MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Last week, we noted that Microsoft is preparing to relaunch its vision of tablets at January's Consumer Electronics Show (CES) 2011 in Las Vegas. Despite a tablet-focused keynote by Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer at CES 2010, Apple's iPad has stolen the show and dominated the tablet market this year as competitors have stumbled trying to bring their products to market.

One of the prototype tablets demoed by Ballmer at CES 2010 was a "slate" from HP, which eventually did come to market in modified form as a business-focused tablet running Windows as originally demoed. But HP has seen fit to reboot its tablet strategy in the wake of its acquisition of Palm earlier this year, reportedly shifting gears to base its forthcoming consumer-focused tablets on a tweaked version of Palm's webOS.

142258-palmpad_500.jpg

Images from spec sheet for HP's PalmPad
FoxNews.com now reports that HP/Palm is planning to introduce three models of the "PalmPad" at CES 2011. According to the report, the PalmPad will be similar in many respects to the iPad, although it will offer front- and rear-facing cameras and sport mini HDMI and USB 3.0 ports.
HP will introduce three models of the PalmPad at CES, with minor hardware differences distinguishing them. All three will run a new iteration of the WebOS operating system, version 2.5.1; they're collectively a spin-off of the never-released HP Slate. A fourth version won't be shown off at CES, I'm told, but it will be custom made for university students to prove how versatile the machines can be.

The consumer version of the PalmPad will run on Sprint's fast 4G network, but otherwise it has hardware specs nearly identical to Apple's iPad. There are minor differences, of course: It has a mini HDMI port, for example, while the iPad requires a special dongle for video output. And there are front- and rear-facing cameras (1.3 megapixel and 3 megapixel, respectively), both with LED flashes.
Sources indicate that the PalmPad will be available in March 2011, likely bumping right up against the release of the second-generation iPad if recent rumors are correct in pointing to a yearly refresh cycle for the device.

Article Link: HP Preps 'PalmPad' for CES 2011 Debut

HarryKeogh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
And in about 15 minutes we'll see a dozen news stories asking "Is this the iPad-killer?"

Comment

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
WebOS version 2.5.1 ?

not quite sure how it will compete against both iOS and Android.

P.

Comment

lyngo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
Interesting...

As a webOS user, I have to say that this will be interesting. I think that it might be a good move in order to lure more developers over to webOS. Hopefully, however, the hardware will prove to be better than the Palm Pre and Pixi editions of the OS software.

Comment

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Chunky and weird.

Is the tap at the bottom to shove in-between the rolls of stomach and abdomen fat to keep it held for the user?

Comment

carmenodie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
who give a d*** what HP brings out. It will be short lived anyway.
Once all them cheap as hell tablets running honeycomb saturate(to be sold in CVS, Rite Aid, Walgreens for almost nothing) the market, HP's own honeycomb tablet will bite the dust.

Comment

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
So mix together HP's tablet experience with Palm's smart phone experience, call it version 1.0 of this new hybrid, and think it's going to hit a home run from day one?

Nah, me either. Should be interesting to see all these iPad clones and wannabes clutter up CES in 2011. But the odds of HP getting it right is not good given their recent history.

But hey, betcha Ballmer waves one of them around anyway.

Comment

MacMan67

macrumors member
May 10, 2010
Lawrencetown NS
Can someone help me here, why HDMI? Airplay works well and I don't have to have the iPad tethered, and can use it as a remote. Apple TV travels well and works with my iPhone, iPad, and my kids iPods...(yes I actually have all 3). Even my 8 year old loves using the iPad on the big screen.

Its easy to use, involves minimal setup and the whole family can figure it out and I can run optical out to my home theatre.

So why do I want HDMI again?

Comment

azentropy

macrumors 68030
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
WebOS is a pretty slick OS, much more polished than any version of Android I've used. Problem is they have fell behind in the 3rd party app market and it will take a pretty awesome product to draw developers back.

