Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PC_tech

Suspended
Jan 17, 2019
Anyway, I wish them well. It’s about time we had some competition in the iPad market (I refuse to use the term “tablet” - that form factor was invented by and is owned by the iPad). If Apple don’t release a significant improvement to iPadOS at WWDC then perhaps this competition will help encourage them to do so next year.
It was not invented by Apple, lord ??

falainber

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
Ohhh - Wikipedia says. Well, you got me, if Wikipedia states that then it must be accurate.

Meanwhile I used my Windows Mobile device in 2009 with both a Stylus and my finger.

And please read my post again - I said the Dell Streak was a Phablet form factor device, not a tablet.

And no the Samsung was NOT the first Android tablet to be released. It was the Xoom. The Samsung came soon after.

The first Samsung devices were large screen devices running the full on phone OS. Aside from the screen, they offered nothing extra in the way of tablets - unlike the iPad.

The Xoom was first announced at CES in January 2011 and released the following month. The 10.1 was announced a month later on February 13th but then held back due to some rework after the iPad 2 came out, not hitting the streets properly until June 2011.

Now, unless you’re employing some freaky time-machine style calendar, June is several months AFTER February.
Wikipedia is correct. Your problem is that you are looking at it from US perspective which is limited. Xoom was released in 2011, Galaxy Tab was introduced on 2 September 2010 at the IFA in Berlin 2010. It was Galaxy Tab 7.0 not 10.1. Dell Streak was a phone. I had a Windows Mobile too. Those had little in common with modern tablets (otherwise you’d have to accept that Apple copied iPad from Windows Mobile phones).

Reactions: PC_tech

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Wikipedia is correct. Your problem is that you are looking at it from US perspective which is limited. Xoom was released in 2011, Galaxy Tab was introduced on 2 September 2010 at the IFA in Berlin 2010. It was Galaxy Tab 7.0 not 10.1. Dell Streak was a phone. I had a Windows Mobile too. Those had little in common with modern tablets (otherwise you’d have to accept that Apple copied iPad from Windows Mobile phones).
Again, you’re missing the point. A tablet sized device running a phone OS is not a tablet as we call it today: It’s a tablet sized device.

And I’m not looking at this from a US perspective. I couldn’t give a rats-patootie about the US perspective here; I’m a Brit so am very aware there’s more to the world than just the US.

The first Samsung devices released with tablet form factors ran FroYo. That meant the entire screen was given over to a single view for an app. No side bars, no nothing extra. They were not Tablets as we understand them today, they were big phones - without the phone part.

When Google announced Honeycomb it was obvious that they were knee-jerked into it due to Apple’s success with the iPad.

The iPad WAS a true tablet, in both form factor and apps. iPad tablet apps took full advantage of the increased screen real estate. They readdressed how a user would interact with apps and they created the modern day tablet experience now enjoyed by both Apple and (mainly) Samsung users alike.

Honeycomb was however a disaster - filled with bugs and only available for a few devices. And Google never pushed the way Jobs did for a raft of Tablet specific apps. And that mistake continues to haunt Android today.

Samsung never invented the Tablet form factor. They didn’t invent the stylus and they didn’t do multi window first either.

What they did do though was to be first to market with a device that encompassed all three of those technologies bundled together.

And that’s a huge difference from where you started claiming Apple “borrowed” those technologies from Samsung.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
Here is what Apple borrowed from Samsung tablets:
* pen support
* multiwindow interface (though Samsung's remains way ahead of iPadOS)
* small form factor

I’d argue that they didn’t “borrow” pen support from Samsung as Microsoft had stylus support way before Samsung. Heck, for that matter I used several Palm devices back in the day with stylus’s. Then there were the Compaq devices and even Windows Mobile.

Multi window support was also on Microsoft tablets before Samsung. And the multi window support today on iPadOS is nothing like Samsung’s version, so it’s hardly borrowing it. Is it any good? I’d argue it’s not and I hardly ever use it. Then again it doesn’t bother me a huge amount tbh. Will be interesting to see if iPadOS 15 changes things there.

Small form factor? The Dell streak beat out Samsung for the first Phablet honor - even if it was an unmitigated disaster.

Microsoft tablets were pen only devices (and so were Palms). iPad and Galaxy Tabs are multi touch devices with capacitive screens and touch based UI. Samsung did pioneer all these features on this type of devices. Dell Streak was not really a tablet. It had a 5" screen. Wikipedia says: The Galaxy Tab was the first Android-powered tablet to be released.
Here's what Samsung borrowed from Wacom:

Reactions: TiggrToo

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
IPadOS needs improvement… makes me wonder why a company would borrow from it. Either way, tablet competition is a good thing.

Mor LED

unclemax

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2015
It's a bit funny. China wants to be America, but their approach to positioning and presenting their products to the world is so different. Take Huawei and Xiaomi, for example. They have not come out with a single feature that would allow them to capture a defined market share in China (everyone uses WeChat for communications and payment, so unless you want to use Apple features with your buddies or family, it doesn't matter which Android phone you use). Moreover, anyone with a little bit of money in China still prefers Apple / western brands in general. Yet they come with these high-end Apple rip-offs, acting like they are on the same level as Apple. Truly, fake it till you make it.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Anyway, I wish them well. It’s about time we had some competition in the iPad market (I refuse to use the term “tablet” - that form factor was invented by and is owned by the iPad). If Apple don’t release a significant improvement to iPadOS at WWDC then perhaps this competition will help encourage them to do so next year.
Like you said, there is no tablet market, only the iPad market.

