Huawei Continues 'Hole-Punch' Smartphone Trend With New Nova 4

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 17, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Chinese smartphone maker Huawei today introduced the Nova 4, featuring what has become known as a "hole-punch" display.

[​IMG]

The "hole-punch" design refers to the tiny hole for the 25-megapixel front camera, rather than the controversial notch, allowing for a nearly edge to edge display. Of course, this means the Nova 4 lacks the necessary sensors for 3D facial recognition and instead relies on a fingerprint scanner for authentication.

The display still has a thicker bottom bezel, known as a "chin," so this still isn't a completely full-screen design.

As noted by The Verge, the Nova 4 follows in the footsteps of Huawei's View 20 and Samsung's new Galaxy A8s as the latest smartphone with a "hole-punch" display. The Nova 4 also has a triple-lens rear camera setup, including a main 48-megapixel lens, a trend that some 2019 iPhones are expected to follow.

[​IMG]
    Galaxy A8s

There's a slim chance that Apple ever adopts the "hole-punch" design for iPhones due to the TrueDepth system for Face ID, unless it invents new ways to integrate all of the various sensors under the display. The more likely possibility is that the notch is here to stay for now, but gets slimmed down over time.

The Nova 4 is currently limited to China, priced around the equivalent of $490. Huawei will likely expand availability to select other regions soon, although its devices aren't available through any major carriers in the United States.

Article Link: Huawei Continues 'Hole-Punch' Smartphone Trend With New Nova 4

2. imom macrumors regular

imom

3. NinjaHERO macrumors 6502a

NinjaHERO

Or maybe just have a small bezel on the edge to hold all the camera gear. When did this become such a bad idea? Until the notch we were all fine with it.

4. AngerDanger, Dec 17, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2018

AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

This seems like the worst of both worlds; it's asymmetrical vertically and horizontally without the hardware to make 3D face scanning a security feature to rival Face ID.

And then there's the fact that it still has a chin.

But, look, if you're an iPhone owner hoping for a similar effect, I've got a DIY solution:

[​IMG]

5. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

Not gonna lie, I think that front camera / front of the phone design is straight FIRE! Though I'd prefer chin up top rather than down low.

I personally like the color gradient on the back too (at least in marketing photo)

Makes me wonder what 2019 iPhones will look like, I'm assuming just a slimmed down faceID (horizontally and vertically)

The competition is beating apple at their own game: design

6. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

But is it? That screen corner is totally useless for displaying anything, and unlike a notch it isn't symmetrical. Apple's notch is probably a bit big, but I prefer it to this. The OnePlus 6T notch looks far better than this hole punch fad, in my opinion.

Soon phone makers will start touting 'revolutionary smart sensor bars' at the top of phones, and we'll just be back where we started...

7. Heineken macrumors 6502a

Heineken

I will assume this is sarcasm.

8. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

FightTheFuture

Seems like a sacrifice just to hide a selfie camera.

9. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Aesthetically, possibly - there's still a chin. But that's down to the eye of the beholder.

Functionally? Absolutely not. The notch needs to be the size it is to house the Face ID components. Without that, it's form over function (which ironically people accuse Apple of).

10. videoholic macrumors newbie

I'd way more prefer the notch to this. Why wouldn't they just put the camera in the bottom where they already have a bezel? Or move the bezel area to the top.

11. e1me5 macrumors regular

e1me5

Why, what's wrong with the 12 megapixels?

12. AndyDiamond macrumors 6502

AndyDiamond

because numbers on paper are always better :p

13. shareef777 Suspended

shareef777

Curious if the bottom is a capacitive touch control bar. Would explain the chin. Otherwise would have made more sense to put it at the top and put the camera in it (if possible).

14. AnthonyG6 macrumors regular

AnthonyG6

The front and rear camera specs are amazing! Does Apple have a patent over the folded screen to eliminate the chin? Without the chin it would be almost perfect in design but I think I would miss FaceID which is just magical! Maybe in a few years Apple will manage to either miniaturise the FaceID module or develop a way to house it under the screen?

15. Zelda Chestnut macrumors newbie

So obviously I have never seen or used this in real life, but I feel like this would be way worse than the notch. Personally the notch doesn't bother me at all (I have actually grown to like it). It is structured so you kind of forget that it's there, especially for how one typically uses their phone vertically. The little "ears" just become drop-down menus (that highlight little bits of info), and it makes sense. This hole, on the other hand -- I feel like it would look like there was something on the screen at all times that you couldn't get rid of. Again, I would need to see it person, but I don't think this will "blend away" nearly as well as the notch.

16. Cryates macrumors 68020

Cryates

While the top-half looks good to my eyes from an aesthetics standpoint, I really cannot take these designs seriously until the chin is eliminated. I’m dumbfounded that these competing brands have not found a way to hide the display controller. Especially Samsung, who is absolutely the best OLED maker on the planet.

17. DNichter macrumors 604

DNichter

Not a big fan of the design (chin and hole punch), but I am guessing it'll be just fine for a lot of people. I use iOS so it doesn't make much difference to me.

18. Poonaka macrumors member

I completely disagree. The camera pulls your eye away from what you want to be looking at. The empty chin also makes it look like they forgot to centre the screen or something. I'm not a notch fan but this design is definitely worse.

19. Bacillus Suspended

Bacillus

As a notch-lover, it must drive you crazy that you could have achieved the same effect with a piece of black tape on earlier iPhones - years ago

20. AnthonyG6 macrumors regular

AnthonyG6

And yet Samsung doesn't make any OLED TV's

21. keysofanxiety, Dec 17, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2018

keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Didn't realise that sticking on a piece of black tape would enable 3D face recognition or suddenly make the rest of the display edge-to-edge.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong. @AngerDanger, could you help me out with a GIF outlining how to follow Bacillus' steps? I'm really struggling.

22. magicschoolbus macrumors 65816

magicschoolbus

I'd rather just have a bezel instead of what looks to be a hole in the display.

23. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

I guess that the other cell phone makers haven't innovated enough for Huawei to change the design.

24. Tsuius macrumors regular

A camera cut out and a double chin seems pointless to me as others have said. I love haweii though, warm waters and great people ;-)

25. BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

Notch (iPhone X) doesn’t only have one camera.
    Still though, how this companies can’t figure out to make phones chin slimmer is mind boggling!