HP Exec Leaves for Apple

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
In the wake of Carly Fiorina's termination from HP last week, another HP exec is leaving this week.

Allison Johnson, HP's senior vice president of marketing, is leaving HP for a position at Apple.

The marketing guru is leaving HP to take a top marketing post at Apple Computer. She will become vice president of worldwide marketing communications, reporting to CEO Steve Jobs, an Apple representative told News.com
Johnson has previously worked at Apple and was with HP since 1999.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i wonder if this means apple will be a larger aggressor when it comes to their marketing campaigns

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
woohoo?
Aside from possible experience brought in, can anyone that knows let us in on how this could be a good thing? Any examples?

~Tyler

velocityg4

macrumors 601
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Hopefully apple will start advertising other products on TV rather than just the iPod. (As long as it isn't a flop like that Switch one)

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
SuperChuck said:
HP's latest marketing campaigns have been really top-notch. This sounds like a good thing to me.
Good point. HP's ads in the UK (don't know if they're the same as US ones) have been really good recently.

I really do hope this new person brings change to Apples apparent current view that they don't need to advertise (except for the iPod) :rolleyes:

Ambrose Chapel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Massachusetts
velocityg4 said:
Hopefully apple will start advertising other products on TV rather than just the iPod. (As long as it isn't a flop like that Switch one)
they can have an ad showing someone with a PC, deleting viruses, clicking to close pop-ups, watching spyware take over, then calmly unplugging everything from the PC, taking it away, returning with a mini, plugging everything back in to the mini, and getting on with their day.

utah_boy2

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2003
Middle of Utah
I like the idea of more and better ad's.

It seems to me apple never really had many ad's.

If people saw what they could be using they might be more likely to switch, Not many people are familer enough with apple products.

Jordan

sjpetry

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2004
Tamarindo, Costa Rica
edesignuk said:
Good point. HP's ads in the UK (don't know if they're the same as US ones) have been really good recently.

I really do hope this new person brings change to Apples apparent current view that they don't need to advertise (except for the iPod) :rolleyes:
I want some Mac Mini and iMac G5 ads. :cool:

And nice Avatar. :)

johnbro23

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
Ambrose Chapel said:
they can have an ad showing someone with a PC, deleting viruses, clicking to close pop-ups, watching spyware take over, then calmly unplugging everything from the PC, taking it away, returning with a mini, plugging everything back in to the mini, and getting on with their day.

I really like that idea. Apple should actually turn to us to get ideas for their commercials. We probably have better ideas combined than they do. Also, we know PC users personally, and many of us were former PC users, so we have a better idea of what a PC user can relate to.

Porchland

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2004
Georgia
Ambrose Chapel said:
Doesn't sound very "Apple," which usually features its products very minimally. There may be examples that I'm not remembering, but Apple doesn't typically lay out its product against someone else's and say "ours is better." The executives will lay those comparisons out in road shows, but you seldom see it in ads or at apple.com.

The iPod campaign is a perfect example. It's all about color, cool, dancing and iPods. Not about how the iPod is better than the new Rio.

And HP has positioned itself lately as that sort of brand. HP's current TV campaign focuses on HP as a source for creative tools and an involved player in creativity from "Shrek" to scrapbooks. I would take the hiring of a major HP marketing executive as a signal that Apple wants help marketing its more mainstream products -- computers, software and peripherals -- and not just for TV spots. Apple is growing its market share, in part by spreading its availability, and there's a ton of marketing thought that goes into that kind of an expansion.

Apple is cautiously -- though not very subtly -- repositioning itself as a lifestyle brand.

Porchland

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2004
Georgia
johnbro23 said:
I really like that idea. Apple should actually turn to us to get ideas for their commercials. We probably have better ideas combined than they do. Also, we know PC users personally, and many of us were former PC users, so we have a better idea of what a PC user can relate to.
Since the company's value has tripled in the last year, I'd say it's doing just fine without our ad pitches.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
At face value, this sounds like a good thing. I'm going to refrain from giving this a positive or negative rating for now because I know practically nothing about "Allison". Does anyone here know if "Allison" knows how to deal with Steve Jobs' personality?

Eevee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2004
New Haven, CT
Ambrose Chapel said:
That's a great idea! But instead of a mini, maybe a G5 PM? (Not a big fan of the mini, though one of the goals of introducing the mini is to bring PC people to the mac world).

Great news for apple! :cool:

mcmav37

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2004
Ann Arbor, MI
billystlyes said:
Why no Mac mini ads? It makes no sense!
I think one reason we haven't seen Mac mini ads yet is that Apple has (hopefully) realized it would be silly to advertise something that they can't even deliver yet. If I saw a product and got all excited about it and then found out that I had to wait 3-4 weeks to get it, I would be upset. I would expect a new Apple marketing campaign once the supply has reached current demand, or at least once Tiger is released. Of course, Apple is also aggresively pushing the iPod shuffle all over the airwaves and it seems to be backordered as well-- although there are the reports of it showing at Best Buy, etc.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
mcmav37 said:
I think one reason we haven't seen Mac mini ads yet is that Apple has (hopefully) realized it would be silly to advertise something that they can't even deliver yet. If I saw a product and got all excited about it and then found out that I had to wait 3-4 weeks to get it, I would be upset. I would expect a new Apple marketing campaign once the supply has reached current demand, or at least once Tiger is released. Of course, Apple is also aggresively pushing the iPod shuffle all over the airwaves and it seems to be backordered as well-- although there are the reports of it showing at Best Buy, etc.
Any attempts by Apple to market their products more directly will simply backfire until Apple gets their continual supply issues sorted out, or at least make it so that the backlogs of orders and shipping delays aren't quite so long.