iPhone X How To Clear RAM on iPhone X

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by alexberry, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Of you could just restart the phone once in a while like once a week or so.

2. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

It's not necessary. Just don't do it.
    Or you can review the battery usage stats and see which apps use a lot of power in the background
    Just kill those apps after use.

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

So does that mean there's still a way to do that on the X or not?

4. jschel macrumors newbie

Once you hold down and the red bubbles appear, you can then swipe.

5. Dbrown0690 macrumors newbie

Dbrown0690

I found your thread because I was searching for the same answer. I used to do it to get things moving again. It was also helpful when the network wouldn’t connect for whatever reason. I would do it with friends iPhones who complained about slow performance. It was an incredibly useful maintenance function. Hoping we are only overlooking something.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 5, 2017 ---
    And for all those who still don’t think it’s a real thing, try Googling “How to reset RAM on an iPhone”. You will wish you’d known about this years ago. If you are still waiting for your iPhone X, you can see for yourself. Those of us who have our new iPhone Xs will have to do without, apparently.

6. jreeves10, Nov 6, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2017

jreeves10 macrumors newbie

jreeves10

What about activating the on screen home button through settings->general->accessibility-> assistive touch. Then get to the shut off screen as before but press this virtual home button for five seconds? (FYI haven’t personally tried this myself; thought just crossed my mind it may be a possibility; let us know if there’s any success)

7. cheekyjeremy macrumors 6502

Such a frustrating discussion. We are not talking about closing apps to save memory. We are talking about basically forcing a respring of a specific app without having to reboot the entire phone. Let’s say you are using an app and for some reason it just stops working (spinning, phone locks up etc). Then it is not an option to get to the app switcher to start with, and even if you could, the app switcher wouldn’t help you anyways. As mentioned, prior to X, if an app locked up, then you could hold down the power button until the swipe to close option came up, then hold down on the home button. About 2 seconds later, it would force quit, but more importantly force reset the app in question. Just closing it, or swiping it away in app switcher would just return to the same problem when you re-open the app.

Bottom line, there does not seem to be a way to do this at present

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

This is actually about a bit more than thst. It's about clearing all apps essentially from memory. It's doing that same force close action, but not doing it while within an app but while on the home screen.

9. viperGTS macrumors 68000

I'm not sure what surprises me more; the fact that you posted this, or that 18 people agreed with you to the point that they liked your message. Either way, you and then have no idea what you're talking about.

There is a way to "force close" an app: hold the power button until the slide to shut off appears, then hold the home button. The app will close and you'll be returned to the home screen.

I'm not sure if such a gesture exists on the X.

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

To be fair, this is about something slightly more than force closing an app, and about clearing all app from RAM. It's a very similar function and has been around only in more recent iOS versions as I recall, but it most certainly exists (just as force closing an app does).

11. jreeves10 macrumors newbie

jreeves10

What about activating the on screen home button through settings->general->accessibility-> assistive touch. Then get to the shut off screen as before but press this virtual home button for five seconds? (FYI haven’t personally tried this myself; thought just crossed my mind it may be a possibility; let us know if there’s any success)

12. tripleh3lix macrumors 6502

tripleh3lix

I know on the older iPhones it was the hold power, then hold the home button when the slide to shutdown menu came up. Is there a way to reset the ram with the X?

13. alexberry thread starter macrumors member

14. Dbrown0690 macrumors newbie

Dbrown0690

Good thought. Just tried it and it didn't work. Great suggestion though.

15. AppleRobert macrumors 603

There is no app in the store to monitor and manage ram?

16. FanYii macrumors newbie

FanYii

Nobody is answering his question!
    Here is an example on how to clear iPhone RAM Memory

1:02

Could someone that has iPhone X try to force restart an app/clear up RAM? by doing following: First go Settings->General->Accessibility->AssistiveTouch, and enable it. Now hold the power button until the "slide to power off" appears, now press the AssistiveTouch and hold the home button. The app should close on iPhone X and you'll be returned to the home screen.

Can somebody test this and confirm if it works or not?

17. Rocky244 macrumors regular

To force close an app, like you used to on older iPhones, you enter the multitasking menu by swiping up from the bottom and holding in the middle of the screen. You will then be able to select an app to multitask with. Before you do that, hold a touch on any one app, and a red minus bubble will appear in the top left corner of all the apps. Hit that bubble to force close an app, or swipe up to close the app. This will allow the app to repsring when opening it.

I use this method frequently whenever the keyboard messes up in whatsapp, or twitch stops showing me chromecast casting options that I want.

18. C DM macrumors Westmere

This isn't really what's being asked about--it's not about force closing an app or apps, but about clearing memory. The preceding post has a demonstration of it: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/how-to-clear-ram-on-iphone-x.2083795/page-2#post-25436737

19. Dirtydutch macrumors 6502a

Dirtydutch

Yea exactly why are people reiterating how to close apps? We all know how to do that, we are looking to find out how to clear the RAM which not one person has provided yet, and that was the initial post question...

20. FanYii, Nov 10, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2017

FanYii macrumors newbie

FanYii

Forcing an app to close is the same thing as clearing up RAM.....

21. puma1552 macrumors 601

Is there really a difference between the holding home button method and just turning off the phone and restarting it? Over the years I've periodically just turned the phone off completely and back on to clear RAM, is that any different that the home button method in the video above? I'd never heard of that method in ten yearsof having iPhones.

22. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

There was some discussion [in the past] that this method not only purged the application RAM, but system level caches and other persistent data (that might survive through a restart).

23. balaplus macrumors regular

What did the poor Windows do to you?
    It is not even competing now :D

24. NikRib macrumors newbie

NikRib

I too wondered. With the 7, we would long hold the power button, until; the apple re-appeared. BUT, WARNING!!! If you do this on the X, it will invoke SOS, emergency calls!!!

So, Apple Geniuses... What is the NEW way to do a reset? (not just a power off/on, but RESET?

Anybody??

25. tonester697 macrumors newbie

Press and quickly release the Volume Up button, then do the same for the Volume Down button. Follow up by pressing the Side button, and hold until the display suddenly shuts off — about 10 seconds. Keep holding the Side button and release when the device turns back onto its Apple boot screen.