Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Calesty

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2018
something I did from time to time was clear RAM on previous iPhones as a way to ensure closed apps were properly closed and RAM freed up. It was done by holding down the power button until the swipe to power off prompt appears, and then pressing the home button.

Anyone know how to do this on the iPX?

You have to go to Settings and turn on assistive touch. Then go to settings and press shut down there. Then when the slide to shut down appears click on the assistive touch icon and hold the home button. Voilaa

Zetagy

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2018
This is not only for RAM, but also for audio applications using IAA or AUv3. This isn’t just useful for clearing RAM, but also for processes.

saltd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
I made a video explaining it. Pretty cut and dry. If it’s “not working” for you, it’s user error. Try again

Ugh, what a pain in the rear compared to the old method! Thanks for posting though-at least it’s possible.

tcha0004

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2018
something I did from time to time was clear RAM on previous iPhones as a way to ensure closed apps were properly closed and RAM freed up. It was done by holding down the power button until the swipe to power off prompt appears, and then pressing the home button.

First at home page, you swipe up from the bottom and hold. Something will pop up just just like after you double click the home page on older versions of iPhones. Next, you can’t swipe up to clear the ram like older iPhones. U have to again click and hold one of the pages and then a red button in circle with a -sign will appear on the top left hand corner. Click on each to clear each of the app.

Jetcat3

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2015
Noob here, forgive my lack of knowledge. So turning off the iPhone X with the volume up, volume down, holding the power button does essentially the same thing as the video shows just without actually turning off your phone?

Peter K.

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2012
Philly / SoCal / Jersey Shore
First at home page, you swipe up from the bottom and hold. Something will pop up just just like after you double click the home page on older versions of iPhones. Next, you can’t swipe up to clear the ram like older iPhones. U have to again click and hold one of the pages and then a red button in circle with a -sign will appear on the top left hand corner. Click on each to clear each of the app.
This doesn’t clear the RAM.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza

That sounds like a jailbreak feature... it is not standard on the iPhone.

sidsehra

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2018
I have also been trying to find a way to do this without any luck.

As to those who think it is pointless or stupid, try thinking of it this way. Do you occasionally have an app that stops working and you need to force close it and relaunch? This is much the same thing. When you have a system process that isn’t working right, clearing ram often gets things going again. Would rebooting the phone also fix it? Sure, but rebooting the phone would also fix a stuck app yet no one claims you don’t need the option to force quit an app.

I support hundreds of users, many with iPhones. There have been many times I’ve cleared ram to get WiFi or email connections going again.

Moral of the story is that you don’t need to get defensive just because you didn’t know a feature of your phone existed. Responding to someone looking for answers without an answer or something useful to add is not helpful to anyone.

Remcor

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2018

The proper way to force or hard restart your iPhone X is different.
You have to be fast but not stupid fast.
Volume up, then volume down, then hold the side button.
The power off will appear but it won’t have the emergency swipe bar at the bottom. Just keep holding the side button until you see the Apple logo. That’s how you hard start your iPhone X which clears the ram.

Every computer device saves quick memory to ram so that apps can load faster.
Now after I play 30 mins of FFXV Pocket edition my phone is storing that games framework so that I can jump back to it and keep playing so other apps are slowed. Now Apple does dump after 4 apps or so that have opened but if those apps aren’t memory hogs it might keep that memory for that app that wants 2 gigs of ram for functionality. Processing power can run cooler when there is sufficient ram to handle repetitive processes that occur within an app. So if your phone is getting warm try a force or hard restart to clean out that ram. Sometimes closing apps is not good enough.

Badboynz13

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2018
Palm Beach. Papamoa NZ

1) Open up an app
2) hold the delete bar at bottom of iphone X and slowly drag upwards towards centre of screen
3) press and hold on one of apps and the minus sign - appears on em all,
4) simply delete em one by one? or swipe app upwards to clear

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
You can I just posted in there
Press Volume up, then press volume down, then hold side button until the screen goes blank and the Apple logo shows up. Ram is cleared and you’re all good!

That reboots the phone, similar to holding the power and home button on a 6s and older iPhone, or the power and volume down on a 7/8 series.

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
I could've sworn I once read the following for iPhone (before X):

Hold down the power button until 'Slide to Power Off' and 'Cancel' appear; press and hold 'Cancel' until it returns to the Home Screen.

So with iPhone X you'd press volume up, volume down then hold the side button until that screen appears.

Remcor

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2018
That reboots the phone, similar to holding the power and home button on a 6s and older iPhone, or the power and volume down on a 7/8 series.

Yes it does reboot the phone which clears up the ram. It’s the only way for the X. It cleans up more ram this way then just powering off and on I have noticed.

Superkate

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2018

In Settings, turn on AssisstiveTouch, then click Shut Down (also in Settings). On the screen after Shut Down, click the AssistiveTouch button and then the home button

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Yes it does reboot the phone which clears up the ram. It’s the only way for the X. It cleans up more ram this way then just powering off and on I have noticed.
Actually it's not. This is the only way to clear the RAM without rebooting:

I made a video explaining it. Pretty cut and dry. If it’s “not working” for you, it’s user error. Try again

nikusak

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2014
Stop worrying about "closing" apps or "clearing RAM". The apps you see in the app switcher are suspended and don't consume a single CPU cycle. If your foreground app needs RAM the suspended ones will be thrown away by the system.

There are a few exceptions like listening to music, VOIP and so on when the app can actually do something in the background (also background app refresh, but you can turn it off on a per app basis).

If you keep on killing say WhatsApp all the time, and yet launching it dozens of times per day, you are using *more* resources because it needs to be started from scratch every single time.

Just don't do it.

Mikegoat1

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2018

This is how and it does exist

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.