encode on those items when they're finished processing. You'd probably want to pass the source items to the Batch Encode Finder workflow using the script detailed in the tutorial.

doccelo

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2009
Hi again mac.jedi,
Everything has been running great! Thanks again for your hard work.

Ran into something new today, not sure where the problem lies. I selected 81 movies in Finder to do a batch encode with makemkv and it was returning a grep out of memory error. Now when trying again the out of memory error is gone but I keep getting this:

Code:

Start: Tue Dec  3 18:32:14 EST 2013
  Input directory 1: /Users/Marcelo/Movies/Batch Rip Movies
  Input directory 2: /Users/Marcelo/Movies/Batch Rip TV
  Output directory: /Users/Marcelo/Movies/Batch Encode
  Use MakeMKV: Yes
  Auto-add movie tags: No
  Encode TV Shows between: 40-380 mins
  Encode Movies between: 40-380 mins
  Burn-in Subtitle Track: No
  Pass-thru Subtitle Tracks: Yes (All Tracks)
  Will Encode: MKV, Encode 1/MakeMKV

VERBOSE MODE

ERROR: No BDMV or VIDEO_TS folder found in: Elizabeth - The Golden Age (2007)/
  • Selection must be the first parent item of a BDMV or VIDEO_TS folder.
    Example:
      Batch Rip Movies
        My Movie (2013) <--- SELECTION
          VIDEO_TS

logout

[Process completed]

Not sure if it has to do with the new version you put out because previously everything was working fine, even when it ran into a folder such as above without a VIDEO_TS folder within it. The above move is in .avi format and it seems to error out. I've tried with other groups of movies and it seems if there is any movie within the group that is mkv or avi (that is, not video_ts) the whole process errors out and doesn't process any of them.

UPDATE: I went back to 1.1.0 and everything is back to normal so there must be a bug in 1.1.1.

Last edited:

mac.jedi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
The O.C.
Hi again mac.jedi,
Everything has been running great! Thanks again for your hard work.

Ran into something new today, not sure where the problem lies. I selected 81 movies in Finder to do a batch encode with makemkv and it was returning a grep out of memory error. Now when trying again the out of memory error is gone but I keep getting this:

Code:

Start: Tue Dec  3 18:32:14 EST 2013
  Input directory 1: /Users/Marcelo/Movies/Batch Rip Movies
  Input directory 2: /Users/Marcelo/Movies/Batch Rip TV
  Output directory: /Users/Marcelo/Movies/Batch Encode
  Use MakeMKV: Yes
  Auto-add movie tags: No
  Encode TV Shows between: 40-380 mins
  Encode Movies between: 40-380 mins
  Burn-in Subtitle Track: No
  Pass-thru Subtitle Tracks: Yes (All Tracks)
  Will Encode: MKV, Encode 1/MakeMKV

VERBOSE MODE

ERROR: No BDMV or VIDEO_TS folder found in: Elizabeth - The Golden Age (2007)/
  • Selection must be the first parent item of a BDMV or VIDEO_TS folder.
    Example:
      Batch Rip Movies
        My Movie (2013) <--- SELECTION
          VIDEO_TS

logout

[Process completed]

Not sure if it has to do with the new version you put out because previously everything was working fine, even when it ran into a folder such as above without a VIDEO_TS folder within it. The above move is in .avi format and it seems to error out. I've tried with other groups of movies and it seems if there is any movie within the group that is mkv or avi (that is, not video_ts) the whole process errors out and doesn't process any of them.

UPDATE: I went back to 1.1.0 and everything is back to normal so there must be a bug in 1.1.1.

Thanks for letting me know. It's not really a bug it's more like an error notification when it's feed a source folder that it can't process. I debated on whether to have it continue or exit. Since this error would only occur when selecting a folder and running the finder workflow, I chose to have it exit before processing so the user could fix the problem. I'm still on the fence, so this may change. If you'd like to have it continue rather than exit, you can comment out the exit line in the "parseSourceFilesFromInput" function by adding a # before the word exit.

Last edited:

doccelo

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2009
Thanks for letting me know. It's not really a bug it's more like an error notification when it's feed a source folder that it can't process. I debated on whether to have it continue or exit. Since this error would only occur when selecting a folder and running the finder workflow, I chose to have it exit before processing so the user could fix the problem. I'm still on the fence, so this may change. If you'd like to have it continue rather than exit, you can comment out the exit line in the "parseSourceFilesFromInput" function by adding a # before the word exit.

