Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imola.zhp

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2010
Mud Island (Memphis), TN
I change my watch band several times per week. Unless they have a body color sticker, no thanks. Better stock up too, how long will a sticker last? Hand washing, etc, would come right off, right? Might as well wait for series 4 when all of them have cellular and the red-dot goes away.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
This is true everywhere in products we buy.

Buyers of lower-level luxury products actually WANT to have bigger logos and identifying features to show other people they have a luxury product.

The logo on the front of a Mercedes is largest on their least expensive models, and gets smaller as the models go up in price. This is done for that very reason.

Luxury handbags also have statistically larger logos on the lower end models, where the very high end models have none. People that buy a $200 purse want everyone to know they have a pricey purse. People who buy a $5,000 purse don't need to advertise that fact because others who know what it is don't need a big logo to know.

This is a buying behavior marketers are well aware of and they design products to allow users to show off what they've got.
I generally agree with your sentiment, but you're wrong about Mercedes. They stick that big ass tri-star on everything from their cheapest to their most expensive. I'll just add this to my collection of evidence that we (MR forum members) are bad at car analogies.

Again, your point... spot on. Car analogy... needs work.

Reactions: t1meless1nf1n1t

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
There's no buttering this up: Apple made the crown red so that others would know you have the 'more expensive' LTE Apple Watch. It's why they make iPhones with external features unique to a new device - just so you may feel relieved in that others know you have 'the new one'.

Just speaks to the human shallowness that Apple is appealing to with some of their stuff.

The funny thing is, those people buying their watch, or phone - in part - as a fashion statement, would be crushed to realize no one gives a **** about your stupid watch, and its not impressing anyone.

neutralguy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2015
I generally agree with your sentiment, but you're wrong about Mercedes. They stick that big ass tri-star on everything from their cheapest to their most expensive. I'll just add this to my collection of evidence that we (MR forum members) are bad at car analogies.

Again, your point... spot on. Car analogy... needs work.
I agree. I was shopping for Mercedes GL and they did tell me that the large big lighted logo comes in the expensive version.
[doublepost=1505747819][/doublepost]My question is opposite: once I buy the watch, can I remove the red dot?

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
You're waiting another year to upgrade your Series 0? I have a launch day S0 and I'll be upgrading to S3 when I can. Feel like this thing is way too old now, and I purposely skipped S2.
Haha yep. I have the more expensive stainless steel model, and I'd like to keep that as I like the design. I might have upgraded but purchases in the past year of AirPods, Nintendo Switch, iPad Pro 10.5" 256GB, iPhone X 256GB, and I'm in the middle of transitioning to a new camera system (Canon to Sony) so I don't have as many discretionary technology funds at the moment. I keep a tight budget so I can get the tech I want each year while saving for retirement. Next year I'm wanting to get either a well-spec'd iMac 5K, iMac Pro, or that modular Mac Pro to replace my aging 2012 rMBP at home, so that's going to eat up a good chunk of the budget, and I'll probably pick up an Xbox One X once the price drops, and have been wanting to get a 4K TV at some point, so who knows, the Apple Watch might get pushed back another year, lol. It can be painfully slow—especially for third party apps—but I mostly use it for notifications, exercise tracking, checking the weather, checking my calendar, and sending quick text replies. It's adequate for that, and I'm really looking forward to upgrading it at some point, and I really like my Apple Watch, but compared to the other things I felt it was the least important to upgrade. I think I also lucked out and got one that has a great battery. I'm also hoping next year we can get a design upgrade with a little bit bigger display, or a display with roughly the same square area, inside of a circular display, as a design option because I prefer round watch faces.

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Well besides being overpriced I like the option, especially if it matches all the watch band colors. That red button is hideous (at least it isn't a strobe light).

Reactions: vashira

scott911

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2009
Just speaks to the human shallowness that Apple is appealing to with some of their stuff.

The funny thing is, those people buying their watch, or phone - in part - as a fashion statement, would be crushed to realize no one gives a **** about your stupid watch, and its not impressing anyone.

I hung of with a lot of photographer in college - they cover there name plates of there cameras (Canon, Contax Lieca) with a small piece of dull black gaffer's tape. the idea was to hide the brand because it didn't matter, the photographer did, or to not distract the subject. i think the tape became a bit of a stutus symbol too...

Reactions: robeddie

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
Its unfortunate this even has to exist. :(

Its a testiment to how pathetic and trivial the world of 'fashion' is that now a tiny red dot is some kind of 'status symbol'.
Person: "Hey look everyone! I've got the iPhone X, see the red dot?!!"
Crowd: "Who gives a **** what watch you have?"

CrystalQuest76

Suspended
Dec 14, 2015
West Cost A Lot
Buyers of lower-level luxury products actually WANT to have bigger logos and identifying features to show other people they have a luxury product.
Yep. High quality clothing has the labels on the inside, not outside.

There is a great and cheaper solution to hide the color, just use a drop of nail polish.
Saving money is not a crime.

JD92

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2005

The logo on the front of a Mercedes is largest on their least expensive models, and gets smaller as the models go up in price. This is done for that very reason.

Luxury handbags also have statistically larger logos on the lower end models, where the very high end models have none. People that buy a $200 purse want everyone to know they have a pricey purse. People who buy a $5,000 purse don't need to advertise that fact because others who know what it is don't need a big logo to know.

This is a buying behavior marketers are well aware of and they design products to allow users to show off what they've got.

What you're saying makes sense, but I'm currently looking on MB's website and I can't seem to verify your claim about the Mercedes logo being biggest on the smallest model. The logo on the front of the A-Class looks exactly the same as the logo on the front of the AMG GT. I believe logo is the same size on all BMWs too. Have you got any links to back this up because it'd be very interesting if true.

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK

Not absolutely no one, it does draw an increased level of interest from thieves.

Reactions: robeddie
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.