Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
First google copied apple straight after the first iPhone was released, then Samsung, now Huawei ?‍♂️? these companies have no shame.

Still looks hideous, if you're going to copy, at least get it right. ?

DarthDon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2020
I wish they had put that work in linux drivers. arm and an os like Debian - and that thing rocks!

Reactions: Moyapilot

a m u n

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2018
Hmm, I’ve seen this before...

huuu.png

sbrunner

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2015
According to Ars Technica (https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/02/harmonyos-hands-on-huaweis-android-killer-is-just-android/), Harmony OS, is Android 10 with a 's/Android/Harmony OS' string applied. Looks like a mix of marketing plot and Red Star OS ideology. If I would make a wild guess, prob successful in some Asian markets bc of cheap and missing import restrictions, and in the rest of the world a dud. Perhaps something for European discounters, where many consumer exhibit lesser price flexibility. Huawei might manage at least to make Android tablet friendly, which would be a win. For that to be successful, we should see tablet prices in the $100 range, bc what is the point if you get an iPad on sale for $250, which actually works smoothly and has a huge app eco-system.

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2016
Borrowing usually means you plan to return it. I've visited China a few times, and if you've ever walked into an Huawei store or a Xiaomi store, they sure do borrow a lot. The MatePad Pro series of notebooks are just blatant rip offs of Apple Hardware, and the Xiaomi OS (Not sure what it's called) makes their Android Theme look identical to iOS down to the icons.

However what is Apple's recourse in this?
Apple will copy when they fall behind. Like camera from Huawei for example. More will happen as they become peer competitors.

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2016
Without the iPad to copy I doubt matpad would exist. If you want to stifle innovation then copies are the way to do it.
You need the market competitors to catch up so that the price can come down and the leaders have fire under their bottom and keep running forward innovating. You don’t want Apple to rest on their laurels.

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2016
It's not even reverse-engineered, it's currently an Android fork.

They have the 100% independent one, but that will break most of the apk compatibilities. Their strategy is to have a smooth transition, replace just enough so that they can still match Google feature to feature without recompiling the apps. As more developers are okay with recompiling their apps, they will remove more and more parts of Android with their OS components. The most important thing they are targeting right now is the Google Mobile Services or GMS core with Huawei Mobile Services or HMS because that is the only proprietary part of Android and is the only thing that the US government have control over in terms of trade war.

Reactions: dsusanj

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
They both borrowed from 2012 Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1. Have outgrown tablets with mobile OS', though, so more into Surface now. Have Surface Pro X SQ2 and adding Surface Pro 7+.

Samsung_Galaxy_Note_10.1_jeh.jpg

Ever thought of using facts in your posts?

The very first “proper” Android based tablet was the Motorola Xoom released February 2011 (I brought mine in March).

And boy was Honeycomb an absolute train-wreck. I could spent hours just trying apps to upgrade. And there was an absolute absence of apps that took advantage of the Tablet form factor.

Sure there were Samsung tablets before, but they all ran the phone based OS and so we’re basically big phones.

It wasn’t until Ice Cream Sandwich that Google fixed many of the shortcomings of the underlying OS, but the big issue was still the fact that there were very few apps that were built for the tablet firm factor.

Apple pulled out the iPad a year before the Xoom, the OS was rock solid and out the gate there were dedicated iPad apps. And that never stopped. Apple won the tablet war because they were fully committed.

The only decent Nexus tablet was the 7 - and after that Google lost steam fast. Meanwhile Apple were winning hand over fist in the dedicated App space.

Even today there’s a lack of true tablet apps for any Android based tablet - and only Samsung have continued down the road. Sure they’ve got some real nice hardware nowadays, but the software - apps - continues to this day to let Android down.

Sure Samsung had a dedicated “S Pen” before the Apple Pencil, but my oh my, those first versions were “interesting” and didn’t even require you to touch the nub to the screen to write. When Apple did the pencil (ridiculous charging aside) they nailed the usage.

So, remind me how Apple “borrowed” off Samsung when Apple released the first true dedicated tablet with a tablet based App Store?

falainber

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
Ever thought of using facts in your posts?

The very first “proper” Android based tablet was the Motorola Xoom released February 2011 (I brought mine in March).

And boy was Honeycomb an absolute train-wreck. I could spent hours just trying apps to upgrade. And there was an absolute absence of apps that took advantage of the Tablet form factor.

Sure there were Samsung tablets before, but they all ran the phone based OS and so we’re basically big phones.

It wasn’t until Ice Cream Sandwich that Google fixed many of the shortcomings of the underlying OS, but the big issue was still the fact that there were very few apps that were built for the tablet firm factor.

Apple pulled out the iPad a year before the Xoom, the OS was rock solid and out the gate there were dedicated iPad apps. And that never stopped. Apple won the tablet war because they were fully committed.

