Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
:)

I am not saying my HR is recorded continuously. I understand that is done via the workout app.

My argument is HR is recorded anything from 1 min to 15 mins (not every 5 mins, although there is only a mention of 10 mins in 2015 and no mention of time after that via Apple support docs). I understand it's not supposed to record based on movement but it did (as per my provided screenshots of watchOS3 and os4). That's why I mentioned, it has been reported to Apple.

This happened on not just the two apple watches I had but also those of my friends and work colleagues. Again, which is why I reported to Apple.

To be honest you did claim:
Mlrollin91 - "Oh and no where did I make any claim about battery life except that my S3 is 5x better than my S0"
Mlrollin91 - "My S3 battery life lasts 5x longer than my S0"

I said MY battery life is 5x better. And I have the stats to back up my point. I love how you are failing to mention that quote. You continue to cherry pick.

“I would put my S0 on the dock after 18 hours with 20% remaining. My S3 has 80% remaining after 18 hours. Just because YOUR S0 lasts 2 days doesn't mean anyone else's does.”

So yes, I get 5x battery life on my S3 compared to MY S0.

Now you are just wasting my time intentionally.

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
UK
I said MY battery life is 5x better. And I have the stats to back up my point. I love how you are failing to mention that quote. You continue to cherry pick.

“I would put my S0 on the dock after 18 hours with 20% remaining. My S3 has 80% remaining after 18 hours. Just because YOUR S0 lasts 2 days doesn't mean anyone else's does.”

So yes, I get 5x battery life on my S3 compared to MY S0.

Now you are just wasting my time intentionally.
S0 - 18 hours (20% left)
S3 5 x battery life

Nearly 4 day battery life on the S3

That's not bad at all :) I might upgrade to one. It records HR while walking as well! :)

With OS3, HR wasn't just recorded during no movement but also during movement. I suspect more are doing the same thing (there are millions out there). So, it's either by design or a bug. As mentioned I reported to Apple.

I showed evidence of the HR rates during cycling with WatchOS3 vs 4. I showed HR rates with reading from 1-15 min readings, which were emailed to Apple as part of the beta.

I would rather it work as it did in WatchOS3 due to the battery hit running a workout.

Again, I suspect Apple dropped this feature to push S0 owners towards a newer Apple Watch. I emailed Apple about it already.

That's all my argument was and still is!

That's all! :)

Lot easier when I had a Fitbit Blaze. Records the HR 24/7 every second! :)

The only bug would be when Apple watch recording HR during movement pre-watchOS 4. That was never the intention, and that's how it has always worked for me. I'm not saying it's always been perfect, but that was how it was supposed to function. That is exactly why you have always seen a 1-15 minute range in HR (not collecting during movement). If anything, Apple has just tweaked the algorithm to make it more consistent (also adding the ability to differentiate between being still and walking).

I highly doubt this was differentiation (between S0 and others) was done to drive upgrades... It's a very small thing that very few will notice/care (there are far, far bigger reasons...). I think the processor in S1+ is probably just better at handling this.

I can understand the desire not to waste battery life for non-structured workouts (especially on an old/dying S0 battery), but why do you even care about recording HR during your ride to/from work? Like I said, I wouldn't wanna have these high HR anomalies mixed with my regular HR. Honestly if I were you, I'd probably log the workout and just get an extra charger for work (or transport back and forth) and just throw it on the charger at work for like 20-30 minutes. The watch charges super fast and that should be more than enough to compensate for the workouts.

Yes I absolutely wish Apple Watch recorded continuously as fitbit does... :(

So, because it doesn't happen on your watch, it's impossible to happen on someone else's watch? (this happened on two watches I owned) and those of colleagues. Again, I reported it to Apple.

So multiple of your colleagues also ride their bikes (without starting a workout) and have complained that now the Apple Watch doesn't record their HR while biking? Also you own 2 S0 watches? haha. That seems highly unusual.

Also, I wouldn't hold out hope that series 1+ will do this anymore either. It is designed to calculate HR while "walking". Cycling obviously isn't walking ( :p) and thus would be detected differently via apple watch.

