Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

6464mac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2018
macbook 2,1 (mid-2007)
4GB ram
snow leopard
windows 7 64_bit (i hope to install)

according to apple, the mac only takes 32 bit officially.
i hear there are unofficial ways to go 64?
i don't want to delete snow leopard, though.

i'm in the same boat as this poster here, and the answer says to modify the windows install disc, but i don't know how?:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3776508

also i found your page about mac pros, not sure if i can do the same on macbooks?:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/installing-windows-7-10-x64-on-mac-pro-1-1-2-1.2037620/

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
As long as it has a Core *2* Duo CPU, you CAN run windows 64 bit.

If it is indeed a C2D, not just "Core Duo", then just install windows 7 64bit like any regular old PC. Bootcamp drivers are unnecessary, Windows will install all the MacBooks drivers on it's own, and bootcamp software will just complain about it being "unsupported"

If you're trying to dualboot just make sure you don't accidentally erase your OS X partition. All the bootcamp utility does is make a FAT32 partition called "BOOTCAMP" and look for a "supported" Windows disc. You can accomplish the same effect by using Disk Utility to make another partition.

6464mac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2018
thanks. yes it indeed has "core 2 duo."

i had done what you described, and i actually made 2 install discs - 1. windows 7 32 , and 2. windows 7 64.
i was able to install and run 32 smoothly, but, when i inserted the 64 disc, i ran into the same situation as the guy at https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3776508. (basically getting a black screen telling me to choose cd1 or cd2 at installation start up and being unable to proceed.)

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
thanks. yes it indeed has "core 2 duo."

i had done what you described, and i actually made 2 install discs - 1. windows 7 32 , and 2. windows 7 64.
i was able to install and run 32 smoothly, but, when i inserted the 64 disc, i ran into the same situation as the guy at https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3776508. (basically getting a black screen telling me to choose cd1 or cd2 at installation start up and being unable to proceed.)

Interesting. I used to have a 32bit EFI MacBook Pro that I had no problems installing 64bit onto. It was dualbooting Mountain Lion and Win7 64 actually. Windows doesn't even see these older macs as an (U)EFI computer, windows gets installed in CSM which is a traditional BIOS emulator and doesn't care if its 32bit or 64bit.

I do have two MacBook 2,1s, like yours that I picked up at an e-waste center, I'll see if I can re-produce whats happening with yours.

6464mac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2018
thanks! yes i'd love to know how your macbook 2,1 does. i love that you picked it up at an e-waste center lol :)sounds like i have a pretty worthless e-garbagie machine :p

btw i'm not good with tech, so i didn't really understand what you said about CSM, BIOS, EFI etc. sorry! :oops:

but um... i see that you successfully dualbooted "mountain lion" and win 64 on your MBP.
so maybe mountain lion is what i need? instead of using snow leopard's bootcamp?
i remember i couldn't even make a usb win 32 installer with snow leopard, so i had to make a dvd one, not sure if that's related to my main problem... :confused:

oh, and just a thought, maybe your MBP falls into category 5 (64) and not 4 (32) according to this apple guide? Mine falls into 4 (32). you can see the compatibility chart at the bottom: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205016 "Learn about the requirements and steps to install Microsoft Windows 7 on your Mac with Boot Camp."

Last edited:

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
thanks! yes i'd love to know how your macbook 2,1 does. i love that you picked it up at an e-waste center lol :)sounds like i have a pretty worthless e-garbagie machine :p

btw i'm not good with tech, so i didn't really understand what you said about CSM, BIOS, EFI etc. sorry! :oops:

but um... i see that you successfully dualbooted "mountain lion" and win 64 on your MBP.
so maybe mountain lion is what i need? instead of using snow leopard's bootcamp?
i remember i couldn't even make a usb win 32 installer with snow leopard, so i had to make a dvd one, not sure if that's related to my main problem... :confused:

This week on one of my off days, I will get 7 64bit on my 2,1 MacBook.

Windows on the Mac has nothing to do with what version of Mac OS is installed on it. You can run only Windows if you wanted to. Mountain Lion is "unsupported" on the 2,1 MacBook but is also the last one that unofficially runs perfect on it.

A BIOS is what you see before starting the OS on a computer, "Basic Input/Output System". This is what PC's have used up until the last few years which switched to UEFI, which is more or less a modernized BIOS.
Intel Macs were amongst the first computers to use this, and had a rather crappy implementation of it until 2009.
CSM on the Mac is a "classic BIOS" emulator. It's essentially a regular old PC BIOS for windows to use.
I hope that helps clear up some of your confusion. I'm not too great at explaining stuff to less-knowledgeable people.

6464mac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2018
yes, it does clear up some :p thanks! and sorry i think i added the last paragraph to my last reply a few seconds before i just got yours lol :oops:

6464mac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2018
hi not sure if anyone is watching this thread any more but anyone? :D

technano

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2012
I also have a similar macbook black, instead of yours macbook white.

I did tried to run linux on it. it works. maybe, installing ubuntu as an alternative? as its closer to the Mac interface

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.