Reactions: mazz0

Macaholic868

Contributor
Feb 2, 2017
you make excellent points, it's just the humor of it to not even pretend to make it look different. I wouldn't count them out. china had the world's largest economy for centuries. The Kirin processor has a lot of potential, and if they are incentivized to make it competitive-it will be.

Just a point of reference to really bad US policy, when they came up with "punishments" on trade for China, all that accomplished was to energize the world's largest country to get more competitive. so get ready for it, china will be surpassing us in technology in a few years.

Not when they can’t steal from us anymore. At best they’ll keep pace. If we get wise and stop outsourcing our IP to be manufactured in Chinese chop and steal shops what will they do then?

davidjytang

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2018
Leave the circles for unimaginative. Here is Huawei campus:

original.jpg
original.jpg
even their campus screams copycat.

unclemax

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2015
Also, regarding HarmonyOS, it's a fork of Android which Huawei kind of doesn't like to admit. It is helped by the fact that they have a completely different OS, also called "HarmonyOS" designed for IoT ?

rumz

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
Totally off topic:

Today I went to my local convenience store (in Shanghai) for a delicious Korean milk soda. On the left is the real one, on the right is the fake one.

I mean the attention to detail to copy every single thing is quite admirable.

View attachment 1785791
I do love me some “new feeling of soda beverage” :D Does the knock-off taste similar? And is it a lot cheaper? That is hilarious— even the soda gets copied.

Hildy

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2011
I don’t understand how Huawei is still allowed to be sold outside of China after what they did to Nortel. Why isn’t IP important anymore?

Reactions: Razorpit

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
It was not invented by Apple, lord ??
I would argue that it was. Others made devices of a roughly similar shape previously, but the way it all works as a whole product changed completely with the iPad. There are things that existed before that, and then there are iPads and iPad copies that existed after. Same way I'd argue Apple invented the smart phone as we know it.

Perhaps I should have said "product category" rather than "form factor".

PC_tech

Suspended
Jan 17, 2019
I would argue that it was. Others made devices of a roughly similar shape previously, but the way it all works as a whole product changed completely with the iPad. There are things that existed before that, and then there are iPads and iPad copies that existed after. Same way I'd argue Apple invented the smart phone as we know it.

Perhaps I should have said "product category" rather than "form factor".
You can argue until you're blue, doesn't make it any less true ? And they didn't invent the smartphone either ?

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
You can argue until you're blue, doesn't make it any less true ? And they didn't invent the smartphone either ?
I assume you mean "more true" there. ?

You're not good at nuance are you? ? Everything you object to in my statement was addressed if you actually read the specific words I used, eg "as we know it" regarding the smart phone, and, well, the whole rest of the paragraph regarding the iPad. ?

jhahnel

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2019

In an attempt to rival the iPad Pro and iPadOS, Huawei today launched three new tablets as part of its "MatePad" tablet lineup, including a new 10.8-inch and 12.6-inch MatePad Pro and the MatePad 11.

matepad-pro-the-verge.jpg

Image Credit: The Verge

As The Verge reports, all three devices are the first Huawei tablets to run its own "HarmonyOS" operating system, announced earlier in 2019. In addition, the smaller 10.8-inch MatePad Pro and MatePad 11 also feature Huawei's own custom-designed Kirin processor, rather than processors made by Snapdragon.

Due to political tensions, Huawei devices are stripped of privileges usually accustomed to Android devices, such as Google apps for users. HarmonyOS includes Huawei's "AppGallery," the equivalent of Apple's App Store and Google's Play Store for finding, distributing, and downloading apps and games.

In terms of specific end-user features, HarmonyOS borrows many ideas from Apple's iPadOS. Alongside the new tablets, Huawei also offers the "M-Pencil" stylus, drawing stark similarities to the Apple Pencil. HarmonyOS and M-Pencil are integrated software side by a feature called "FreeNote," which automatically translates written text in any text filed across the system into typed text. The feature is identical to Scribble, introduced in iPadOS 14 last year.

Screenshots of HarmonyOS shared on Twitter by leaker Evan Blass also showcase visual similarities to Apple's iPadOS.

Alongside the new tablets, Huawei also updated the M-Pencil stylus with improved and lower latency of 9ms, matching improvements made to the Apple Pencil with iPadOS 13. The new tablets have yet to be given a release date in Europe, but the 12.6-inch MatePad Pro will launch in China on June 10 for around $790.

Article Link: Huawei Borrows Heavily From iPad Pro With New 'MatePad Pro,' 'Harmony OS,' and 'M-Pencil'
Why do Asian countries and companies get away with stealing, copying, lying and denying what they do? It's pure evil and does nothing but show the world exactly who and what they are. Thieving scum. They have created NOTHING new, ever. Steal from the West and get away with it.

Reactions: Razorpit

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
I’d argue that they didn’t “borrow” pen support from Samsung as Microsoft had stylus support way before Samsung. Heck, for that matter I used several Palm devices back in the day with stylus’s. Then there were the Compaq devices and even Windows Mobile.

Do you ever check your facts? Look up the difference between a stylus and a Wacom pen.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Do you ever check your facts? Look up the difference between a stylus and a Wacom pen.

Let’s also ask Wacom:

1622744739075.png

Funny how both companies are happy to use the word “Stylus” and you’re not.

You wouldn’t trying to be scoring points off me, now would you?

Too funny….

Reactions: sinsin07

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Oh, I dunno, let’s ask Samsung, shall we?

View attachment 1786432

Providing irrelevant search results still doesn't show you know the difference between Wacom precision pen used in the 2012 Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet, Galaxy Note II phablet, etc. vs dumb imprecise stylus of Palm, Compaq iPaq and Windows Mobile devices. I've owned and used all those devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.