Reactions: Mlrollin91

broadbean

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2007
I seem to recall S0 in its first year recorded heart rate more often. Subsequent updates killed that frequency to prolong batter life before watchOS 3.

But then, it wasn't that long ago my Watch would be nudging me it's time to stand while I was driving interstate...

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
UK
So multiple of your colleagues also ride their bikes (without starting a workout) and have complained that now the Apple Watch doesn't record their HR while biking? Also you own 2 S0 watches? haha. That seems highly unusual.

Also, I wouldn't hold out hope that series 1+ will do this anymore either. It is designed to calculate HR while "walking". Cycling obviously isn't walking ( :p) and thus would be detected differently via apple watch.

I purchased an S0 Sports which was great and HR was recorded all the time. I upgraded to the SS S0 model and it also acted exactly the same. I work in a college and lots of people cycle to college. Fitbits are popular and so are the Apple Watch. One of my colleagues had an SS S0 (DLC coating model) and he used to run for miles and it would always randomly take HR between 1-15mins. Same for cycling. I asked a couple of other work colleagues and there's also did the same thing.

Fast forward to Watch OS4 and when I start cycling to when I finish, nothing. Running/Walking, nothing. Same for my colleagues, which seem consistent with mine.

I understand Apple improved their algorithm, made improvements, etc. Which is why I have reported to Apple.

Imagine I am a non tech guy. I buy an Apple Watch, it records my HR, then one update later, my HR isn't recorded. I would assume it's faulty. What it did for 2.5 years, it now isn't doing. Annoying!

Battery life for me with OS3 and OS4 is exactly the same, so to turn off the HR as a battery saving measure is null and void.

As I mentioned before there are lot of Apple Watches in the wild (millions). The ones I saw acted a certain way, the ones you and Mlrollin91 acted a certain way. Without looking at more watches we don't know how they should have acted and the only guys who really know how the watch functions or why it functions as it does or did is Apple.

I purchased an S0 Sports which was great and HR was recorded all the time. I upgraded to the SS S0 model and it also acted exactly the same. I work in a college and lots of people cycle to college. Fitbits are popular and so are the Apple Watch. One of my colleagues had an SS S0 (DLC coating model) and he used to run for miles and it would always randomly take HR between 1-15mins. Same for cycling. I asked a couple of other work colleagues and there's also did the same thing.

... and the only guys who really know how the watch functions or why it functions as it does or did is Apple.

Yes this is exactly correct. Which is why I direct you to apple’s own words that you quoted previously. The intent of all was for HR to not be recorded during movement. 2015 and 2016 that was the intent. Now they have added a new “during walking” feature for S1+.

Perhaps I’m being dense, but I truly truly don’t understand why a) so many people you know want to workout with their Apple Watch WITHOUT STARTING A WORKOUT and b) why anyone would care if HR is recorded during that non-workout workout. Do people not care about distance, pace, continuous HR??? I can’t imagine why you would care if you don’t get 2-3 HR recordings during a 20 minute bike ride. That literally tells you nothing about your activity.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mlrollin91

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
UK
Today’s HR readings from my watch. Please explain!

I am not using the workout app and this is the periodic/every 10 mins HR readings the watch takes. Definitely, not every 10 mins as per Apple specifications. Watch OS4.

Attachments

• 0B3ECE1A-0FF2-4A47-9586-EE7756E4B0F3.png
    0B3ECE1A-0FF2-4A47-9586-EE7756E4B0F3.png
    95 KB · Views: 107

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Today’s HR readings from my watch. Please explain!

I am not using the workout app and this is the periodic/every 10 mins HR readings the watch takes. Definitely, not every 10 mins as per Apple specifications. Watch OS4.
Really not that complicated...you manually or accidentally “manually” launched the heart rate app.

I do it all the time by mistake.

I’m not entirely sure why I am bothering responding because you will likely dismiss what I say.