Ok, thanks for clarifying. For me, I would rather have it continue because I have a mixed bag of video_ts and mkv/avi movies. I would rather not have to go through and pick out all the video_ts when I could just select all the movies and have it encoding in seconds, instead of spending a bunch of time going through every single folder to see which one is video_ts and which isn't and then selecting just those that are. Seems tedious, especially for very large libraries in the hundreds or thousands of movies and tv shows.

Is it possible to put a notification of the end of the encoding process alerting the user to the fact that certain folders weren't processed and why?

mac.jedi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
The O.C.
Thanks for the update!!!!

I'm getting this error when launching either batch encode or rip. Running Mavericks.

ERROR: libdvdcss.2.dylib command tool is not setup to execute
ERROR: attempting to use tool at /usr/lib/libdvdcss.2.dylib

ERROR: libdvdcss.2.dylib command tool could not be found
ERROR: libdvdcss.2.dylib can be installed in ./ /usr/local/bin/ /usr/bin/ ~/ or /Applications/

Hi imahawki!

Did you install libdvdcss2? The installer can be found here:
libdvdcss

Cheers!

mac.jedi

imahawki

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
Nope, I missed that, hence the edit to my post. Re-read and installed the libraries and everything works.

On a side note, do you have a paypal address setup where we can donate to support your efforts. This is one of the most useful and most used tools on my computer. I'd gladly send some funds your way.

imarc808

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2007
syntax error

I'm also getting this syntax error: "24:36: syntax error: Expected end of line but found identifier. (-2741)"

I'm ripping straight from an external blu-ray burner. Blu-ray ripping had been working fine until the recent updates. Now every disc fails with this error. Help please!

Hi paradise2012,

Sorry to hear you had trouble. The Batch Encode (Finder) service is designed to be executed on directly on selected SOURCE items. These can be video files, or folders & discs containing either a VIDEO_TS or BDMV folder. It was not designed to be executed on the parent folder containing those items. Whatever is selected in the finder is passed as input into the action. If your source folder is in your Batch Rip Movies folder, you can just run the regular Batch Encode service from the Applications > Services menu. This will processes all sources found in the Batch Rip Movies & TV folders set in the workflow.

Alternatively, you can select the source folder (thor folder) in the finder, Right-Click and run the Batch Encode (Finder) service. Batch Encode will process just that item.

Thanks for letting me know about this. I've never tried to run it on the parent folder before, but I'll see what happens and see if I can make it fail more gracefully.

Here's some info from the help section on how to use the Batch Encode Services that might be useful:

About Batch Encode Services

There are two Automator Services provided to use with Batch Encode.

Batch Rip • Batch Encode.workflow

This service receives no input and will act on all files or folders located in your "Batch Rip TV" and "Batch Rip Movies" folders, or optical discs mounted on your system (if Ignore Optical is not selected).

To use it:
  • Open the application menu (to the right of the Apple menu), choose Services > "Batch Rip • Batch Encode".

Batch Rip • Batch Encode (Finder).workflow

This Service will act only on items passed as input via the Finder, another Action, or a script.

To use it via the Finder:
  • Select the files, folders or discs you'd like to encode and run the service. Only the selected items will be processed.

Also, let me know if those quarantine messages go away when you run it again. The quarantine test was useful before gatekeeper, but might be redundant now.

Thanks!

mac.jedi

mac.jedi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
The O.C.
I'm also getting this syntax error: "24:36: syntax error: Expected end of line but found identifier. (-2741)"

I'm ripping straight from an external blu-ray burner. Blu-ray ripping had been working fine until the recent updates. Now every disc fails with this error. Help please!

Hi imark808,

Please post a verbose log. It's hard to tell where the problem is coming from.

Thanks,

Mac.jedi

mac.jedi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
The O.C.
Sorry but I don't even know how to do that. How do I access a verbose log?

Hi imarc808,

You'll need to update your workflow … Check the verbose logging check box in the workflow. Save the workflow and run the service. Read the help pages or tutorial if you need guidance on configuring your workflow.

^ edit … after the workflow runs, copy and paste the Terminal contents here; or upload the log file located in ~/Library/Logs/{action name}.log

Thanks,

Mac.jedi

imarc808

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2007
Thanks for your patience with a newbie. Here is my verbose log.

