Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

80GB HDD

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2020
When done with everything above, edit the Info.plist at AppleIntelHD3000Graphics.kext/C*
Have to add after VRAMOverrride the VRAMSize key, it will be like this:
<key>VRAMOverride</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>VRAMSize</key>
<integer>1024</integer>
I am stuck on that part. After disabling system integrity protection and running those commands, I read and re-read the whole info.plist file and tried cmd f and couldn't find anything to to with the sample in the quote above. After restarting my mac, it still had 512MB vram. Could this be because it is a 15" macbook pro therefore also having dedicated gpu (I doubt it but knowledge is very limited in this subject).

Any help highly appreciated.

joel.dbayan

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2021
Terminal command to increase vRAM for HD3000 graphics (Mac mini 2011 or MacBook Pro 2011)

From *MB - The amount of vRAM you currently have. You can find it in System Profiler.

From 256MB to 384MB

From 256MB to 512MB

From 384MB to 1GB

From 384MB to 512MB

From 512MB to 1GB

(Thanks to user Grama for the following tutorial!)
When done with everything above, edit the Info.plist at AppleIntelHD3000Graphics.kext/C*
Have to add after VRAMOverrride the VRAMSize key, it will be like this:
<key>VRAMOverride</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>VRAMSize</key>
<integer>1024</integer>

Add these last two lines (VRAMSize integer value should match with the value you picked to edit the first kext, save it and patch and fix the extensions with Kext Utility and you are good to go!
Hello,

My system profiler says that my Graphics hd3000 is on 512mb. i wish to increase it to 1gb. I have 8gb memory at the moment. I am not that confident on using Terminal. I tried the instructions from 512mb to 1gb, but the after the 2nd line it saying operation not allowed or something.

I tried continuing with the other but after the re-start.. it's still the same. I am not sure what to do. I hope someone can help me. thank you.

jdmc

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2018
Do these commands also work for Intel HD Graphics 3000 and Big Bur?
That's an interesting question. According to a search I just did using EveryMac.com, there are no Mac models that came with Intel HD Graphics 3000 which also natively support Big Sur. Therefore I assume in this scenario you'd be using some sort of hack to shoehorn Big Sur onto older hardware. I have Catalina running on a 2011 Mac mini (which, incidentally, has the HD3000 graphics) courtesy of the Dosdude1 Catalina patcher, but I haven't tried Big Sur on it, so I can't personally tell you whether it would work or not.

If I had to guess, I would expect that the technique for increasing the maximum RAM allocation for use by the HD3000 graphics subsystem would work, in the sense that the max allocation would, in fact, change. However, based on my own experiments with this technique in Mojave and Catalina a couple of years ago, I wouldn't expect this to produce a significant real-world improvement in graphics functionality. But I could be wrong, and if anyone reading this has a counterexample to share, I'd be curious to learn about it.

desagradable

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2020
hi
for people owning a 13" 2011 mbp and upping video ram .... did it help? Did you notice an improvement in performance on anything?
This is a very old thread and perhaps with it there has already been enough time for those who still occupy a 2011 to realize if in the long run it serves something -or not- to increase the vram.
I stay tuned to your comments. thanks in advance.

dr.zeissler

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2018
For VRAM increase it's not about the performance because it's the same.
It's only about using hires-textures-options in some games that require more than 512MB VRAM.
The max used VRAM is 1024MB, no byte more, regardless what the info shows.

I use 10.9.5 on my 2011 i7 mini. In my opinion best os for that system.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.