The only decent Nexus tablet was the 7 - and after that Google lost steam fast. Meanwhile Apple were winning hand over fist in the dedicated App space.

Even today there’s a lack of true tablet apps for any Android based tablet - and only Samsung have continued down the road. Sure they’ve got some real nice hardware nowadays, but the software - apps - continues to this day to let Android down.

Sure Samsung had a dedicated “S Pen” before the Apple Pencil, but my oh my, those first versions were “interesting” and didn’t even require you to touch the nub to the screen to write. When Apple did the pencil (ridiculous charging aside) they nailed the usage.

So, remind me how Apple “borrowed” off Samsung when Apple released the first true dedicated tablet with a tablet based App Store?
Here is what Apple borrowed from Samsung tablets:
* pen support
* multiwindow interface (though Samsung's remains way ahead of iPadOS)
* small form factor

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Here is what Apple borrowed from Samsung tablets:
* pen support
* multiwindow interface (though Samsung's remains way ahead of iPadOS)
* small form factor

I’d argue that they didn’t “borrow” pen support from Samsung as Microsoft had stylus support way before Samsung. Heck, for that matter I used several Palm devices back in the day with stylus’s. Then there were the Compaq devices and even Windows Mobile.

Multi window support was also on Microsoft tablets before Samsung. And the multi window support today on iPadOS is nothing like Samsung’s version, so it’s hardly borrowing it. Is it any good? I’d argue it’s not and I hardly ever use it. Then again it doesn’t bother me a huge amount tbh. Will be interesting to see if iPadOS 15 changes things there.

Small form factor? The Dell streak beat out Samsung for the first Phablet honor - even if it was an unmitigated disaster.

Reactions: Razorpit

falainber

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
I’d argue that they didn’t “borrow” pen support from Samsung as Microsoft had stylus support way before Samsung. Heck, for that matter I used several Palm devices back in the day with stylus’s. Then there were the Compaq devices and even Windows Mobile.

Multi window support was also on Microsoft tablets before Samsung. And the multi window support today on iPadOS is nothing like Samsung’s version, so it’s hardly borrowing it. Is it any good? I’d argue it’s not and I hardly ever use it. Then again it doesn’t bother me a huge amount tbh. Will be interesting to see if iPadOS 15 changes things there.

Small form factor? The Dell streak beat out Samsung for the first Phablet honor - even if it was an unmitigated disaster.
Microsoft tablets were pen only devices (and so were Palms). iPad and Galaxy Tabs are multi touch devices with capacitive screens and touch based UI. Samsung did pioneer all these features on this type of devices. Dell Streak was not really a tablet. It had a 5" screen. Wikipedia says: The Galaxy Tab was the first Android-powered tablet to be released.

magicman32

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2007
- You iPhone screen is probably made by Samsung
- Your iPhone DRAM is made by Samsung or Micron
- Your iPhone Flash-memory is made by Samsung
- The tech in your iPhone A-chip is possible because of TSMC and ASML
- The modem in your iPhone is made by Qualcomm

Lots of Samsung tech in your iPhone, but not the other way around ;)
Really nothing germane to the discussion in your post but hey, congrats on being “that guy” for today.

And don’t act like Samsung doesn’t reap huge benefits from having Apple as a customer. Even though it’s a totally different arm of Samsung but most people still don’t get that.

Apple doesn’t manufacture or fabricate these things and most likely never will. Makes no sense for them to do that. Yet there chip designs and screen calibrations are second to none.

I’m sure Samsung wishes they could put some A-series heft behind their products but, alas, the Exynos whatever-it’s-called now will have to do in the markets they force it on, I suppose.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Microsoft tablets were pen only devices (and so were Palms). iPad and Galaxy Tabs are multi touch devices with capacitive screens and touch based UI. Samsung did pioneer all these features on this type of devices. Dell Streak was not really a tablet. It had a 5" screen. Wikipedia says: The Galaxy Tab was the first Android-powered tablet to be released.

Ohhh - Wikipedia says. Well, you got me, if Wikipedia states that then it must be accurate.

Meanwhile I used my Windows Mobile device in 2009 with both a Stylus and my finger.

And please read my post again - I said the Dell Streak was a Phablet form factor device, not a tablet.

And no the Samsung was NOT the first Android tablet to be released. It was the Xoom. The Samsung came soon after.

The first Samsung devices were large screen devices running the full on phone OS. Aside from the screen, they offered nothing extra in the way of tablets - unlike the iPad.

The Xoom was first announced at CES in January 2011 and released the following month. The 10.1 was announced a month later on February 13th but then held back due to some rework after the iPad 2 came out, not hitting the streets properly until June 2011.

Now, unless you’re employing some freaky time-machine style calendar, June is several months AFTER February.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.