Comment

nwcs

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
I think we'll see a lot of these catch up to what the iPad currently is. The big question I wonder about is what Apple will do to push the iPad further. They had to know everyone would copy them and catch up. I hope they've used their first mover head start wisely.

Comment

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010

So you can wave a checklist at reporters and say "We got this and iPad does not!"

And no, nobody else will miss it either. While HP tablet users will lug their tablets over the the TV and plug it in, iPad users will just flick their videos wirelessly while sipping a cool beverage.

Comment

Bytor65

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2010
Canada
First mover advantage (or equivalent) goes to Apple. Next year will give us a sea of competing tablets, with a dozens of Androids, RIMs playbook, HPs Palmpad, and a few Windows, and some tiny amount of other Linux variants.

I expect iPad will keep 50%+ of the market and everything will still be compared to iPad, with Android in strong second place driven by the sheer number of models.

The battle for third RIM/HP/MS is a tossup. There should be more Microsoft models, but MS has been at this game for 10 years with pretty much no success and it doesn't look like they have altered the failing formula yet. I give the edge to RIM in the battle for third capturing BB fanatics... I'll give MS fourth and HPalm 5th...

Comment

cocky jeremy

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2008
1.3MP and 3.0MP cameras? Why even add cameras? It's going to look like a 1995 cell phone picture.

Comment

azentropy

macrumors 68030
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Can someone help me here, why HDMI? Airplay works well and I don't have to have the iPad tethered, and can use it as a remote. Apple TV travels well and works with my iPhone, iPad, and my kids iPods...(yes I actually have all 3). Even my 8 year old loves using the iPad on the big screen.

Its easy to use, involves minimal setup and the whole family can figure it out and I can run optical out to my home theatre.

Do you carry a AppleTV with you everywhere you go? Every new TV has HDMI and many video projectors also have it. So with HDMI you can hook it to any "new" TV right out of the box - can't say that for the iPad.

Comment

nwcs

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
Consumers may not need it but it is a bullet point that will intrigue people who are swayed by bullet points. Just like megapixels on a camera. They ceased to be a useful measure of quality many years ago but people still focus on them.

Comment

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
WebOS is beautiful work. Sadly there are a lot of undiscriminating buyers out there who are lapping up Android instead. :(

Comment

addicted44

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2005
As a webOS user, I have to say that this will be interesting. I think that it might be a good move in order to lure more developers over to webOS. Hopefully, however, the hardware will prove to be better than the Palm Pre and Pixi editions of the OS software.

Of the 4 major Touch OS'es, (WP7, iOS, Android, WebOS) I always felt WebOS was the most suited for a tablet form factor.

Unfortunately, it has no momentum, and is following 2 established (iOS and Android) competitors, as well as WP7, which while not established, is being pushed by one of the most successful SW platform companies.

Comment

Cresence

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2010
Two doors over
Woe Be To Ye Unrighteous

Nothing like a catchy subject line to grab the attention...Anyway, the PalmPad may amount to something, but not in 2011. And any company that has to rely on the CES for market penetration has already lost out.

So what's REALLY going to happen in January? First off, Stevie J, who can command his own stage and simply blow off the CES, will announce a second gen iPad on either January 18 or 25, with delivery to consumers on Friday, April 1. And then he's going to make a play for the entire ereader market by cutting the base iPad price to $379-399 and taking Amazon's Kindle DX head-on. The DX is SO dated, and the entire ereader market is easy pickin's. Stevie just won't be able to resist.

But remember, there's MORE!! Splashy is in. Steve LOVES splashy, especially when he's doing the talking, so bet on some January razzle-dazzle that goes beyond the routine market murmurings to date. Exactly what? Remember, Apple is so secretive that the NSA looks like the NYT in comparison, but maybe something like an iOS 5.0 announcement. Or real-time 3-D geo positioning with the voice of your choice...

Plan on another ball in 2011, boys and girls. Stevie didn't merely create the tablet market, he wants it ALL and is going to keep doing slam-dunks just as long as he can. 2010 was just a taste.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.