HP iPod Photo

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
At the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, Carly Fiorina, CEO of Hewlett-Packard, announced that starting later this year HP will sell a version of the iPod photo. Story at CNET news.com.

The first HP iPod was discussed in this MacRumors news story: HP iPod To Appear September 5?.

hcuar

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2004
Dallas
I suppose it's going to be a normal iPod with an HP sticker? <nelson voice> haha </nelson voice>

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
This can only mean one thing:

G5 PowerBooks that dock into the new iHome Media Centre and bluetooth sync with 80GB video & satellite radio iPods @ MWSF!!!

Or then again, maybe it just means that HP will sell iPod photo's later this year...

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Gone but not forgotten.
jimsowden said:
I really don't like the whole concept.
What concept? You don't like the iPod photo or you don't like HP marketing them?

I think it's better that HP market them than Apple. I can finally get an extended warranty that works in Floriduh and there are so many more outlets where you can buy one and discounts.

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
bousozoku said:
What concept? You don't like the iPod photo or you don't like HP marketing them?

I think it's better that HP market them than Apple. I can finally get an extended warranty that works in Floriduh and there are so many more outlets where you can buy one and discounts.
I don't think that's unusual...it's a limited time deal (the U2 iPod). I just wonder why they aren't selling the mini!

vwcruisn

macrumors regular
May 7, 2003
Santa Monica, Ca
i was in radio shack the other day and i overheard a woman asking a salesman about the HP ipod... "whats the difference between this one and the one made by apple?" the guy quickly replied "well the apple ipod only works with an apple computer while the HP works with both." she said "oh its a good thing i asked, i have a pc at home"

i had to bite my tongue to not walk over to the counter and tell him he was full of sh*t.

WannaWiki

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2004
ipodding by HP is a good thing

ipodding by HP is def. a good thing. it will convince more people to buy the ipod, even if it confuses some of the dumber consumers. Better than having HP develop their own and compete I say.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
vwcruisn said:
i was in radio shack the other day and i overheard a woman asking a salesman about the HP ipod... "whats the difference between this one and the one made by apple?" the guy quickly replied "well the apple ipod only works with an apple computer while the HP works with both." she said "oh its a good thing i asked, i have a pc at home"

i had to bite my tongue to not walk over to the counter and tell him he was full of sh*t.
You should of. Its confusion like this that will hurt the "iPod will help sell more macs" idea. Apple does a good job of saying Mac or PC on their iPods. I dont see the need to have HP branded ones, other than it gets itunes pre-installed on al HPs now.

dsharits

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2004
Plant City, FL
A bigger problem is that she thought it was made by HP. If I had been there to hear that, I would've, well let's just say, straightened him out. Honestly, I love RadioShack, but the reps that push these PC products to customer who don't know any better, it just floors me. It's the same with all PC vendors, though.

Daniel

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
dsharits said:
A bigger problem is that she thought it was made by HP. If I had been there to hear that, I would've, well let's just say, straightened him out. Honestly, I love RadioShack, but the reps that push these PC products to customer who don't know any better, it just floors me. It's the same with all PC vendors, though.

Daniel
RadioShack, you've got questions, we've got blank stares.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Not surprising, and in the end, good for Apple. I wonder if HP will try and bundle the HP iPod photo with HP photo editing software for use with HP digital cameras? ;)

corywoolf

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2004
x86isslow said:
interesting that hp skipped the U2 edition
apple has an exclusive deal with U2 which means NO HP lol,

i am sick of all the kids who talk to me about their ipods they got for christmas and ask if i have heard of them? i have had 5 ipods, through the compusa deal of course! i don't like to brag. but damn, you guys know what i'm saying. apple markets their products towards these people so it was expected. most chicks that got a pink ipod mini, including my step sister, say "it's a cool fashion accessorie. well, if a $250 ipod mini is a fashion accessorie, at least it supports apple. i need apple to come out with something that is functional and that I can sport that isn't so mainstream. people ask me why i got the cheap ipod. i tell them it's bigger because it has a color screen and a heck of a lot more space. well, i just learned to go along with it, so lately i have told them that i am dirt broke so i could only afford this enormus ipod with a color screen and not that ultra expensive ipod mini. WoW ;)

wileypen

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2004
Awesome. A second manufacturer so I won't have to wait for a product I have absolutely no use for.

virus1

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2004
LOST
vwcruisn said:

lmao..

imo think its good hp is selling the ipod.. brilliant marketing on both of thier parts.. since it is still apple branded, it should have the same effect on apple's success because hp is everywhere..

rhpenguin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2003
London, Ontario
Well, i know what my next iPod is going to be.... Unlike Apple, HP actually offers a decent warranty on it. And seing as how i now work on the service line for the iPod+HP i can setup my own repairs and whatnot..

btw... If any of you out there have an iPod+HP and call for support and speak to a guy named Eric, thats me :)

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
vwcruisn said:

The only reason why they said that was because the sales person wanted to make a sale. They work off a commision so selling an ipod will be a nice lump of cash....
But why didn't u say something (not bashing you) i'm so noisey. I like to test sales people out to see how much they know... its really funny the stuff they come up with sometimes.. :p

mox358

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2002
Indiana
mrgreen4242 said:
RadioShack, you've got questions, we've got blank stares.
Hold on a sec... not ALL Radioshack associates are that bad. I work at a RS and am a HUGE Apple guy. I know lots about my iPod, and thus I can better inform people about what an iPod can/can't do and how it works. I have fixed a few in-store that just needed a reset, while other people who work there were clueless.

To further "educate" my co-workers, I burned them all copies of iTunes for Windows last week. :) I was surprised last week when a customer came in asking for a Macintosh computer however. Even though we have none, and I would probably be shot for not trying to talk them into an hp or Compaq, I informed them about the Apple Store in Keystone and told them to go check it out. :) So not all RS associates are dumbasses, just a few. Educate them, step in, tell them I said to :D

mox358

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2002
Indiana
puckhead193 said:
The only reason why they said that was because the sales person wanted to make a sale. They work off a commision so selling an ipod will be a nice lump of cash....
But why didn't u say something (not bashing you) i'm so noisey. I like to test sales people out to see how much they know... its really funny the stuff they come up with sometimes.. :p
True... we do work off commision, and yea, an iPod is a really good sale. :cool: There are always a few salesman who will do anything, even lie to make a sale, but thats business. I like to think of myself as an honest salesman (as much as that sounds like an oxymoron). I've given up many a good sale when I realized that the customer didn't really know what they were buying, or was buying the wrong thing. It all works out in the end though, rest assured; if we get something returned, it counts off your commision for the next day. Its alot harder to get commision when you start off the day $400 in the hole. :cool: But give SOME of us RS people a break.

( Sorry, I just really like my job - its an awesome place to work. This thread just seemed a little on the negative side towards RS and I'm trying to clear up any misconceptions, I apologize if I seem a little defensive.)