Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leeuk321

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 21, 2018
When taking photos on an iPhone in a cropped format (Square or 16:9), does anyone know of a way to stop the native 4:3 images also being pulled through when importing? If I connect using USB and import with Preview, both the native 4:3 image and cropped images come through (as "IMG_...HEIC" and "IMG_E...HEIC"). Since I also take photos in native 4:3 format, I can't just simply order by filename and delete the native photos.

I've tried using the Photos app, since I've got it synced in iCloud. However, if you export photos in their unmodified HEIC format, you only get the native aspect ratio. If you copy/paste, it actually copies the HEIC photo in the intended aspect ratio, which is great, but with a gobbledegook file name (e.g. "C22E9606-2463-44FC-AFCA-1ADE3FBCF1BC_1_201_a.HEIC". So, that almost solves the problem, but I'm not sure if I can live with that mess.

Now, I appreciate Apple's intention in letting you keep the native non-cropped format, and that might be really great for some people, but for my workflow it's driving me crazy. Does anyone know of a way of making it so it only stores/imports the photo in the chosen aspect ratio? Or, failing that, is there another camera app which gives you this functionality?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.