VERBOSE MODE

WILL COPY THE FOLLOWING DISCS:
PACIFIC_RIM (BD-ROM : Movie)

*Processing BD-ROM: PACIFIC_RIM
MSG:1005,0,1,"MakeMKV v1.8.7 darwin(x86-release) started","%1 started","MakeMKV v1.8.7 darwin(x86-release)"
MSG:2014,0,3,"Optical drive \"DVD+R-DL OPTIARC DVD RW AD-5680H 3AHB\" opened in DASPI v1.3 mode.","Optical drive \"%1\" opened in DASPI v%2.%3 mode.","DVD+R-DL OPTIARC DVD RW AD-5680H 3AHB","1","3"
MSG:2014,0,3,"Optical drive \"BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH12LS38 1.00\" opened in DASPI v1.3 mode.","Optical drive \"%1\" opened in DASPI v%2.%3 mode.","BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH12LS38 1.00","1","3"
DRV:0,0,999,0,"DVD+R-DL OPTIARC DVD RW AD-5680H 3AHB","",""
DRV:1,2,999,12,"BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH12LS38 1.00","PACIFIC_RIM","/dev/rdisk3"
DRV:2,256,999,0,"","",""
DRV:3,256,999,0,"","",""
DRV:4,256,999,0,"","",""
DRV:5,256,999,0,"","",""
DRV:6,256,999,0,"","",""
DRV:7,256,999,0,"","",""
DRV:8,256,999,0,"","",""
DRV:9,256,999,0,"","",""
DRV:10,256,999,0,"","",""
DRV:11,256,999,0,"","",""
DRV:12,256,999,0,"","",""
DRV:13,256,999,0,"","",""
DRV:14,256,999,0,"","",""
DRV:15,256,999,0,"","",""
MSG:3007,0,0,"Using direct disc access mode","Using direct disc access mode"
MSG:5055,0,0,"Evaluation period has expired, shareware functionality unavailable.","Evaluation period has expired, shareware functionality unavailable."
MSG:5052,516,0,"Evaluation period has expired. Please purchase an activation key if you've found this application useful. You may still use all free functionality without any restrictions.","Evaluation period has expired. Please purchase an activation key if you've found this application useful. You may still use all free functionality without any restrictions."
MSG:5010,0,0,"Failed to open disc","Failed to open disc"
TCOUNT:0

No tracks found between 80-180 minutes (Movie).

PROCESSING COMPLETE
End: Mon Dec 16 19:05:44 HST 2013

logout

[Process completed]

It seems to be saying that my makemkv is out of trial, but I can mount the disk if I launch makemkv directly. I just downloaded 1.8.7 and it shouldn't need a registration code.

Thanks.

Hi imarc808,

You'll need to update your workflow … Check the verbose logging check box in the workflow. Save the workflow and run the service. Read the help pages or tutorial if you need guidance on configuring your workflow.

^ edit … after the workflow runs, copy and paste the Terminal contents here; or upload the log file located in ~/Library/Logs/{action name}.log

Thanks,

Mac.jedi

mac.jedi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
The O.C.
Thanks for your patience with a newbie. Here is my verbose log.

VERBOSE MODE

WILL COPY THE FOLLOWING DISCS:
PACIFIC_RIM (BD-ROM : Movie)

*Processing BD-ROM: PACIFIC_RIM
MSG:1005,0,1,"MakeMKV v1.8.7 darwin(x86-release) started","%1 started","MakeMKV v1.8.7 darwin(x86-release)"
MSG:2014,0,3,"Optical drive \"DVD+R-DL OPTIARC DVD RW AD-5680H 3AHB\" opened in DASPI v1.3 mode.","Optical drive \"%1\" opened in DASPI v%2.%3 mode.","DVD+R-DL OPTIARC DVD RW AD-5680H 3AHB","1","3"
MSG:2014,0,3,"Optical drive \"BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH12LS38 1.00\" opened in DASPI v1.3 mode.","Optical drive \"%1\" opened in DASPI v%2.%3 mode.","BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH12LS38 1.00","1","3"
DRV:0,0,999,0,"DVD+R-DL OPTIARC DVD RW AD-5680H 3AHB","",""
DRV:1,2,999,12,"BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH12LS38 1.00","PACIFIC_RIM","/dev/rdisk3"
DRV:2,256,999,0,"","",""
DRV:3,256,999,0,"","",""
DRV:4,256,999,0,"","",""
DRV:5,256,999,0,"","",""
DRV:6,256,999,0,"","",""
DRV:7,256,999,0,"","",""
DRV:8,256,999,0,"","",""
DRV:9,256,999,0,"","",""
DRV:10,256,999,0,"","",""
DRV:11,256,999,0,"","",""
DRV:12,256,999,0,"","",""
DRV:13,256,999,0,"","",""
DRV:14,256,999,0,"","",""
DRV:15,256,999,0,"","",""
MSG:3007,0,0,"Using direct disc access mode","Using direct disc access mode"
MSG:5055,0,0,"Evaluation period has expired, shareware functionality unavailable.","Evaluation period has expired, shareware functionality unavailable."
MSG:5052,516,0,"Evaluation period has expired. Please purchase an activation key if you've found this application useful. You may still use all free functionality without any restrictions.","Evaluation period has expired. Please purchase an activation key if you've found this application useful. You may still use all free functionality without any restrictions."
MSG:5010,0,0,"Failed to open disc","Failed to open disc"
TCOUNT:0