And again, as I have mentioned several times. WatchOS 3-4 is every 5. unless “if still”. Again I’m over simplifying it for time sake. If you want me to fully explain why sometimes it’s 3 minutes and sometimes is 10-15 I will. I dealt with Apple Watch Engineers for over 2 months. I had direct contact with heart rate testing as they were using me as a test subject after I originally complained about the changes that watchOS 1.1 brought. Tim Cook’s executive office reached out to me about it.

Feel free to go through my 11,000 posts. There are plenty explaining my engineer contact. Others also were contacted by engineers for heart rate.

Last edited:

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
UK
Really not that complicated...you manually or accidentally “manually” launched the heart rate app.

I do it all the time by mistake.

I’m not entirely sure why I am bothering responding because you will likely dismiss what I say.

And again, as I have mentioned several times. WatchOS 3-4 is every 5. unless “if still”. Again I’m over simplifying it for time sake. If you want me to fully explain why sometimes it’s 3 minutes and sometimes is 10-15 I will. I dealt with Apple Watch Engineers for over 2 months. I had direct contact with heart rate testing as they were using me as a test subject after I originally complained about the changes that watchOS 1.1 brought. Tim Cook’s executive office reached out to me about it.

Feel free to go through my 11,000 posts. There are plenty explaining my engineer contact. Others also were contacted by engineers for heart rate.
It’s like this most of the day and I haven’t launched the HR app (not accidentally). So, looks like another bug report!

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
So OP, did you happen to forget about this thread of yours?

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/heart-rate-monitoring.2043281/

Where you say the following:

I love my apple watch but the heart rate monitor is poor. Taking a reading every 10 mins is pretty pointless. I walk home look at my HR, it's 70.

I checked my heart rate in health. Here are how time between checks.

2 mins
10 mins
2 mins
16 mins
12 mins
18 mins
6 mins
8 mins
2 mins

Looks like it picks up the HR data depending on movement.

On your own, you fully admit that its once every 10 minutes, and that it depends on movement. Making this entire thread entirely moot. Back in April of this year, you were complaining it wasn't continuous. Therefore, your OWN words contradict everything you have stated here.

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
UK
You must be really bored looking at my old posts :)

There is some inaccuracies in this thread. watchOS 1.0 allowed the S0 watch to record your heart rate once every 5 minutes whether you were active or not. watchOS 1.2 changed that to once every 10 minutes if you are still (no arm movement). watchOS 3 changed that to every 5 minutes if you are still (again, no arm movement). watchOS 4 treats the S0 the same as watchOS 3.

You said:
5 or 15 mins?
"For the third time, it records every 5 minutes if you are STILL" - Yes, below WatchOS1.2
"Exactly the same. Once ever 5-15 minutes depending on if I was moving or not" Since 2015 there has been no mention of time on any Apple support document (obviously because it's periodic). I always claimed in this thread it records from 1-15mins. Which would be periodic.

Julien said: ↑
No it doesn't say 10 minutes but this is the 'official' word on how often it reads.

Thank you for posting this. It seems they must have update the support document from the last time I read it when it actually gave a number. I guess they removed that and tweaked the reading times a bit, but as I mentioned earlier, it still only takes it when still or not moving.

Since 2015 there has been no mention of time, everything is based on assumption! Only Apple knows how it is supposed to function.

I understand how the Apple Watch is supposed to work, but it doesn't always work that way in my own personal experiance with two different Apple watches. Hence my screenshots, showing a HR reading was taken a few times in one min (no, I didn't use the HR app) and my HR readings recorded during cycling, when it's not supposed to, but it did. As mentioned many times now, all this has been reported to Apple.

*Update - with 4.1 HR is recorded correctly now, no random HR taken many times a min and only during movement* Ideally, I would like it record as it did on WatchOS3 (which is not as it was supposed to function) but that's ok. It is working as per Apple specs now. I went on two bike rides Sat and Sun and no HR was recorded or dodgy readings. All my feedback to Apple must have helped! :)

From your tone, you obviously don't believe my Apple Watch acted that way. That's no problem. Apple have all the logs confirming this.

"Not a single one, not one, recorded heart rate while walking, running, cycling WITHOUT a work out running."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.