How's everyone's black iPhone 7 holding up without a case?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by daynoock, Feb 8, 2017.

1. daynoock macrumors member

There's lots online about the jet black model and how they're shaping up after a few months of use, I'm curious what people's matte iPhones are like now.

I have the matte black but either have it wrapped in a skin or in a leather case because I don't want to get it scuffed up!

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

Some discussions in various threads like:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/iphone-7-matte-black-durability.2026527/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/iphone-7-matte-black-was-meant-be-used-caseless.2012367/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/matte-black-owners-hows-your-lightning-port-holding-up.2010080/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/matte-black-coating-coming-off.2006585/

3. daynoock thread starter macrumors member

4. Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

5. avtella macrumors regular

I have the same case, on my jet black, slim and yet very protective.

6. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

The point is: why start a separate discussion instead of joining those.

7. daynoock thread starter macrumors member

Is that a question?

8. borgsauce macrumors regular

borgsauce

I think it's because of the assumption that visibility or priority is given to newer posts rather than existing ones.

9. daynoock thread starter macrumors member

I didn't think it'd cause a problem to make a new thread.. I was just curious about how people's phones were holding up

10. Dave Meadows macrumors 68020

Dave Meadows

Which Spigen case is that?

11. imanidiot Suspended

You have a point.

12. Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

Spigen liquid armor black case

13. uwdude macrumors 6502a

Mine held up really well, still not a scratch on the matte black part, and I even dropped it and it slid a foot or so on pavement. It's very durable.

14. daynoock thread starter macrumors member

Good to know, thanks

15. borgsauce macrumors regular

borgsauce

The way I see it it's a dilemma. If you use a case, you might be spared from drop damages but if you use one your phone is more likely to get scratches from the inevitable particles that manages to rest in between the case. I think for those who want to be super protective you can stick a skin on it then slap a case on it. Problem solved lol

16. uwdude macrumors 6502a

My reasoning is, you're only using this thing for 12 months, maybe 24 if you really are cheap and don't want to pay for the yearly upgrade. Might as well just use the thing as is. Have the insurance for if it gets really damaged, otherwise enjoy it and use it. This is like how people used to put plastic all over their furniture, lol.

BTW cool username. Although I just can't picture a borg having sex.

17. Dave Meadows macrumors 68020

Dave Meadows

I have AppleCare plus but still not sure how it works. I mean, how bad does your phone have to be before they'll replace it? If you scratch it all over they won't replace it will they?

18. borgsauce macrumors regular

borgsauce

It has to be a damage that might hinder usability or broken beyond repair. And a bit of luck with the " genius". Scratches are cosmetic damages due to wear and tear that does not warrant a replacement.

Thanks it popped in my head awhile back thinking of Seven of nine from star trek :D

Unfortunately I do change phones very often and I really don't like scratches on my phone. I would baby the **** out of it but as soon as I see that bit of scratch I end up misusing the phone all throughout. It's stupid but it's how it is. I've got a leather case on and a screen protector and that's as far as protection goes for me.

19. daynoock thread starter macrumors member

I've been using mine with a black skin for the last week and it feels so thin, much better than in a case

20. Dave Meadows macrumors 68020

Dave Meadows

The other thing is is that I'm on the Apple upgrade programme where they'll take this phone back in exchange for the new model. So I guess it doesn't matter as much about scratches (apart from myself that is)?

21. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

You guys have better luck with clear cases. I've tried about 6 with my JB. Another on the way. That wet, rainbow, ugly effect is horrendous. Yet I want to show off the color! Bah.

22. MacDevil7334 macrumors 6502a

MacDevil7334

I've had my matte black 7 since the day after launch. There are a couple of small nicks down to the silver aluminum on two corners from an accidental drop, which was to be expected. Unfortunately, I also have several small (around the size of a pin head) nicks on the bottom along the speaker grill. These are just from resting the phone in the cup holder of my car while driving, which is disappointing since that's just normal use. Overall, I'd say the matte black finish isn't quite as durable as space grey, though it's certainly better than the slate finish on the iPhone 5.

23. jyn1989 macrumors newbie

jyn1989

24. Cole Slaw macrumors 6502a

Cole Slaw

That's a pretty neat idea. Too bad they don't have it for Plus model iPhones, though.