No tracks found between 80-180 minutes (Movie).

PROCESSING COMPLETE
End: Mon Dec 16 19:05:44 HST 2013

logout

[Process completed]

It seems to be saying that my makemkv is out of trial, but I can mount the disk if I launch makemkv directly. I just downloaded 1.8.7 and it shouldn't need a registration code.

Thanks.

I think You need to update your Makemkv beta key … you will need to do this periodically until you register and have a permanent key. You can find it here … http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053

Thanks,

Mac.jedi

brandonl

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2011
Crestwood, KY
MakeMKV batch encode final location

Hi, I might have missed this earlier...but I'm either blind or it hasn't been asked yet :p

Using the MakeMKV option in the Batch Encode workflow, I'm looking to point it at a directory of BD rips and have it output MKVs of them. Currently, it is putting the finalized MKVs in the source folder that it is encoding them from. How/Can I tell it to put them all in a folder (say, named MKV) when done? Using the handbrake encoding method puts the finalized files in my Encoded folder...looking to do the same with the MakeMKV profile.

Thanks!

brandon95030

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2011
Hi Mac.Jedi,

Thanks for updating BatchRipActions.

I'm a little confused with using custom presets and the new \$audiosearch.

I used to do "-a \${audioTrack},\${audioTrack}" along with "-E ca_aac,copy:ac3 -B 160,160 -6 dpl2,auto -R Auto,Auto -D 0.0,0.0" in my custom preset. This would select the default "eng" audio track, and if it was DTS the final m4v file would have AAC(converted from DTS) and AC3(converted from DTS) tracks. If the default "eng" audio track was AC3 the final m4v file would have AAC(converted from AC3) and AC3(pass-thru of the AC3).

Now when I use the new \$audioSearch flag in my custom preset, I only get one AAC audio track in the final m4v file, I want AAC and AC3 for my AppleTV 3. I think it has something to do with the ac3passTest check in batchEncode.sh, it doesn't work with custom presets, it only works with the Handbrake builtin presets??

How do I replicate my previous behavior with "custom preset" and the latest BatchRipActions?
if source default track is DTS -> final m4v has AAC and AC3
if source default track is AC3 -> final m4v has AAC and AC3

Thanks.

flanger456

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2014
Hi mac.jedi,

Thanks for this tool, it is quite cool.

I have noticed that when you change the Episode sort order for Add Tv Tags that the workflows do not seem to respect your decision, instead always using the Date Aired tags rather than the DVD order tags.

Is this something that perhaps I am doing wrong?

hypersapien

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2010
Hello! I used to use this process of ripping and encoding several years ago, successfully and happily. In the time since, I've been buying my movies digitally and didn't have to worry about ripping content anymore. However, I now have a need to do some ripping again, and am having some problems updating all the various components in the pipeline.

I have skimmed through the updated initial posts, as well as the last couple pages- but I hope you will forgive me for not reading the entire 50+ pages of this thread.

The process seems to be breaking down for me because of Fairmount. I have googled and read about how necessary library files are no longer included, and have tried suggested steps of downloading those library files separately, or downloading an older version of VLC and moving its library files around. No matter what I try I either get the error message stating Fairmount can't load the library files, or it outright crashes.

So did I miss something? Is Fairmount still a necessary piece of this operation, or did it get replaced with something else? If someone could point me in the right direction I can probably google myself to the answer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.